Display optionsMobile website

Discussion Forums

3d programs,

Computers, Internet, software, technology, etc

Moderators: deciiva, Q' lypse

3d programs,

Postby Kamui R. » Thu Sep 28, 2006 3:24 am

Does anyone use a 3d program ?, I use Lightwave 3d, since the days of the Amiga computer (anyone remember that ?). I currently use versions 5.6 and 7.5.

I would like to communicate with others and share resources and finished work.

If possible I would also like to collaborate on a small project.

thanx,

K. R.
Kamui R.
Johnny Just Come
Johnny Just Come

Postby Ghana » Thu Sep 28, 2006 3:27 pm

i dont know much about 3d animation

but i am interested in your project...what is it about?
Ghana
SSS
SSS

Postby Anonymous Coward » Thu Sep 28, 2006 10:52 pm

another excellent program for this kinda task is blender (www.blender.org) best of all, it's free.
Anonymous Coward
JSS
JSS

Postby Kamui R. » Fri Sep 29, 2006 4:21 am

Hi,

I tried Blender but the interface drove me crazy. What I wanted to do was to convert my Lightwave library for use in Blender so I could integrate them with the logic bricks, but even that was an unholy pain.
After all these years I have many hundreds ( if not thousands) of objects
and the prospect of doing them over again was/is not appealing.

How far have you gone in using Blender ?
Kamui R.
Johnny Just Come
Johnny Just Come

Postby Kofikoduah » Fri Sep 29, 2006 1:26 pm

You should try Maya or 3ds Max they are the industry standards. Lightwave is cool i've tried modelling a soccer ball with it before. it was ok i guess, but so far i think 3ds max and Maya get my vote... PM me so we can chat
Kofikoduah
SSS
SSS

Postby Tit 4 Tat » Fri Sep 29, 2006 6:36 pm

google have acquired a program called sketchup.
Tit 4 Tat
BSc
BSc

Re: 3d programs,

Postby Kofikoduah » Fri Sep 29, 2006 8:08 pm

Kamui R. wrote:Does anyone use a 3d program ?, I use Lightwave 3d, since the days of the Amiga computer (anyone remember that ?). I currently use versions 5.6 and 7.5.

I would like to communicate with others and share resources and finished work.

If possible I would also like to collaborate on a small project.

thanx,

K. R.

Kamui R., could you give some more info about your project so i can see how i can help
Kofikoduah
SSS
SSS

Postby Kamui R. » Sat Sep 30, 2006 4:09 am

I don't have a project that I am currently working on that lends itelf to

collaboration, however, I've always wanted to put together a large 3d island with

towns, a city, landscape and everything.

Have you seen the video game Grand Theft Auto? the 3d environment there is very

much what I would like to recreate. I can't play video games worth a damn, cheat

codes allowed me to get to the locked areas and I learned a few 3d tricks.

I was reminded of 2 websites I had put up a while ago, the pictures of the 3d

site were not anti-aliased and the whole site was a notional idea, the other site

is some artwork.

http://www.jeffs-icons.net/3dP/index.html

http://www.jeffs-icons.net/art/index.html

my email is mallecort@hotmail.com
Kamui R.
Johnny Just Come
Johnny Just Come

Postby Kofikoduah » Sat Sep 30, 2006 8:34 am

these are the places to go if you're serious about 3d modelling.
http://www.3dkingdom.org
http://www.cgsociety.org/
http://www.3dm3.com/
http://www.max-realms.com/
http://www.evermotion.org/

Plus if you get 3ds max 6,7 or 8 there's a plugin called dreamscape which can really help in creating 3d landscapes and terrain... also maxwell render (for maya, 3ds max, cinema 4d and lightwave), the brazil render system and vray renderer will make those landscapes look very realistic. maxwell is really good with lighting.

my email is Kofikoduah@hotmail.com, very nice to meet you, email me anytime or join me on msn.
Kofikoduah
SSS
SSS

Postby zickler » Sat Oct 07, 2006 2:40 pm

Have you seen the video game Grand Theft Auto? the 3d environment there is very

much what I would like to recreate. I can't play video games worth a damn, cheat

To write something like Grand Auto Theft you must learn DirectX or OpenGL. Grand Auto Theft was developed usind directX.
zickler
SSS
SSS

Postby Anonymous Coward » Sat Oct 07, 2006 2:56 pm

grand theft auto wasn't done entirely in directx or opengl. the graphics are first generated using some 3d program like blender. opengl and directx are then use to render those graphics and make them move. try to generate some semi-complex object in opengl and you'll understand why it's not feasible.
Anonymous Coward
JSS
JSS

Game/sim programming

Postby Kamui R. » Mon Oct 09, 2006 3:46 am

The part of the game/simulation that seems to be the hardest and gets the least notice is the programming which is what makes Blender so attractive as it has an game engine built-in.

