Display optionsMobile website

Discussion Forums

Help with Student Visa

Discuss Immigration issues

Moderators: deciiva, kebashorificatious, Q' lypse

Help with Student Visa

Postby Student 1 » Sun Jun 24, 2012 5:46 pm

My issue is I got denied a tourist visa about 6 months ago. I was already in the process of applying to study for my masters in the USA. I have my i20 now and proof that I will pay my fees( my sister is footing the bill) will my student visa be turned down because of my previous refusal or each application will be seen on it's merits. I wanted to visit my sister last Christmas but was denied.
Student 1

Postby Dr Vyrus » Sun Jun 24, 2012 7:44 pm

questions you should be prepared to answer.

1. has your circumstances changed between the denial and now?
2. why will your sister pay for your masters program
3. why will you not use the money to pursue your degree in Ghana since it will be 10% of the cost
4. what unbreakable ties do you have with Ghana that will make you want to go back
5. you pursuing a master degree means you probably have your first degree. what have you done with your life since
Dr Vyrus
MSc
MSc

Re: Help with Student Visa

Postby dr.luv » Mon Jun 25, 2012 2:59 am

Student 1 wrote:My issue is I got denied a tourist visa about 6 months ago. I was already in the process of applying to study for my masters in the USA. I have my i20 now and proof that I will pay my fees( my sister is footing the bill) will my student visa be turned down because of my previous refusal or each application will be seen on it's merits. I wanted to visit my sister last Christmas but was denied.

Find out if the school that issued you the 1-20 is accredited.

http://www.ope.ed.gov/accreditation/Get ... dFile.aspx
dr.luv
BSc
BSc

Postby Student1 » Mon Jun 25, 2012 4:01 am

Dr Vyrus wrote:questions you should be prepared to answer.

3. why will you not use the money to pursue your degree in Ghana since it will be 10% of the cost
4. what unbreakable ties do you have with Ghana that will make you want to go back
5. you pursuing a master degree means you probably have your first degree. what have you done with your life since

Yes I have a job now
Because she can afford it
I want to get USA study experience
I have a plot of land
I just started a new job
Student1

Re: Help with Student Visa

Postby Student1 » Mon Jun 25, 2012 4:02 am

dr.luv wrote:
Student 1 wrote:My issue is I got denied a tourist visa about 6 months ago. I was already in the process of applying to study for my masters in the USA. I have my i20 now and proof that I will pay my fees( my sister is footing the bill) will my student visa be turned down because of my previous refusal or each application will be seen on it's merits. I wanted to visit my sister last Christmas but was denied.

Find out if the school that issued you the 1-20 is accredited.

http://www.ope.ed.gov/accreditation/Get ... dFile.aspx

Thank you
Student1

Postby Dr Vyrus » Mon Jun 25, 2012 4:17 am

Student1 wrote:

Yes I have a job now
I have a plot of land
I just started a new job

It is very important you do not show an intent to immigrate . So if you want to still go ahead and apply avoid things that might hurt your chances. Having a plot of land contrary to popular belief actually hurts you as the co will assume you would like to develop it in future raising the red flag of you working in the USA to do that. You having a close relative in the USA can also be a negative especially is she is paying for your keep. You need to show ties in Ghana not in the USA . You just started a new job is irrelevant as you will quit the job to study as it is unlikely they will grant you study leave after only working with them for a few months. Put yourself in the co's shoes and you will be ok
Dr Vyrus
MSc
MSc

Postby dr.luv » Mon Jun 25, 2012 3:30 pm

Student1 wrote:

Yes I have a job now
I have a plot of land
I just started a new job

All of the above might not be enough to get you a study visa. Are you married or engaged or do you have children? That could be one way to show tie to Ghana.
dr.luv
BSc
BSc

Postby Dr Vyrus » Mon Jun 25, 2012 4:48 pm

dr.luv wrote:
Student1 wrote:

Yes I have a job now
I have a plot of land
I just started a new job

All of the above might not be enough to get you a study visa. Are you married or engaged or do you have children? That could be one way to show tie to Ghana.
Right on point. The key is unbreakable or difficult to break ties.
Dr Vyrus
MSc
MSc

Return to Immigration