Display optionsMobile website

Discussion Forums

The Akan Weekly names??????

All about God and Gods

Moderators: deciiva, Q' lypse

The Akan Weekly names??????

Postby Oneal » Sat Jan 13, 2007 7:49 pm

Can Anyone plz help me with this subject, am looking into the meanings and the actaul names of the week before the Europeans got to Ghana.
That is from Monday to Sunday in Akan.
Any help will be grately appriciated.
Thanks.

N hey am also new here n wanna say hi to every one. God bless.
Oneal
Kindergarten
Kindergarten

Postby Q' lypse » Sat Jan 13, 2007 8:09 pm

What I can help you with is, there were 8 days in a week according to the Akan calender. In twi we say naawotwe, meaning a week therefore 8days.
Q' lypse
Phd
Phd

Re: The Akan Weekly names??????

Postby Justin White (kwame) » Sat Jan 13, 2007 8:11 pm

Oneal wrote:Can Anyone plz help me with this subject, am looking into the meanings and the actaul names of the week before the Europeans got to Ghana.
Thanks.

welcome!!
Justin White (kwame)
BSc
BSc

Re: The Akan Weekly names??????

Postby General-Lucifer » Sat Jan 13, 2007 8:25 pm

Oneal wrote:Can Anyone plz help me with this subject, am looking into the meanings and the actaul names of the week before the Europeans got to Ghana.
Thanks.

Don't know if the akan names of the week I know of today were different before the European came to Ghana.I strongly suspect the name were as it was when our ancestors handed them over to us. Here you are: (some characters that helps the correct akan pronouciation cannot be found in the english alphabets; I will advise you to consult an Akan lexicon for the correct pronouciation)

English ----------------- Akan

Sunday----- kwasiada
Monday ---- edwoada (3dwoada)
Tuesday ---- [ibenada
Wednesday ---- Wukuada
Thursday ---- Yawada
Friday---- efiada
Saturday--- Memeneda

Hope this will help.All the best
Last edited by General-Lucifer on Sat Jan 13, 2007 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
General-Lucifer
SSS
SSS

Postby General-Lucifer » Sat Jan 13, 2007 8:30 pm

qlypse wrote:What I can help you with is, there were 8 days in a week according to the Akan calender. In twi we say naawotwe, meaning a week therefore 8days.

Hey qlypse ---help by adding the name of the eighth day;I'm at loss :lol: :lol:
General-Lucifer
SSS
SSS

Postby ashanti-queen » Sat Jan 13, 2007 9:27 pm

der is no eighth name
ashanti-queen
Taking A-level
Taking A-level

Postby Q' lypse » Sat Jan 13, 2007 9:30 pm

lucyfa wrote:
qlypse wrote:What I can help you with is, there were 8 days in a week according to the Akan calender. In twi we say naawotwe, meaning a week therefore 8days.

Ok, ok. What is one week in Twi?
Q' lypse
Phd
Phd

Postby Ekelksupa™ » Sat Jan 13, 2007 9:55 pm

You got me to think really hard boi...
Nawontwe definitely means 8 days
so how come we have 7?..

Cos the name Awotwe is 8th born in a family..
I have to verify this...Nice and well spot on qlypse
Ekelksupa™
Otumfuo of the House
Otumfuo of the House

Postby General-Lucifer » Sat Jan 13, 2007 10:00 pm

ashanti-queen wrote:der is no eighth name

If there wasn't an eighth day, why then do Akans call one week nnawotwe which literally means eight days ,but not nnanson which translates into seven days?
General-Lucifer
SSS
SSS

Postby ashanti-queen » Sat Jan 13, 2007 10:08 pm

lucyfa wrote:

If there wasn't an eighth day, why then do Akans call one week nnawotwe which literally means eight days ,but not nnanson which translates into seven days?

gud question, but den aint herd no eighth name for a person like.. der is abena, kwaku etc. wil do sum searchin dough
ashanti-queen
Taking A-level
Taking A-level

Postby General-Lucifer » Sat Jan 13, 2007 10:19 pm

qlypse wrote:
lucyfa wrote:

Ok, ok. What is one week in Twi?

Yo qlypse--You are right on the money :lol: One week in Akan is naawotwe.And yes ,The Akan had their own calander just as the Chinese and the Arabs had theirs before the arrival of the Europeans.

So it is possible that, to keep up with the changes and pressures brought by the west,the Akans way of keeping track with the days of the week slipped gradually into oblivion, thus causing this discrepancy in translation.

Perhaps, Oneal, the dude who want answers for this very question is in this delimma as much as we are.

