Display optionsMobile website

Discussion Forums

COST OF LIVING IN GHANA

Discuss investment opportunies in Ghana and other financial issues

Moderators: deciiva, Q' lypse

COST OF LIVING IN GHANA

Postby Just-Us » Sun Jan 12, 2003 8:11 pm

What is the estimated [usa dollar] cost of living per year in Ghana ?What is a Ghanaian average income per week ? Im told the average Ghanaian earns about $80-100 per month , is that true ? How much would a Macdonalds quarter pounder [or the like] that costs $2 in the usa cost in Ghana.

The average year cost of living and income in the usa is appox. $25-30,000 [about even] and if one budget one can afford a decent, apt. decent clothing , small car, a few toys like a tv, computer, music system and be able at times to go out to movies , dinner etc.

Bottom line Could a person live decent off $8,000 a year in Ghana

Thanks PEACE
Just-Us
Johnny Just Come
Johnny Just Come

Postby Guest » Thu Jan 16, 2003 10:50 am

$8,000 a year in Ghana ?

you'll live like a King

Postby Guest » Sun Jan 19, 2003 4:08 pm

If you just want to live in Ghana and you don't get suckered into any business traps or tourist traps $8000 a year is OK. But you still have to watch it. If you are not Ghanaian you can get extorted for all sorts of things from "official" to personal. Also if you want to live the luxury life-styles of the Ghanaian elite and the expatriate diplomatic community your $8000 a year will not go far. The best thing to do is to take an exploratory 30-day trip and see for yourself rather than rely on loose comments.

lving wage in ghana

Postby stephen riis hayibor » Tue Mar 25, 2003 6:55 pm

IN GHANA PEOPLE WHO FALL IN $8000 A YEAR GROUP ARE PEOPLE WHO CAN AFFORD GOOD THINGS IN LIFE. CONSIDERING THE MINIMUM WAGE AVERAGE GHANAIAN EARNS BETWEEN $1500.00 TO$5000.00 A MONTH.
stephen riis hayibor

Postby Atiga » Tue Mar 25, 2003 8:22 pm

Just-us wrote:

The average year cost of living and income in the usa is appox. $25-30,000 [about even] and if one budget one can afford a decent, apt. decent clothing , small car, a few toys like a tv, computer, music system and be able at times to go out to movies , dinner etc.

Please, in the USA that's slave labor! Where do you work with such an income? Are you a janitor or what?

regards,
Atiga
Atiga

Cost of living in Ghana

Postby Kbro » Wed May 07, 2003 11:20 pm

All the comments above are welcome. $8000 a year will be fine to live in Ghana. But did you ask the guy who asked this question if he is a Ghanaian who left Ghana only nine months ago or somebody who left Ghana some years back and therfore has developed other tastes. Or a foreigner who is going to Ghana for the first time. That means he has to discard of all his usual habits and start eating yokogari - not to talk about how much rent he is going to pay. Man as somebody soggested above, take a two-month tight budget trip to Ghana and open your eyes and ears whilst there. Good luck
Kbro

Postby superman » Wed Oct 29, 2003 10:45 pm

yeah 8k is cool,u can live inTamale with that.But in accra,get real!
You must either work in the factory, be a bus boy, or a janitor.Heard of the lottery?You may want to play it some time.Also,heard of welfare?You may want to get on it.
Anyway,please quit wasting public and private resources with ridiculous postings.If you want to know,do your homework!
superman

Postby Guest » Mon Jan 26, 2004 12:30 pm

In Accra if you are a foreigner coming alone : well you are
going to be a 'milking cow' = ' foreign currency account'.
Expect to spend much more than in any western capital.
And to be honest you are better off travelling to South Africa :
you will have first class treatment for your money whereas
in Ghana you will be reaped off by the country of salespeople.

If you go and leave with a family, then things are different :
you won't need much. People go to the forest to get the bananas,...
So you can jon in as well.

