Display optionsMobile website

Discussion Forums

Black Stars players talk too much - Stephen Appiah

Talk about the latest matches, your club, etc

Moderators: deciiva, kebashorificatious

Black Stars players talk too much - Stephen Appiah

Postby African » Wed Jun 13, 2012 5:55 am

Former Black Stars captain Stephen Appiah believes the current crop of national team players “talk too much.”

Appiah, who captained the Stars to their two previous appearances at the Fifa World Cup in 2006 and 2010, feels there is a tendency to lose focus when players speak on too many occasions ahead of crucial matches.

“The players talk too much,” he said in an interview with Asempa Sports adding that “during my time we were not talking too much.”

“Essien, Sulley and I were not talking too much.” They should keep quiet and let their feet do the talking.”

Ghana suffered a painful 1:0 loss to Zambia in 2014 World Cup qualifier last Saturday but Appiah is confident that the Stars can still secure qualification drawing on the team’s previous experience in 2005.

“I remember we lost our first game against Burkina Faso in 2005 but we still qualified (for the 2006 World Cup).”

The one-time inspirational captain of the Stars also said “we should encourage Kwasi Appiah to succeed.”

Appiah, who made his debut for the Black Stars in 1996, played a major role during his playing time of the Black Stars as he made 68 appearances and scored 17 goals.

He retired from the national team after the 2010 Fifa World Cup in South Africa and currently plays for Serbian side Vojvodina.
African
MSc
MSc

Postby African » Wed Jun 13, 2012 5:58 am

It is obvious he is referring to Derek Boateng, Agyemang Badu and some of the new invites. But I think they are not to blame. The current Ghana Media is so aggressive and you can't just ignore them.
African
MSc
MSc

Postby modinsane » Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:07 am

African wrote:It is obvious he is referring to Derek Boateng, Agyemang Badu and some of the new invites. But I think they are not to blame. The current Ghana Media is so aggressive and you can't just ignore them.

Why and how can't you ignore them (the media)? who made Agyeman Badu the spokesman of the team? He talks too much! aaaba!!
modinsane
BSc
BSc

Re: Black Stars players talk too much - Stephen Appiah

Postby Flexx » Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:49 am

African wrote:Former Black Stars captain Stephen Appiah believes the current crop of national team players “talk too much.”

Appiah, who captained the Stars to their two previous appearances at the Fifa World Cup in 2006 and 2010, feels there is a tendency to lose focus when players speak on too many occasions ahead of crucial matches.

“The players talk too much,” he said in an interview with Asempa Sports adding that “during my time we were not talking too much.”

“Essien, Sulley and I were not talking too much.” They should keep quiet and let their feet do the talking.”

Ghana suffered a painful 1:0 loss to Zambia in 2014 World Cup qualifier last Saturday but Appiah is confident that the Stars can still secure qualification drawing on the team’s previous experience in 2005.

“I remember we lost our first game against Burkina Faso in 2005 but we still qualified (for the 2006 World Cup).”

The one-time inspirational captain of the Stars also said “we should encourage Kwasi Appiah to succeed.”

Appiah, who made his debut for the Black Stars in 1996, played a major role during his playing time of the Black Stars as he made 68 appearances and scored 17 goals.

He retired from the national team after the 2010 Fifa World Cup in South Africa and currently plays for Serbian side Vojvodina.

Our phenomenal ex-captain Appiah is right...

Major culprits:

Agyeman-Badu
Derek Boatema
Asamoah Gyan
Sulley Muntari

"This is a must win match, but it will not be easy...." as the fans don't already know that
"They didn't deserve to win...."
"He was a just a physical trainer..."
"I am the star of the team...."
"We are playing like Barca..." Really? Show-stopper Stopilla Sunzu has something to say about that.

... on and on and on..... only to LOSE matches in the end.

Every player has something to say, but please keep a lid on it and do the talking on the pitch. Too much talking puts pressure on you. Example, how many Zambian players did anyone hear running their mouths before our game?

I really miss the BS of 2006.
Last edited by Flexx on Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:00 am, edited 2 times in total.
Flexx
SSS
SSS

Postby Flexx » Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:58 am

Flexx
SSS
SSS

Postby Sammybee » Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:18 am

the media is also part of the blame.They have started it on Atsu.
The captain is suppose to speak on behalf of the players.
Sammybee
BSc
BSc

Postby B DIDDY » Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:45 am

Sammybee wrote:the media is also part of the blame.They have started it on Atsu.
The captain is suppose to speak on behalf of the players.

come on what was not written about Essien back in 2005? Appiah is right these guys need to learn how to say no comment or smile and move on

anyways I hope Sannie was hired to also give these players some advise and tips on how to handle themselves with the media
B DIDDY
Phd
Phd

Postby kebashorificatious » Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:54 am

I hope Stephen Appiah joins the Black Stars technical team very soon. His ongoing club career should just be a minor obstacle.
kebashorificatious

Postby Dovifat » Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:44 am

A detailed strategy to handle the media is an integral part of every FA's job these days.

kebashorificatious wrote:I hope Stephen Appiah joins the Black Stars technical team very soon. His ongoing club career should just be a minor obstacle.