I had a problem importing my LW models and getting the proper scaling orientation. Blender also makes your efforts somewhat platform agnostic which is also very attractive. I'd rather not get locked into one vendors upgrade path and be at the mercy of their marketing dept.

Any amateur programmers out there ?
Kamui R.
Johnny Just Come
Johnny Just Come

Re: Game/sim programming

Postby Anonymous Coward » Mon Oct 09, 2006 2:54 pm

Kamui R. wrote: Any amateur programmers out there ?

somewhat. though i haven't touched opengl for like 3yrs. too many things, very little time. all this talk about graphics is making my mouth water. i think it's time somebody invent that 48hr day.
Anonymous Coward
JSS
JSS

Re: Game/sim programming

Postby bozanga_volvo » Tue Oct 10, 2006 3:59 pm

Anonymous Coward wrote:
Kamui R. wrote: Any amateur programmers out there ?

somewhat. though i haven't touched opengl for like 3yrs. too many things, very little time. all this talk about graphics is making my mouth water. i think it's time somebody invent that 48hr day.

I have been working on and off on a ray tracer. If anyone is interesting in seeing it/ helping out send me a P.M. Runs on linux and windows (if u have cygwin and some other libraries).
bozanga_volvo
BSc
BSc

Postby Kamui R. » Fri Oct 13, 2006 5:25 am

To any programmers or anyone who knows,

How difficult or easy would it be to create a walk thru. Like an architectural demonstrator. It wouldn't be a game since there wouldn't be a goal or anything challenging for the user, just a eye level camera going through an environment, and maybe opening a door as the camera approaches.

Could it done with some freeware, really simple freeware ? I've seen some VRML and they all looked cheezy, or did I just see bad examples?

thanx.
Kamui R.
Johnny Just Come
Johnny Just Come

Postby bozanga_volvo » Tue Oct 17, 2006 7:35 pm

Kamui R. wrote:To any programmers or anyone who knows,

How difficult or easy would it be to create a walk thru. Like an architectural demonstrator. It wouldn't be a game since there wouldn't be a goal or anything challenging for the user, just a eye level camera going through an environment, and maybe opening a door as the camera approaches.

Could it done with some freeware, really simple freeware ? I've seen some VRML and they all looked cheezy, or did I just see bad examples?

thanx.

I guess you can do something like this with blender ( http://www.blender.org ), no programming involved. I don't think it is easy cos "drawing" the models is not exactly easy.
bozanga_volvo
BSc
BSc

Postby Kamui R. » Mon Oct 30, 2006 5:18 am

Making the 3d objects is not the problem i have several thousand on my harddrive that I have made over the years.

Getting them into Blender or something like it means getting the scaling, orientation, pivot points, and associated image files straight. That's just getting them into Blender, not making the interactive working program.

What is needed are people who have spent the time to learn the other necessary parts, like the game/sim engine of Blender. These are specialities that take a particular mindset and talent. They also mean that somebody has spent the enormous amount of time to learn how to do it.
This is the less flashy almost invisible part of the whole enterprise. People like me who do the 3d stuff are far more common. :!:

Anybody have any 3d images that they've made that they'd like to show ?

Leave a link, I'd like to see them.

K.
Kamui R.
Johnny Just Come
Johnny Just Come

Postby Moi » Thu Nov 02, 2006 11:39 am

I use Artlantis with ArchiCAD
Moi
BSc
BSc

Postby Kamui R. » Sun Nov 12, 2006 4:54 am

Has anybody done any 3d that ran on a playstation (1 or 2) ? How much did the dev kit cost and what was your project ?

Is there any open source kits available for the playstation or xbox ?
I doubt it considering how Sony & microsoft are fanatical in protecting access to their boxes.

I heard of a Linux program (a long time ago) that allowed a small sized app to run on the ps1, was this true ?

K.
Kamui R.
Johnny Just Come
Johnny Just Come

Postby Kofikoduah » Sun Nov 12, 2006 8:41 am

Kamui R. wrote:Has anybody done any 3d that ran on a playstation (1 or 2) ? How much did the dev kit cost and what was your project ?

Is there any open source kits available for the playstation or xbox ?
I doubt it considering how Sony & microsoft are fanatical in protecting access to their boxes.

I heard of a Linux program (a long time ago) that allowed a small sized app to run on the ps1, was this true ?

K.

Yeah the open source dev kit is linux based and can only run on the ps2. You will need a hard drive for the ps2 to use the kit. More info can be found at http://playstation2-linux.com/. Surprisingly it is supported by sony computers.

Also, the ps3 is to ship with Linux pre-installed on the harddisk. Plus it is possible to run multiple oses on the ps3 due to its use of the cell.

S development Kit is also available for the XBOX, you can download it from the microsoft site, if you look hard enough.
Kofikoduah
SSS
SSS

Next

Return to Ghana Geeks