Folks out there what are your takes on this?
General-Lucifer
SSS
SSS

Postby General-Lucifer » Sat Jan 13, 2007 10:30 pm

ashanti-queen wrote:
lucyfa wrote:

gud question, but den aint herd no eighth name for a person like.. der is abena, kwaku etc. wil do sum searchin dough

That's also a very good point, queen.No Akan name corresponds to the an eight day hmmm--you,re damm right :lol: :lol:

But queen --as ashanti queen- knowledged in history and- tradition- why don't you do us a favour with some reasonable explanation?nana br3br3 :D :D :lol:
General-Lucifer
SSS
SSS

Postby General-Lucifer » Sat Jan 13, 2007 10:40 pm

¤Apuskleke¤™ wrote:

so how come we have 7?..

What about you Otumfuo? --the man himself?You're the epitome of akan traditon.please don't leave us wanting or you'll be booted out of the sikadwakofi.We need answers :lol: :lol:
General-Lucifer
SSS
SSS

weekly names

Postby Oneal » Sun Jan 14, 2007 2:01 am

Hey guys thank u very much for ur help i appreciate that alot.
But if the meanings can be added it wud be much better . again my main attraction is the to weekend dayz i.e Saturday n sunday.
i understand saturday being " The I am that I am's day" -being the literal translation of memenda/me ne me da. but y that of sunday waz that b4 the whiteman or after the whiteman.
again i kinda pounded on reading that our fathers called it kwasiada(sunday) be cuz its da whitemans day due to their introduction of sundayworship. plz add more infor if anyone has any.
thnx again for ur help.
[/b]
Oneal
Kindergarten
Kindergarten

Re: weekly names

Postby Succinct » Sun Jan 14, 2007 9:21 am

Oneal wrote:Hey guys thank u very much for ur help i appreciate that alot.
But if the meanings can be added it wud be much better . again my main attraction is the to weekend dayz i.e Saturday n sunday.
i understand saturday being " The I am that I am's day" -being the literal translation of memenda/me ne me da. but y that of sunday waz that b4 the whiteman or after the whiteman.
again i kinda pounded on reading that our fathers called it kwasiada(sunday) be cuz its da whitemans day due to their introduction of sundayworship. plz add more infor if anyone has any.
thnx again for ur help.
[/b]

wow, i wasn't even paying attention to that, but kwasiada certainly means "kwasia's day" which will translate as "#%!&'s day". perhaps it's because of the "nkwaseasem" of the foreign worship system introduced that they named it that way...

oh, and if it helps, the whiteman was also called "kwasi buroni", apparently named after "kwasiada"!!
Succinct
MSc
MSc

Re: weekly names

Postby Ekelksupa™ » Sun Jan 14, 2007 11:34 am

Succinct wrote:
Oneal wrote:Hey guys thank u very much for ur help i appreciate that alot.
thnx again for ur help.
[/b]

wow, i wasn't even paying attention to that, but kwasiada certainly means "kwasia's day" which will translate as "#%!&'s day". perhaps it's because of the "nkwaseasem" of the foreign worship system introduced that they named it that way...

oh, and if it helps, the whiteman was also called "kwasi buroni", apparently named after "kwasiada"!!

Meaning the white man is Kwasia ...Foolish White man = Kwasi"a" Broni and its true
Ekelksupa™
Otumfuo of the House
Otumfuo of the House

Postby Ekelksupa™ » Sun Jan 14, 2007 11:35 am

lucyfa wrote:
¤Apuskleke¤™ wrote:

so how come we have 7?..

What about you Otumfuo? --the man himself?You're the epitome of akan traditon.please don't leave us wanting or you'll be booted out of the sikadwakofi.We need answers :lol: :lol:

I'm still doing some research
this one na tough one o :lol:
Ekelksupa™
Otumfuo of the House
Otumfuo of the House

Postby Q' lypse » Sun Jan 14, 2007 12:20 pm

I started this nawotwe bowl of confusion thing. I get to correct it right? :D . I asked a grandfather of mine why Akans call it nawotwe. This is the deal according to him and I don't doubt that its false.

He said the Akan calender has always had a week as 7 days. But for example if a person dies lets say on a Sunday, we start counting a week from the Sunday that he died on so making a week sound like 8 days. If this is sounds confusing count by counting from Sunday to the next Sunday, you get 8 days therefore nawotwe :D , yeeeee!