:lol: :lol:
Dovifat
BSc
BSc

Postby B DIDDY » Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:47 am

Dovifat wrote:A detailed strategy to handle the media is an integral part of every FA's job these days.

kebashorificatious wrote:I hope Stephen Appiah joins the Black Stars technical team very soon. His ongoing club career should just be a minor obstacle.

:lol: :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
B DIDDY
Phd
Phd

Postby Kwame Banahene » Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:02 am

Would prefer a mixture of both really:

A little bit of talking and letting the feet

Do even more talking ! :P :P :P
Kwame Banahene
BSc
BSc

Postby Q' lypse » Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:08 am

Its the bloody media. Im currently in Ghana, and i dont watch tv much but the few timed I've watched tv I've seen microphone and tv cameras shoved in Annan's face,Dede which looked like he was buying fuel in a petrol station (i mean wtf). Dede said he will b back in 3wks or a nths time and no.w the qualifying matches are do o r die.

Muntari was at Osu castle yesterday meeting the vp. giving him a replica of the uefa champ cup and one of his jerseys at Inter. What he said on camera wasn't even necesssary. too much media. wc performance has given us a big head.
Q' lypse
Phd
Phd

Postby Lion_O_Judah » Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:12 pm

Because the current crop of Black Stars players lack leadership, we someone like back in the fold Mr Appiah Capito. :idea:
Lion_O_Judah
MSc
MSc

Postby ChocIce? » Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:27 pm

Thank u Capito!
ChocIce?
BSc
BSc

Postby NaMrecco$ » Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:53 pm

Q' lypse wrote:Its the bloody media. Im currently in Ghana, and i dont watch tv much but the few timed I've watched tv I've seen microphone and tv cameras shoved in Annan's face,Dede which looked like he was buying fuel in a petrol station (i mean wtf). Dede said he will b back in 3wks or a nths time and no.w the qualifying matches are do o r die.

Muntari was at Osu castle yesterday meeting the vp. giving him a replica of the uefa champ cup and one of his jerseys at Inter. What he said on camera wasn't even necesssary. too much media. wc performance has given us a big head.
THATS exacrtly what i was gonna say... players cant help it to say something .. we have the twitters and the fb etc ..

one question tho... the players never said anything bad... its only in ghanba that when u are asked and question and u answer, u are labelled whoo whoo or you talk too much... nobody disrespected the zmabians before the match... all the players that came out to talk before the game said they were all serious and didnt wanna use the game as a revenge etc,... what is wrong with that??
NaMrecco$
Professor
Professor

Postby The Ugandan... » Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:07 pm

NaMrecco$ wrote:
Q' lypse wrote:Its the bloody media. Im currently in Ghana, and i dont watch tv much but the few timed I've watched tv I've seen microphone and tv cameras shoved in Annan's face,Dede which looked like he was buying fuel in a petrol station (i mean wtf). Dede said he will b back in 3wks or a nths time and no.w the qualifying matches are do o r die.

THATS exacrtly what i was gonna say... players cant help it to say something .. we have the twitters and the fb etc ..

one question tho... the players never said anything bad... its only in ghanba that when u are asked and question and u answer, u are labelled whoo whoo or you talk too much... nobody disrespected the zmabians before the match... all the players that came out to talk before the game said they were all serious and didnt wanna use the game as a revenge etc,... what is wrong with that??
You need to read and re-read Flexx's post in blue above.
The Ugandan...
BSc
BSc

Postby NaMrecco$ » Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:10 pm

The Ugandan... wrote:
NaMrecco$ wrote:

You need to read and re-read Flexx's post in blue above.
????
NaMrecco$
Professor
Professor

Postby TGAA_Star » Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:14 pm

Yes I would even like to see Appiah as an assistant coach, because with him as an assistant coach to A.A., I think that it would pay off and that is my honest opinion
TGAA_Star
BSc
BSc

Postby Ekow » Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:22 pm

talk only?

they fight too much too
ask derek and jordan
Ekow
Guru
Guru

Postby dr.luv » Wed Jun 13, 2012 3:45 pm

When I sad Badu was talking too much, I was almost swallowed by my usual nemesis :lol: I think Appiah was referring to Agymenag Badu! Dude needs to learn to shush!
dr.luv
BSc
BSc

Next

Return to Football