So if you do not know anybody, go to South Afrca.
If you are going to live with a family = OK.

please

Postby Umass Boy » Fri Mar 26, 2004 7:24 am

Please, in the USA that's slave labor! Where do you work with such an income? Are you a janitor or what?

I'm a university student in US and please, i dont kno where u get ur Statistics from but most ghanaians in US wit no college degree has to work double jobs in order to get that money. Who is gonna hire u for a job and pay u more $15.oo an hour wit no education. , wit the exception for those who went to school to be come accountants,law firm agent,s nurses and so on but for ur average joe ghanaian living in the US< i sure damn u that they make that amount of money. I did bout 50 ghanaian income tax this yr and none of them went over 35,000. Mainly they working 2 full tyme jobs.I think that is an insult to every hard working single parent that is tryna feed their children. I kno is not enough money but there re a lot of ppl that make lesser than that.
Umass Boy

Postby .MISUROMPO NAMIKEKAYOO » Thu Jul 01, 2004 5:51 pm

8000 DOLLERS WILL NOT TAKE YOU EVEN 6 MONTH IN gHANA ITS ONLY 90 MILLION CEDICE IF OLY YOU ARE JUST SPENDING IT WITHOUT INVESTING IT IF I WERE YOU I WILL BUT BILLS TO ROLL FOR THREE MONTH THEN I COULD SURVIVE THE FULL YEAR OR ELS ,SORRY YOU WILL REMAIN IN GHANA.
MISUROMPO NAMIKEKAYOO.
.MISUROMPO NAMIKEKAYOO

Postby Guardian » Tue Oct 12, 2004 12:39 am

Go to south africa and see if you will return with your life or your money - their crime rate is so high its better to be in Ghana. 8000 a year should be fine AFTER you've dealt with all those things like deposits for you car, apartment etc.
Guardian

Postby Guest » Wed Dec 01, 2004 8:01 pm

My family will be moving to Ghana to do missionary work some time next year. While we're there we are planning to have some of my good friends over for a couple of months. He'll be living with us for a little while, but for a little over a month he'll be living as a "tourist". Mainly, the only thing he's going to be paying for is a month in a hotel. What should I tell him to expect the cost of that to be?

Retiring to Ghana from US

Postby Guest » Sun Dec 12, 2004 9:41 pm

In response to Patrice

Your plan is good and doable, but 15 years is a long time to forecast costs and also political stability situations on the ground. But revisit the plan when the time gets nearer. As things are now, renting a home would be a better option than buying and buying would be better than building. Buying a car in Ghana would also be a better option than bringing one over. Appliances and furniture are also readily available in Ghana. Costs will be no problem on the income you indicated (or less) as long as you plan your purchases and expenses and don't overpay. The thing to consider well is health care or more precisely health maintenance since the health care could kill ya. And that wouldn't be good.

Postby Zeno » Wed Dec 22, 2004 7:59 pm

Ghana is a good place to retire. As mentioned, it is politically stable and has good friendly people who are welcoming of foreigners. As most places, you just have to be careful of gimmicks. I believe one should be able to live a comfortable life with $8,000 per year considering you have your own house and a car. Without these two things, life in Ghana with $8,000 will be tough. I recently inquire about renting a 2 bedroom house in Ghana and I was told the rental price is $850 per month. Now your $8,000 per year only translates into about $670 per month. As you can see this amount will not cover the cost of rent much more all the added necessities. Granted, you might be able to find a decent apartment or a house for about $400 per month but living on a little above $200 per month will be difficult.

Being able to live the western life in Ghana will not be an issue at all. You will be surprised at all the western products and services available in Ghana. I was surprised to find that a Golf Course community is being built in Ghana. Believe me, looking at the model of the proposed community, I did a double take. I checked to make sure that it is this is actually Ghana and not another western country. I was extremely surprised and proud.