Oneal you made another crucial point on Saturday 'Me ne me da'. I'm part of the royal family of Agona Ashanti :roll: . My grandfather told me when his father was the king (Nana Kwame Boakye) in the 1930s, the white man was already there with his Presbyterian Christian religion. Later the SDA (Seventh Day Adventist) arrived and the king, Nana Kwame Boakye told the whiteman-SDA to shove it because he (whiteman) has a brother (the Presby) who was over there in Agona with his Church. The SDA whiteman stood up and said just because they are both whites don't mean they are brothers. The Presby worships his God/god on Sundays and I (SDA-whiteman) worship my God/god on Saturdays. As soon as Nana Kwame heard this he said, since you worship your God/god on Saturdays then we will get along fine. I, Nana Kwame Boakye of Agona, I'm the Okomfo of Ashanteman (we have our roots all the way back to Komfo Anokye by the way) we worship our God/god on Saturdays too in Christian terms the Sabbath. Nana Kwame gave the a large land in Agona to the SDAs. If you go to Agona now the SDA Church is right behind the Ahenfie and the only secondary school in Agona is the SDA Secondary School. The Presbyterians don't got it like that. This making Me ne me da making more sense, yes? :o because of the day of worship for the Akans.

But my grandfather said, the some of the days of the week have somehow being hybrid with European culture. That sucks,bibinii blackman, we had such rich culture all screwed up now. Screw all that :x :roll: :(
Q' lypse
Phd
Phd

Postby Ekelksupa™ » Sun Jan 14, 2007 12:26 pm

qlypse wrote:I started this nawotwe bowl of confusion thing. I get to correct it right? :D . I asked a grandfather of mine why Akans call it nawotwe. This is the deal according to him and I don't doubt that its false.

He said the Akan calender has always had a week as 7 days. But for example if a person dies lets say on a Sunday, we start counting a week from the Sunday that he died on so making a week sound like 8 days. If this is sounds confusing count by counting from Sunday to the next Sunday, you get 8 days therefore nawotwe :D , yeeeee!

Oneal you made another crucial point on Saturday 'Me ne me da'. I'm part of the royal family of Agona Ashanti :roll: . My grandfather told me when his father was the king (Nana Kwame Boakye) in the 1930s, the white man was already there with his Presbyterian Christian religion. Later the SDA (Seventh Day Adventist) arrived and the king, Nana Kwame Boakye told the whiteman-SDA to shove it because he (whiteman) has a brother (the Presby) who was over there in Agona with his Church. The SDA whiteman stood up and said just because they are both whites don't mean they are brothers. The Presby worships his God/god on Sundays and I (SDA-whiteman) worship my God/god on Saturdays. As soon as Nana Kwame heard this he said, since you worship your God/god on Saturdays then we will get along fine. I, Nana Kwame Boakye of Agona, I'm the Okomfo of Ashanteman (we have our roots all the way back to Komfo Anokye by the way) we worship our God/god on Saturdays too in Christian terms the Sabbath. Nana Kwame gave the a large land in Agona to the SDAs. If you go to Agona now the SDA Church is right behind the Ahenfie and the only secondary school in Agona is the SDA Secondary School. The Presbyterians don't got it like that. This making Me ne me da making more sense, yes? :o because of the day of worship for the Akans.

But my grandfather said, the some of the days of the week have somehow being hybrid with European culture. That sucks,bibinii blackman, we had such rich culture all screwed up now. Screw all that :x :roll: :(

Big ups to you qlypse...wo make tears flow me waa waa with all those history..

The Agona bits touched me so much and I know understand why my mum asked me to choose Agona SDA secondary school when I was in JSS 3 some few yrs ago.

She did everything in her capability to at least make it my last choice out of the three.

Me me ne da and Home da = Saturday and the Sabbath.

[The nawontwe one also makes some great sense wow :D ]

Qlypse..waben
Ekelksupa™
Otumfuo of the House
Otumfuo of the House

Postby Succinct » Sun Jan 14, 2007 12:59 pm

glypse, what your grandfather affirmed, and what oneal hinted at about saturday--me ne me da--being a day of worship, or more literally, "i am that i am 's day throws up a lot of interesting ideas.

if the akans recognise saturday as a day of worship, how and why and when did they develop this tradition? and is it possible that the idea of "me ne me da" really has got some connections with the biblical god who calls --self "I am that i am"?

will this in turn suggest that akan worship forms are related to jewish forms, or would support the theory--actually advanced by a lot of africanist scholars--that present day ghanaians are in fact descendants of the jews in history?

well, just for a back-up, at least we know not all jews are europeanesque; at least, the jewish communities of india and the falasha jews of ethiopia are as "black" are it ever gets...

well...let's brainstorm the possibilities...
Succinct
MSc
MSc

Next

Return to Osofo Joint (religion)