Display optionsMobile website

Discussion Forums

Windows Phone 7 Discussion- GOOGLE Buys Motorola for $12.5bn

Computers, Internet, software, technology, etc

Moderators: deciiva, Q' lypse

Postby Ameys » Sun Nov 28, 2010 2:29 am

HTC HD2 The Leo is still my best of all the phones. I run Windows and Android on it alternatively whenever and however I want. You need to get yourself one.
Last edited by Ameys on Sun Nov 28, 2010 2:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ameys
BSc
BSc

Postby el Padrino » Sun Nov 28, 2010 2:30 am

Ameys wrote:HTC HD2 The Leo is still my best of all the phones. I ran Windows and Android on it alternatively whenever and however I want. You need to get yourself one.
I'll post a picture when i get home...already got one. :lol:

Honestly though..the only android phone i want to talk about is that Nexus S or the Mytouch 4G
el Padrino
Phd
Phd

Postby Imprivata » Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:17 am

i had the HTC HD7 for a week, i am returning it. Windows better step up their game
Imprivata
BSc
BSc

Postby el Padrino » Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:32 am

I've had the same phone since november. What dont u like about it?
el Padrino
Phd
Phd

Postby Imprivata » Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:50 am

the battery life is horrible, syncing with Zune instead of normal drivers to the memory, have to delete individual messages, no custom ringtones.

the no custom ringtone turned me off big time, the Cam is not that great. I am waiting for the Samsung Galaxy S II.

I am sure with time they will improve on for it but for now it's lacking compared to whats on the market.
Imprivata
BSc
BSc

Postby el Padrino » Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:55 am

battery life improves after a few days. Mine lasts a day and half now...used to last about 18 hours before.

Cant help you with Zune - I actually dont sync my phone much. I plug it in to charge in the bedroom and it automatically backsup to my laptop in my office....thats cool.

Custom ringtones...i can fix that for u if you want. Just pm or email me(i think u have my email no?)

Camera...i agree. Good but the Samsung Focus has the best camera.

You dont have to delete individual messages. In the email app, just hit the right side, the checkboxes will appear and u can check off as many emails u want and hit delete. In the SMS, just back out of the contacts messages and u can delete the whole convo.

What are u gonna return it for? The mytouch4g IMO is the only phone that compares to the HD7 on tmobile. I like it but i just cant put the HD7 down. The OS is so PURRTY! :lol: :lol:
el Padrino
Phd
Phd

Postby Imprivata » Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:50 am

el Padrino wrote:battery life improves after a few days. Mine lasts a day and half now...used to last about 18 hours before.

Cant help you with Zune - I actually dont sync my phone much. I plug it in to charge in the bedroom and it automatically backsup to my laptop in my office....thats cool.

Custom ringtones...i can fix that for u if you want. Just pm or email me(i think u have my email no?)

Camera...i agree. Good but the Samsung Focus has the best camera.

You dont have to delete individual messages. In the email app, just hit the right side, the checkboxes will appear and u can check off as many emails u want and hit delete. In the SMS, just back out of the contacts messages and u can delete the whole convo.

What are u gonna return it for? The mytouch4g IMO is the only phone that compares to the HD7 on tmobile. I like it but i just cant put the HD7 down. The OS is so PURRTY! :lol: :lol:

I already sent it back...the Samsung Galaxy s II is a hit in Europe, I am waiting for it to his the US markets
Imprivata
BSc
BSc

Postby k.sankofa » Thu Aug 04, 2011 3:36 am

el, what do u think about the photon?
k.sankofa
BSc
BSc

Postby el Padrino » Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:31 pm

It has beast specifications and supposedly can do no wrong. But its a big bulky phone tho. In these times, thin is in!

Anyways, its an android phone(top of the line at that too) that means it will be big, powerful, fast initially and slow down to a crawl as you use it.
I would usually also say the battery life is shitty but Motorola claims 10hours of talk time. If thts true, thats impressive.

Its supposedly also a world phone. Im not a big fan of sprints network but if the cooks at xda can figure out a way to let you pop a tmobile or at&t sim card in there, it should be worth it. I still think the Galaxy S II is the best android phone out there but Android imo still sucks. If you're on sprint and dont want to wait for a GS2, then this looks like the best phone for u. Try it first before u get it tho. Personally, i would have issues with its size.
el Padrino
Phd
Phd

Postby k.sankofa » Fri Aug 05, 2011 12:37 am

thanks much el, i knew you would come good!!!

yeah, the photon is a monster for size. my cheap a$$ can't get off sprint 'cus of my little discount. i think i'll wait for the gs2, if the rumours are to be believed, it comes out sometime this month. samsung within(the name floating for sprint's gs2) it is
k.sankofa
BSc
BSc

Postby el Padrino » Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:29 pm

k.sankofa wrote:thanks much el, i knew you would come good!!!

yeah, the photon is a monster for size. my cheap a$$ can't get off sprint 'cus of my little discount. i think i'll wait for the gs2, if the rumours are to be believed, it comes out sometime this month. samsung within(the name floating for sprint's gs2) it is
One of my girls got one yesterday. Its actually not a bad phone. I thought it was huge but its about the same size as the vibrant and the screen looks nice. I like how its kinda unique in its design a lil. It isnt thin tho and im used to thin phones but i wouldnt advice against it after using it for the whole day yesterday. The OS is still Android tho..and thats a turn off for me.

Btw, the GSII for Sprint will be called the "Within" :lol: look for it.
el Padrino
Phd
Phd

Postby el Padrino » Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:52 pm

So i woke up this morning, stumbled to the office, hit Alt + Home and my jaw dropped. Google just decided to buy Motorola for 12.5Bn. This is huge. Thats more than 30% of all the cash they have so you know its a big deal for them.