The bottom line is, you can live a decent life with $8,000 per year (considering you have no rental or car bills) but if you want to live a luxury life, then $8,000 is more like a few months living and not a year. And like most people mentioned, return to Ghana for a month and try living on $670 for the entire time. If you are able to live comfortable on it, then you know you can survive on $8,000 a year. Good Luck in finding a retirement location.
Zeno

Postby miky » Wed Jan 12, 2005 9:31 pm

Guardian wrote:Go to south africa and see if you will return with your life or your money - their crime rate is so high its better to be in Ghana. 8000 a year should be fine AFTER you've dealt with all those things like deposits for you car, apartment etc.

so thats what i hate about ignoramus not to take offence but have you been to sa before thats like the only place that match nigeria or beat it.maybe its controlled by the whites i have been there and not every where has crime only in the ghetto
miky
Taking A-level
Taking A-level

Cost of living -- where do you get your info?

Postby Obruni » Thu Jun 08, 2006 9:30 pm

Don't listen to these morons who tell you $8G can't get you over in Accra -- they know nothing. I lived in Osu (diplomatic/nightlife area of Accra) on $350/month + rent. I went out nearly every night and didn't skimp much at all: took taxis when I wanted, travelled, ate western food (not every day though!) I really don't know what a "western lifestyle" equates too -- driving a range rover and watching satellite TV in your East Legon mansion? Why not just stay in the west if that's your objective? One point I do agree on is if you show up brand new you stand a greater chance of getting ripped off, but trust me, you can find a perfectly nice, spacious apt (with 3 or 4 bedrooms!) for $3-400. You just have to know what you're doing and what you want, and the best way to do that is go there first, meet some locals who can give you advice, and realize that some "friends" might just see you as a walking ATM...hey it's a poor country, you can't blame them for trying. You're in Africa, akwaaba and enjoy all that Ghana has to offer. I love it!
Obruni

Postby Kauffmann » Fri Jan 25, 2008 5:10 pm

I have not been living in Ghana but visiting.
Was living in Kenya and Uganda for 12 years, and went to Ghana some times for holidays, thats all.

Comming from a very violent part of Africa (Nairobi called in local; Nairobbery), I really like to spend holidays in Ghana.

I don't belive that a western can make it for 8 thousand USD a year, that is not much, taken in to consideration, that you are used to an other way of life. Of couese if you live like an Ghanian with a resonable income then you can do it. But for a western I don't believe it.

The remarks of others about beeing am ATM I do agree, most africans take newcommers for that. You know, they can almost smell that you are new! Even I can feel when a person is new in Africa, so take care!!!

One advice in your new life, learn to bargain hard, if you don't you pay prices that are extreme. Learn it, learn what the local people pay for food on the market. Always ask for more when you make a deal, if the vendor says no, then leave, they will call you back to negotiate.

This goes for all aspects of life for a white in Africa.

But also try to find a few on the market that you deal with when it comes to dayly shopping, it will help you.

Soon I will go on retirement, and I can tell you it will not be in the violent east africa, I also plan to settle in Ghana with my pension. Mine is after tax in Denmark (there is no doubble taxation agreement between Ghana and Denmark) little over 2000 USD months, in my oppinion that wil juat make it for a nice life.

Also don't forget medical insurance and please don't try to save money on this. It can ruin you.
Kauffmann
Johnny Just Come
Johnny Just Come

Postby RedFoxxy17 » Wed Jan 30, 2008 12:54 am

---
RedFoxxy17
Johnny Just Come
Johnny Just Come

Re: COST OF LIVING IN GHANA

Postby janeman » Sun Jul 28, 2013 6:15 am

Hi, I am so thinking of taking up a job near Accra. I wanted to know will USD 600 per month be sufficient for buying food, groceries and a little sight seeing. Other things like home, car, petrol, electricity, servant, etc is being provided by the company.
janeman
Johnny Just Come
Johnny Just Come

Return to Susu