Display optionsMobile website

Discussion Forums

HELP USA FORUMERS

Discuss law cases/causes
FTC, SC

Moderators: deciiva, Q' lypse, Mido

HELP USA FORUMERS

Postby soccermania » Mon Jul 25, 2011 11:15 pm

A friend has been given citation for driving with only driver's permit in MD. While I am aware there is definitely a fine if found guilty, is there jail term? He is first offender. I have advised him to get a lawyer though
soccermania
SSS
SSS

Postby Don_Mayor » Mon Jul 25, 2011 11:19 pm

there shouldn't be any jail time, possibly a fine thats all. but advise him to try and get his license if possible before the court date, in his defense he can argue he was capable of driving and now has passed the test to prove that.
Last edited by Don_Mayor on Mon Jul 25, 2011 11:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Don_Mayor
MSc
MSc

Re: HELP USA FORUMERS

Postby Kofi Jolof » Mon Jul 25, 2011 11:19 pm

soccermania wrote:A friend has been given citation for driving with only driver's permit in MD. While I am aware there is definitely a fine if found guilty, is there jail term? He is first offender. I have advised him to get a lawyer though

There can't or shouldn't be a jail term for that if that is the only offense. A citation can just be a ticket. They should just pay it. Any idea of how much it is? (I'd reckon getting a lawyer would cost more).
Kofi Jolof
MSc
MSc

Postby dr.luv » Mon Jul 25, 2011 11:23 pm

No lawyer is needed. There might be a little twist to the case if he is not properly documented byt even that, it's not a big deal. He may pay a fine and be asked to get sr 22 if he didnt have insurance at the time of the citation.
dr.luv
BSc
BSc

Postby soccermania » Mon Jul 25, 2011 11:24 pm

Don_Mayor wrote:there shouldn't be any jail time, possibly a fine thats all. but advise him to try and get his license if possible before the court date, in his defense he can argue he was capable of driving and now has passed the test to prove that.

Thanks bro.
soccermania
SSS
SSS

Postby Minister of Finance » Mon Jul 25, 2011 11:25 pm

soccermania wrote:A friend has been given citation for driving with only driver's permit in MD. While I am aware there is definitely a fine if found guilty, is there jail term? He is first offender. I have advised him to get a lawyer though

What was the speed limit? How fast was he going?
Minister of Finance
BSc
BSc

Postby soccermania » Mon Jul 25, 2011 11:27 pm

Kofi Jolof wrote:

There can't or shouldn't be a jail term for that if that is the only offense. A citation can just be a ticket. They should just pay it. Any idea of how much it is? (I'd reckon getting a lawyer would cost more).

I understand they will send the letter for him to appear to court
soccermania
SSS
SSS

Postby soccermania » Mon Jul 25, 2011 11:28 pm

Minister of Finance wrote:

He was stopped for expired car registration. He was using somebody's car
soccermania
SSS
SSS

Postby keen observer » Mon Jul 25, 2011 11:29 pm

Tell him he is an idiot!! He is one reason insurance rates are high..However, he will be fined, he should just pay it.
keen observer
Professor
Professor

Postby soccermania » Mon Jul 25, 2011 11:29 pm

dr.luv wrote:No lawyer is needed. There might be a little twist to the case if he is not properly documented byt even that, it's not a big deal. He may pay a fine and be asked to get sr 22 if he didnt have insurance at the time of the citation.

He did have insurance
soccermania
SSS
SSS

Postby soccermania » Mon Jul 25, 2011 11:31 pm

keen observer wrote:

Tell him he is an idiot!! He is one reason insurance rates are high..However, he will be fined, he should just pay it.

Bra K.O no no. Is the idiot Nigerian accent or American accent :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
soccermania
SSS
SSS

Postby Minister of Finance » Mon Jul 25, 2011 11:38 pm

soccermania wrote:
Minister of Finance wrote:

He was stopped for expired car registration. He was using somebody's car

His friend need to get the registration taken care off, if he don't have a license... tell him to get one
Minister of Finance
BSc
BSc

Postby Ekelksupa™ » Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:01 am

keen observer wrote:

:lol: :lol:
Ekelksupa™
Otumfuo of the House
Otumfuo of the House

Postby Turbo Turbulance » Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:08 am

How old is your friend ?

Did he know what he was doing was "stupid" ?

Does he live in MD ? What county if he does.

I live in Montgomery county and they don't play, so warn your friend to act wisely or he'll find himself in some hot soup one day.

Wait 'til he gets caught by a state trooper one day

I hope that was not a stolen car. :roll:
Turbo Turbulance
Phd
Phd

Postby KAYSEBEE » Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:19 am

Turbo Turbulance wrote:

How old is your friend ?

Did he know what he was doing was "stupid" ?

Does he live in MD ? What county if he does.

I live in Montgomery county and they don't play, so warn your friend to act wisely or he'll find himself in some hot soup one day.

Wait 'til he gets caught by a state trooper one day

I hope that was not a stolen car. :roll:

:lol: :lol: :lol:
KAYSEBEE
Phd
Phd

Postby rastaman » Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:25 am

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
rastaman
MSc
MSc

Postby FIO » Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:27 am

keen observer wrote:

What an Idiot... This has nothing to do with insurance rates.... IT WAS NOT A MOVEMENT VIOLATION.... IT WAS FAILURE TO MAINTAIN FINANCIAL REPONSIBILITY... In most states the fines for the violations will be indicated on the back of the ticket... If he decides to pay the ticket before the court date, the case will be disposed of, and he may not have to show up for court... If he wants to fight this case and prove his inocense or plead guilty to request for a payment plan, he has to show up for court...
FIO
BSc
BSc

Postby keen observer » Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:29 am

FIO wrote:
What an Idiot... This has nothing to do with insurance rates....

U still don't get it, do you? Do you know the factors that determines insurance rates? What an idiot!!
keen observer
Professor
Professor

Postby KDA » Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:29 am

He should go to court and no lawyer needed. He should plead guilty with explanation (or probation before trial) and give a straight uncomplicated lie (his friend was down with a very severe cold and fever so he was going to the nearest CVS for some medication). He will surely come home without a fine ......... just a verbal warning. OR THE OFFICER MIGHT NOT BE IN COURT AT ALL (CASE DISMISSED).
KDA
BSc
BSc

Postby KAYSEBEE » Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:30 am

I hope he has 'nkrataa'--lol. Regardless, a citation is a paper that tells a defendant that he or she is being sued and asserts the power of the court to hear and determine the case. A form of legal process that commands the defendant to appear before the court on a specific day and to answer the complaint made by the plaintiff.

He has a few options

1. He can call the court to speak to the prosecutor to determine if he can just pay the fine. (Easier choice)

2. If he's scared, he can get a lawyer to aid him. It will be a waste of money to get a lawyer without exercising the first option.

3. If he doesn't have the 'nkrataa' diaaa, then he should definitely get a lawyer. Chances are that, he'll make him plead guilty and pay the fees/charges thereof.

Most importantly, he should grow up and stop taking such chances. Wish him all the best.
KAYSEBEE
Phd
Phd

Next

Return to Law