Its obvious why. Android is under attack from MS and Apple and the situation was starting to become very dire for Android. OEMs were paying money to Googles competitors in order to run Android and Apple + MS were outbidding Google for every patent portfolio that became available.

This though, is huge. Motorola Mobility has 17000 patents and apparently 7500 applications. Thats a whole lot of bullets. We'll see how the patent fight goes. The next couple of months will be interesting because Microsoft is already suing Motorola anyways so i wonder these patents may be useless to google against Motorola. Apple has also sued Motorola, Samsung and HTC and so far has actually stopped the importation of certain Samsung products in Europe and Australia. Thats the top 3 Android handset makers right there. If they felt they were OK enough to go after Motorola, then i wonder if they still feel like that changes whether google owns it or not?

Then there's also the possibility that with google having bought a competitor, how will HTC and Samsung feel knowing Motorola will be getting preferential treatment. Rumours are already going around that Samsung was already looking for a Nokia-type deal with MS last week.

Hope anyone also has a diff view on this.
el Padrino
Phd
Phd

Postby quaqu » Tue Aug 16, 2011 5:18 am

Hmmm interesting, just looking forward to how it works out
quaqu
BSc
BSc

Postby MindVirus » Fri Aug 19, 2011 12:37 am

Undoubtedly, the future is mobile and Google is in real trouble here by sacrificing innovation for theft. They wilfully infringed on the copyright of Sun now Oracle and they are going to pay heavily for that.

What is interesting here is that, Microsoft is currently suing Motorola for copyright and patent infringement. All indications are that it is going in Microsoft's favour. This is going to have a serious consequence on Android if an injunction is placed on Motorola, as the verdict could easily be applied to all Android device manufacturers. It is very likely that they are going to settle with Android manufacturers paying huge royalties to Microsoft in the likes of HTC.

I think Google has offered to buy Motorola out of fear, not necessarily for patents, as Apple and Microsoft are already suing them regardless, which presupposes that if these patents formed a bulwark against suits it would have deterred Microsoft and apple. But it didn't. Google may have bought a toothless patent portfolio as highlighted by El Padrino.

This move is going to drive other Android manufacturers to Microsoft. The licensing fee of android is going to cost way more than what Microsoft charges for Windows Phone 7 ($14 per handset or so).

A lot of peeps think Google is big and cannot fail but they are in real trouble here. Their search business model is currently not sustainable given the advent of the social graph. Facebook is killing them which is why they had to roll out Google+.

On the same search front they have Bing gradually gaining market share and eating into their lunch. The progress is slow but Microsoft has enough cash to sustain the loss of revenue until they start making money like they did with the xbox.

Google is currently also being probed by the ITC for their anti competitive behaviour. So a lot of stuff really going on here and this Motorola move is just a jig of the puzzle. A couple of years down the line we shall see how the landscape pans out.

Pardon the grammatical errors and mistakes as i could not go back to reread what i typed.

My two cents
MindVirus
JSS
JSS

Postby el Padrino » Fri Aug 19, 2011 12:45 am

Nice to read another opinion. I've been meaning to add to this. I'll do so when i get to a computer.

Id like to hear from anyone out there who thinks this is a good deal and why.
el Padrino
Phd
Phd

Postby k.sankofa » Sun Sep 04, 2011 5:57 pm

el Padrino wrote:
k.sankofa wrote:thanks much el, i knew you would come good!!!

One of my girls got one yesterday. Its actually not a bad phone. I thought it was huge but its about the same size as the vibrant and the screen looks nice. I like how its kinda unique in its design a lil. It isnt thin tho and im used to thin phones but i wouldnt advice against it after using it for the whole day yesterday. The OS is still Android tho..and thats a turn off for me.

Btw, the GSII for Sprint will be called the "Within" :lol: look for it.

comes out in less than 2wks(16th), ie, if apple doesn't block its release with a court injunction. apple seems to be aggressively going after samsung these days

and the name is epic touch 4g.

there seems to be so many phones coming out . . . i'm kinda confused, and i'm not even that crazy about phones
k.sankofa
BSc
BSc

Postby k.sankofa » Sun Sep 04, 2011 5:59 pm

k.sankofa
BSc
BSc

Postby el Padrino » Sun Sep 04, 2011 6:06 pm

Yeah. I don't know why they went with epic touch. But it looks like the best out of all the GS2 phones.

I've been meaning to write about the state of current patent wars going out between Apple vs HTC and Apple and that of Microsoft vs Motorola and Google.

Im not an apple fan. And I really thought they were being petty with their lawsuits. I have a Galaxy Tab at home and I don't see any resemblance towards the iPad. But I saw an ad yesterday for the GS2 white version and it is a blatant rip off of the iPhone 4. I was actually shocked when I saw it.

I doubt it will be an issue in the US though as they have modified the shapes enough to avoid confusion. The epic touch is a sweet looking phone tho
el Padrino
Phd
Phd

Postby k.sankofa » Sun Sep 04, 2011 6:58 pm

it's all about protecting its market share. the competition is heating up. the gs2 for instance is said to have been very well received.

apple recently won a preliminary injunction against the gs2 in the netherlands so i'm assuming it will try to block the release of variants of the gs2 on the u.s. market.

i don't believe the scope of the injunction is that broad though and seem to cover something the samsung can easily change in future phones should a permanent injunction be granted.
k.sankofa
BSc
BSc

Postby el Padrino » Sun Sep 04, 2011 7:03 pm

Well the injunction is based on trade dress. Which means that Samsung copies the look and presentation of the iPhone and iPad. In the US, the GS2 is sufficiently different and Samsung will be incredibly dumb of they put them in iPhone like packages like they did in Europe.
el Padrino
Phd
Phd

Next

Return to Ghana Geeks