Display optionsMobile website

Discussion Forums

WINDOWS 8 Developer's Preview

Computers, Internet, software, technology, etc

Moderators: deciiva, Q' lypse

WINDOWS 8 Developer's Preview

Postby el Padrino » Wed Sep 14, 2011 6:57 am

Is anyone running this yet. Its still pre beta software but i like what im seeing so far. Its a very much touch-centric OS but i have it running on a non touchscreen computer. IE 10 is great. I like the UI elements and how fast it is. I miss my IE accelerators though and i hope MS pushes an update to get that in ASAP.

You can try it by downloading it from MS's windows site. Its free and you don't need to activate it. But i must warn u, THIS IS PRE-BETA software.
However i installed it on top of my old instance of windows and it worked just fine and even kept all my settings and files. Nothing deleted.

Need to sleep now...hope one of u will chime in soon.

EZ
el Padrino
Phd
Phd

Postby thedonkarlos » Fri Sep 16, 2011 2:06 am

cool, i'll try it out on one of my virtual machines
thedonkarlos
SSS
SSS

Postby thedonkarlos » Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:10 pm

looking more like windows 7, with a layer on top and a ribbon on explorer. but has some cool new games though
thedonkarlos
SSS
SSS

Postby el Padrino » Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:45 pm

Its optimized for touch. It makes more sense on my Acer slate than it does on my laptop.

im addicted to treehouse stampede. Labrynth was cool but it only lasted 10 mins before I finished it
el Padrino
Phd
Phd

Postby Mantash » Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:24 pm

It is not very intuitive at all, BTW how do you uninstall and go back to Win7?
Mantash
BSc
BSc

Postby el Padrino » Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:33 pm

Install Windows 7 on top of it.
el Padrino
Phd
Phd

Postby Mantash » Sat Sep 24, 2011 12:01 am

el Padrino wrote:Install Windows 7 on top of it.

Ok, are u talking from experience here? will I lose all my settings etc
Mantash
BSc
BSc

Postby el Padrino » Sat Sep 24, 2011 12:08 am

Yes you will lose all your settings. Its not even Beta software so i dont think it was adviseable to install on your main system.

if you do not lose your settings, consider it a bonus.

Good luck..i hope your settings are kept. Windows 8 did such a great job keeping my settings, sometimes i forget that i have to reinstall certain programs.
el Padrino
Phd
Phd

Postby Mantash » Sat Sep 24, 2011 1:47 am

el Padrino wrote:Yes you will lose all your settings. Its not even Beta software so i dont think it was adviseable to install on your main system.

if you do not lose your settings, consider it a bonus.

Good luck..i hope your settings are kept. Windows 8 did such a great job keeping my settings, sometimes i forget that i have to reinstall certain programs.

Drat!!
Mantash
BSc
BSc

Postby thedonkarlos » Wed Sep 28, 2011 11:10 pm

Anyway, what happened to the start menu on the bottom left corner? it takes u back to the metro UI? Metro UI is cool for mobile devices but for desktops :roll:
And the swiping of so many apps to get to an app at the far end :roll:
Well, good they brought back the up arrow navigation that went missing after XP.
thedonkarlos
SSS
SSS

Postby el Padrino » Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:36 am

First of all. we cannot forget that this is simply a Developers preview. Its mostly so developers can develop and test apps.

The metro side imo is more optimized and suitable for touch. Its a joy to use on my w500 but kinda a pain to use on my laptop.

On the other hand, i've been using it as my main OS on my laptop and i've only had to reboot twice. I think im gonna wait till the beta before i pass judgement.

Microsoft is going to have to deliver though because they can cause a mass exodus to OSX if they F this up. In addition, they definitely do not want people comparing his to the ipad. Cos then they have a big battle on their hands.
el Padrino
Phd
Phd

Postby Pax Africana » Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:36 pm

Consumer Preview out now…

I don't understand how it's doing it - but even with all that bloatware my PC's running faster than under Win7 :?
Pax Africana
BSc
BSc

Postby el Padrino » Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:40 pm

I had issues getting wireless to work as I use a USB key but im good now. Been running for the last 3 days and no issues so far. Much better and more stable than the developer preview.

