Display optionsMobile website

Discussion Forums

Seven Cameroon athletes go missing (footballer included)

Talk about the latest matches, your club, etc

Moderators: deciiva, kebashorificatious

Postby Akokora Gyeene » Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:02 pm

keen observer wrote:
Doctor No wrote:
Akokora Gyeene wrote:
Doctor No wrote:
Akokora Gyeene wrote:
Doctor No wrote:
Akokora Gyeene wrote:
Doctor No wrote:
Dekosman wrote:So What? And who cares?
This is nothing new?
Allow them to try their luck in Europe.....
They might win Gold in Car washing
Silver in Office cleaning (apra-pra)
and maybe Bronze in trolley pushing at Tesco!!
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Good Luck!!

You think they don't know that before they defected? The conditions in Cameroon are worse for them.

It's not always true that it is worse for them back home. Some fall in love with the romanticized propaganda of what the Europe/America of easy lifestyle and dream jobs and unimpeded access to opportunity and fulfillment of dreams. This is not always the case, no where cool ooo :idea:

Biya has destroyed their country and rendered them hopeless and they are willing to try their luck and sacrifice somewhere else. I don't blame them. Good luck to them...with hard work and vision where ever they go, who knows what they will become...some could be Pharmacists or Doctors as there are many Cameroonians I know who are doctors and pharmacists today. They deserve an opportunity, an opportunity denied them by the nefarious Paul Biya.
Didn't you take your chance by coming to the west as well?

Mind you many of these athletes typically don't have the strongest educational background. I generally agree with you but it's not always going to be better elsewhere. Like I said, there are doctors/pharmacist etc back home as well. Without documents in the west its going to be a long road ahead...but I agree with you generally that if its worse for you individually you should go but I just want to recognize that sometimes Europe/America can be just as bad if not worse.

With time they can apply for legal status just like everyone else did either by marrying a citizen of their host country or by immigration lottery. Don't underestimate the determination of human being. You don't know their educational background to say these athletes don't have a solid foundation. You are writing them off too soon. I will encourage anyone that have the drive and determination to excel to go anywhere in the world to get whatever he/she desires. People are making it somewhere else and they should try their luck as well. Ultimately, they are seeking to make the lives of themselves and the ones dear to them better. I respect that. We are/were all immigrants at some point in our host countries.

One of my friends has been in britain for over 15 years without papers. I know many in the US as well living here for ages without documents...doing menial jobs, barely surviving, living in crowded apartments from paycheck to paycheck.

But you haven't mentioned those who have made it out of that difficult situation and excelled. In every bad situation, something good comes out of it. Who knows what tomorrow holds for your friends who's been here for 15 years? A little thinking here and there could change his situation around. People spend 30 years without anything and still not giving up hope...

His friend would probably be selling dog chains in Ghana.

Wrong, the guy was an electrician in Ghana. He was working with some British guys who game him an invitation to meet their company leaders and party and he decided to bounce....
Akokora Gyeene
Phd
Phd

Postby Fremacious* » Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:07 pm

Doctor No wrote:
Akokora Gyeene wrote:
Doctor No wrote:
Akokora Gyeene wrote:
Doctor No wrote:
Dekosman wrote:So What? And who cares?
This is nothing new?
Allow them to try their luck in Europe.....
They might win Gold in Car washing
Silver in Office cleaning (apra-pra)
and maybe Bronze in trolley pushing at Tesco!!
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Good Luck!!

You think they don't know that before they defected? The conditions in Cameroon are worse for them.

It's not always true that it is worse for them back home. Some fall in love with the romanticized propaganda of what the Europe/America of easy lifestyle and dream jobs and unimpeded access to opportunity and fulfillment of dreams. This is not always the case, no where cool ooo :idea:

Biya has destroyed their country and rendered them hopeless and they are willing to try their luck and sacrifice somewhere else. I don't blame them. Good luck to them...with hard work and vision where ever they go, who knows what they will become...some could be Pharmacists or Doctors as there are many Cameroonians I know who are doctors and pharmacists today. They deserve an opportunity, an opportunity denied them by the nefarious Paul Biya.
Didn't you take your chance by coming to the west as well?

Mind you many of these athletes typically don't have the strongest educational background. I generally agree with you but it's not always going to be better elsewhere. Like I said, there are doctors/pharmacist etc back home as well. Without documents in the west its going to be a long road ahead...but I agree with you generally that if its worse for you individually you should go but I just want to recognize that sometimes Europe/America can be just as bad if not worse.

With time they can apply for legal status just like everyone else did either by marrying a citizen of their host country or by immigration lottery. Don't underestimate the determination of human being. You don't know their educational background to say these athletes don't have a solid foundation. You are writing them off too soon. I will encourage anyone that have the drive and determination to excel to go anywhere in the world to get whatever he/she desires. People are making it somewhere else and they should try their luck as well. Ultimately, they are seeking to make the lives of themselves and the ones dear to them better. I respect that. We are/were all immigrants at some point in our host countries.

