Display optionsMobile website

Discussion Forums

Hiplife Question???

social issues & funny stuff

Moderators: deciiva, Q' lypse

Hiplife Question???

Postby Stagger » Sat May 12, 2012 6:26 pm

Was approached by my nephews regarding a question they had about hiplife. Since I'm not well informed about the genre, I know there are people here who definately know more about it than me. Their question was did Azigiza come out with his album before Reggie Rockstone and if so, why is Reggie considered the father of hiplife if Azigiza released his album before his?
Stagger
SSS
SSS

Re: Hiplife Question???

Postby Dr Vyrus » Sat May 12, 2012 7:41 pm

Stagger wrote:Was approached by my nephews regarding a question they had about hiplife. Since I'm not well informed about the genre, I know there are people here who definately know more about it than me. Their question was did Azigiza come out with his album before Reggie Rockstone and if so, why is Reggie considered the father of hiplife if Azigiza released his album before his?
Azigiza like many before him came out with a rap album . Reggie named his music hiplife. Before Azigiza a number of people had come out with rap music in Ghana but the name hiplife was coined by Reggie hence him being the grandpapa of hip life
Dr Vyrus
MSc
MSc

Postby Stagger » Sat May 12, 2012 8:51 pm

Dr Vyrus wrote:
Stagger wrote:Was approached by my nephews regarding a question they had about hiplife. Since I'm not well informed about the genre, I know there are people here who definately know more about it than me. Their question was did Azigiza come out with his album before Reggie Rockstone and if so, why is Reggie considered the father of hiplife if Azigiza released his album before his?
Azigiza like many before him came out with a rap album . Reggie named his music hiplife. Before Azigiza a number of people had come out with rap music in Ghana but the name hiplife was coined by Reggie hence him being the grandpapa of hip life

Ok... Thanks waaa... Who were the others that came before Reggie? Is it albums or just singles?
Stagger
SSS
SSS

Postby bottoss_watcher » Mon May 14, 2012 8:47 pm

Stagger wrote:
Dr Vyrus wrote:

Ok... Thanks waaa... Who were the others that came before Reggie? Is it albums or just singles?

If my memory serves me right, Reggie's first album (Makaa Maka) came out in 1996. He had previously released a single (Tsooboi) around 1994 in which he rhymed in Twi and English and called his music "hiplife" (http://m.museke.com/node/253).

Around the early to mid-90s, there were many other Ghanaian artists rapping in English, Twi, Pidgen and other languages but, as someone previously mentioned, Reggie was the first to use the term "hiplife." Some of these other artists and groups at the time were Talking Drums (Kweku-T & Abeeku), Native Funk Lords or NFL (including Eddie Blay), Cy Lover, Azigiza, Sass Squad, Akyeame and many others.
bottoss_watcher
JSS
JSS

Postby Dr Vyrus » Mon May 14, 2012 11:37 pm

bottoss_watcher wrote:
Stagger wrote:
Dr Vyrus wrote:

If my memory serves me right, Reggie's first album (Makaa Maka) came out in 1996. He had previously released a single (Tsooboi) around 1994 in which he rhymed in Twi and English and called his music "hiplife" (http://m.museke.com/node/253).

Around the early to mid-90s, there were many other Ghanaian artists rapping in English, Twi, Pidgen and other languages but, as someone previously mentioned, Reggie was the first to use the term "hiplife." Some of these other artists and groups at the time were Talking Drums (Kweku-T & Abeeku), Native Funk Lords or NFL (including Eddie Blay), Cy Lover, Azigiza, Sass Squad, Akyeame and many others.
rap albums were released by mohony pee , kk kabobo , azigiza jr and ambuley before Reggie
Dr Vyrus
MSc
MSc

Postby Jato Rasta » Tue May 15, 2012 3:12 pm

Dr Vyrus wrote:
bottoss_watcher wrote:
Stagger wrote:
Dr Vyrus wrote:

rap albums were released by mohony pee , kk kabobo , azigiza jr and ambuley before Reggie

SURE :!:
Jato Rasta
BSc
BSc

Postby bottoss_watcher » Tue May 15, 2012 3:51 pm

Dr Vyrus wrote:
bottoss_watcher wrote:
Stagger wrote:
Dr Vyrus wrote:

True... in fact, one could argue that Gyedu Blay-Amboley released the first GH rap album in the 70s. The question was who coined the term "hiplife" and which other artists/groups were around at the time releasing similar music.
bottoss_watcher
JSS
JSS

Postby wadada » Wed May 16, 2012 12:55 pm

B4 Reggie I think guys like "Dead body" and Nananom (including Barima Sidney, Omanhene pozo and Jyoti )were already doing the rap music!!! :wink: Remember their song "Wo Kyere Wo Ho" :wink:
wadada
BSc
BSc

Return to Social & Fun