It feels just like an extension of my phone, which is a good thing from a usability standpoint but could be a bad thing for the privacy nuts. I have to lock my computer almost religiously now so my girl wont have access to my email and other messages.
el Padrino
Phd
Phd

Postby el Padrino » Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:42 pm

thedonkarlos wrote:Anyway, what happened to the start menu on the bottom left corner? it takes u back to the metro UI? Metro UI is cool for mobile devices but for desktops :roll:
And the swiping of so many apps to get to an app at the far end :roll:
Well, good they brought back the up arrow navigation that went missing after XP.
New and improved now...mouse over to the to the top right and drag down...all ur last used apps are there and u can select it just like in WP7. ALT-TAB works just fine too.
el Padrino
Phd
Phd

Postby Pax Africana » Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:39 pm

el Padrino wrote:I had issues getting wireless to work as I use a USB key but im good now. Been running for the last 3 days and no issues so far. Much better and more stable than the developer preview.

It feels just like an extension of my phone, which is a good thing from a usability standpoint but could be a bad thing for the privacy nuts. I have to lock my computer almost religiously now so my girl wont have access to my email and other messages.

:lol:

I got 99 problems...

Is this MS trying to teach the world how important the start button is, because I get the lesson already. Seriously, this software is stupidly annoying from a usability standpoint. Where are my program icons? That search thing doesn't bring up jack. I am having to look up .exe files in explorer to start my programs. If MS don't sort out this stupidity before general release the migration to Apple will be in the millions in the first few weeks alone. I'm going back to 7
Pax Africana
BSc
BSc

Postby el Padrino » Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:42 pm

Just hit the desktop app and ur back to 7. Or you can just pin your apps to start.

Some people have hackedthe start button into 8 tho if you are desperate for it.
el Padrino
Phd
Phd

Postby Pax Africana » Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:44 pm

el Padrino wrote:Just hit the desktop app and ur back to 7. Or you can just pin your apps to start.

Some people have hackedthe start button into 8 tho if you are desperate for it.

Not just the start button. Little annoyances like having to reach up to touch my monitor on my all-in-one desktop all the time in order to bring up that search apps feature. The mouse can't because I have a touchscreen. Then another 20 seconds searching to find the program you want isn't even there so having to search with Explorer.

Quite often too you try to start a program from the start page, the icon takes over your screen for like ten seconds, then you're returned to the start page. No message indicating why that happened i.e. the program crashed etc

For a desktop interface it isn't very practical. For business use, it'll be even more impractical.
Pax Africana
BSc
BSc

Postby el Padrino » Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:06 pm

You can't forget that it's a Beta. Consumer preview is just a fancy way for it. Im still running the developer preview on my tablet but I'll install the CP on it tonight and see what you're talking about. Honestly, besides the privacy issues, I haven't missed 7 that much because the desktop where i spend most of my time anyway, is just a click away.

I do share ur concern about MS needing to get this right tho. Mountain Lion is getting more and more like IOS and most people are already extremely familiar with IOS.
el Padrino
Phd
Phd

Re: WINDOWS 8 Developer's Preview

Postby remzay » Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:39 am

Bit late to reply this thread. I am quite interested in windows 8 some of the user were complaining about it UI and some other features but now I think will have to check it out all by myself.

Explore About Pivot Institute
Last edited by remzay on Sat Oct 12, 2013 4:27 am, edited 2 times in total.
remzay
Johnny Just Come
Johnny Just Come

Re: WINDOWS 8 Developer's Preview

Postby Africanpremier » Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:54 am

cool 8) :lol: :D

I just need it!

thank you very much!
Africanpremier
Johnny Just Come
Johnny Just Come

Return to Ghana Geeks