Kpom 8)
Fremacious*
Phd
Phd

Postby Kofi Jolof » Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:08 pm

Times are so rough bredas dey show up in foreign lands looking for better life talking about they are "here about the blow job"
Kofi Jolof
MSc
MSc

Postby Akokora Gyeene » Wed Aug 08, 2012 12:12 am

I forgot to mention, there is a new trend of well educated people in the US/Europe going back home to Ghana to work and live there. Clearly these people who have the choice of both are choosing Ghana. But certainly if you are rock bottom in Africa then it won't hurt to try your luck elsewhere but I think no where is really easy and we need to counter the propaganda that the US/Europe is always better.
Akokora Gyeene
Phd
Phd

Postby quophi aletse » Wed Aug 08, 2012 12:29 am

Akokora Gyeene wrote:I forgot to mention, there is a new trend of well educated people in the US/Europe going back home to Ghana to work and live there. Clearly these people who have the choice of both are choosing Ghana. But certainly if you are rock bottom in Africa then it won't hurt to try your luck elsewhere but I think no where is really easy and we need to counter the propaganda that the US/Europe is always better.

masa not just ghanaians ....... african americans are also migrating to ghana and africa in general ........ these african americans are well educated, professors, nurses, doctors and all and are re locating in cape coast and other places outside of accra.....

they also go to the slave forts to bring closure to the emotional baggage that has been passed on from generation to generation to them as a result of the slave trade and many even report of experiencing some extra-sensory experience while in the forts......
quophi aletse
Heavy Hitter
Heavy Hitter

Postby Kwakubaboni » Wed Aug 08, 2012 12:33 am

If the Olympic games was in Azerbajan or Turkmenistan, these athletes would have stayed put but the lure of the "Lorndorn" living and the "punda" was too attractive. There wouldnt be too much absconding in Brazil in 2016 trust me. A lot of Ghanaians pray for a good western European country to host international sporting events so they can go under the guise of supporting their team and then abscond. In the case of Cameroun they can seek political asylum since they have a dictator who has been President for 30 years.
Kwakubaboni
BSc
BSc

Postby quophi aletse » Wed Aug 08, 2012 12:42 am

yes oooo ...... there is this thing about abrokyire that is imbedded in the african's psyche i dont kno how to put it in word ..... i remember when i was a kid in ghana and i had this idea of abrokyire within my psyche..... and mind u i was living comfortably by ghanaian standards as my parents were living abroad. in JSS 1 i remember i called my fada all the time to allow me to come for a visit to quench my hunger for abrokyire and when i came back to ghana for JSS 2 .... come see fans :lol: :lol: :lol:

small boys were young paaa
quophi aletse
Heavy Hitter
Heavy Hitter

Postby el Padrino » Wed Aug 08, 2012 12:56 am

quophi aletse wrote:yes oooo ...... there is this thing about abrokyire that is imbedded in the african's psyche i dont kno how to put it in word ..... i remember when i was a kid in ghana and i had this idea of abrokyire within my psyche..... and mind u i was living comfortably by ghanaian standards as my parents were living abroad. in JSS 1 i remember i called my fada all the time to allow me to come for a visit to quench my hunger for abrokyire and when i came back to ghana for JSS 2 .... come see fans :lol: :lol: :lol:

8) 8)
el Padrino
Phd
Phd

Postby the pope » Wed Aug 08, 2012 1:47 am

They are probably hiding in a closet in Buckingham Palace or hiding in Big Ben. They will come out once the games are over :lol: :lol: :lol:
the pope
BSc
BSc

Postby Q' lypse » Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:19 am

quophi aletse wrote:yes oooo ...... there is this thing about abrokyire that is imbedded in the african's psyche i dont kno how to put it in word ..... i remember when i was a kid in ghana and i had this idea of abrokyire within my psyche..... and mind u i was living comfortably by ghanaian standards as my parents were living abroad. in JSS 1 i remember i called my fada all the time to allow me to come for a visit to quench my hunger for abrokyire and when i came back to ghana for JSS 2 .... come see fans :lol: :lol: :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol: now u r going to be king when u go back
Q' lypse
Phd
Phd

Re: Seven Cameroon athletes go missing (footballer included)

Postby Q' lypse » Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:22 am

tawia wrote:YAOUNDE (Reuters) - Seven Cameroon athletes have disappeared while in Britain for the London Olympics, the Ministry of Sports and Physical Education said on Monday evening.
The seven - five boxers, a swimmer and a soccer player - are suspected of having left to stay in Europe for economic reasons.
"What began as rumor has finally turned out to be true. Seven Cameroonian athletes who participated at the 2012 London Olympic Games have disappeared from the Olympic Village," David Ojong, the mission head said in a message sent to the ministry.
Ojong said a reserve goalkeeper for the women's soccer team, Drusille Ngako, was the first to disappear. She was not one of the 18 finally retained after pre-Olympic training in Scotland.
While her team-mates left for Coventry for their last preparatory encounter against New Zealand, she vanished. A few days later, swimmer Paul Ekane Edingue and his personal belongings were also not found in his room.
Ojong added that five boxers eliminated from the games, Thomas Essomba, Christian Donfack Adjoufack, Abdon Mewoli, Blaise Yepmou Mendouo and Serge Ambomo, disappeared on Sunday from the Olympic village.
International Olympic Committee officials said on Tuesday they had heard nothing about the missing athletes.
"We are unaware of it," IOC spokesman Mark Adams said when asked whether organizers had heard of it.
It is not the first time Cameroonian athletes have disappeared during international sports competitions.
At past Francophonie and Commonwealth games as well as junior soccer competitions, several Cameroonians have quit their delegation without official consent.

eh hard oo

Q' lypse
Phd
Phd

PreviousNext

Return to Football