Display optionsMobile website

Discussion Forums

Data and Settings migration Issue

Computers, Internet, software, technology, etc

Moderators: deciiva, Q' lypse

Data and Settings migration Issue

Postby Mantash » Fri Aug 19, 2011 5:08 am

I had to reinstall my O/S (XP home 32) due to a driver issue with the Onboard graphics.

I need to migrate all my settings, internet favorites and programs from HDD1 to HDD2. Any recommendations on how to go about it, and freeware that would be useful?

I have Acronis Migrate Easy but its no good since it will erase HDD2 and I need to keep the newly installed O/S and drivers
Mantash
BSc
BSc

Postby el Padrino » Sun Aug 21, 2011 6:29 pm

i usually just make a folder and dump everything i need in there. You can either then burn that folder to a bluray disc or just move it to the new HDD. So u can just copy ur favorites folder and the installers of all the programs you want to move with u. I know its manual but at least its the safest method i know.

Actually just got another idea...When you try to install windows on top of an existing copy, you have the option of installing a completely new version and it puts ur old one in a folder called Windows.old and it has all ur settings and programs. You can then move this folder onto the other HDD or burn that to bluray and ur good to go. The folder remains accessible all times.
el Padrino
Phd
Phd

Postby santa » Tue Aug 23, 2011 12:54 am

Make an image of the first hard drive. You will achieve close perfection if you use a similar make of the Hard drive one.

Your acronis should do it right. If you live in Canada, I could assist you better,perhaps by phone contact.
santa
JSS
JSS

Postby Mantash » Tue Aug 23, 2011 6:05 pm

santa wrote:Make an image of the first hard drive. You will achieve close perfection if you use a similar make of the Hard drive one.

Your acronis should do it right. If you live in Canada, I could assist you better,perhaps by phone contact.

Boss thanks for feedback but I'm not trying to clone the drive, Acronis would have worked perfectly in that case, yes , but it also wipes the new hard drive and copies the old hard drive which has the faulty drivers

Let me try and explain my situation a lil bit better
I installed the the drivers for my machine but something went wrong

I was able to fix the issue so now I have 2 Os'es,
HDD1----- with faulty drivers for grafix and sound, but has all my settings programs and data
HDD2----- Fresh Install of OS and Working drivers for grafix & sound

I'm trying to move the settings and programs without too much hassle
I'm hoping I don't have to Go El Padrino's route
Mantash
BSc
BSc

Return to Ghana Geeks