Discussion Forums

Poverty No Good oooooo

Talk about the latest matches, your club, etc

Moderators: deciiva, kebashorificatious

Re: Poverty No Good oooooo

Postby Obielord » Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:38 pm

keen observer wrote:
Obielord wrote:

But it all comes together as one tho. (not disputing the issue is more complex than anybody here is making it).

If you have every little, you always go for more bang for your buck. If you have enough, you can waste it on both European and African games.

Going to the stadium is cultural, just like supporting a team or like religion.

It has very little to do with poverty. There are enough Ghanaians with enough money to fill a stadium every day of the week. It is the cultural aspect that has been lost. People are more used to watching TV than going to the stadium. And that is the biggest issue all across Africa and majority of the third world.

There is book "Soccernomics", go get a copy. Very interesting book, written with facts.

So we both agree organization has little to do with it as Soccerman and Dr. luv are making it seems.
I don't know what went on in the 70s but I can bet my last dollar that organization today is better than that of the 70s.
Obielord
Phd
Phd

Postby keen observer » Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:47 pm

Obielord wrote:
So we both agree organization has little to do with it as Soccerman and Dr. luv are making it seems.

No, I agree with them partially. In todays world the FA is competing with other things (as you rightfully mentioned). They therefore have to go out of their way to entice people to come to the stadium. They have failed woefully in marketing. In marketing you lie, you hype it up, you profile players and turn them into gods. It is what you do to get people to the stadiums. So i think they have a point.

Obielord wrote:I don't know what went on in the 70s but I can bet my last dollar that organization today is better than that of the 70s.

The FA's in the 70's make the current FA look like a fortune 5 company.
But there weren't many competing things in the FA. TV was scare back then, many people could not read. There was only 1 TV station and I radio station (well if you want to count GBC1 then there were 2). People did not have many options back then, so for a lot of people following soccer was the default.
keen observer
Professor
Professor

Postby CMSgt. » Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:30 pm

Mido wrote:
keen observer wrote:
Mido wrote:
keen observer wrote:
Mido wrote:
NaMrecco$ wrote: stadium. u dey mind these people and their excuses... copa america stadiums are always full... south america is poor like africa ..no?

WRONG!!!!!!!!
You guys don't seem to comprehend how poor we are
we are the Poorest of the poor ... Our poverty is unique ;-)

E.g. Ghana is poorer than any Latin America country (NB: Haiti, the only country we beat in that part of the world is not in Latin America)
Most South American countries (Brazil, Argentina, Chile, Peru, etc) have a sizeable middle class
Brazilians & Argies can afford to travel to world cups all over the world. Most of the Africans u see at world cups, live in the host country

Are you going to answer my humble questions?

Nonsense. The reason people do not go to the stadium has very little to do with poverty. People patronized the stadiums in the late 70's and 80's when our economy was at an all time low. So stop it already. Our population has doubled since the 70's and more people can afford tickets to watch soccer if they want to.

The discussion is about African Cup of nations/European Championship not our local leagues
African Cup of nations has always had empty stadiums

When did you start watching African cup of nations? Please state the first time you watched one. Thanks.

I even remember how Opoku-Afriyie scored his 2 goals against Uganda in the finals
The stadiums were empty except when Ghana or Nigeria was playing
CMSgt.
SSS
SSS

Postby CMSgt. » Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:36 pm

keen observer wrote:
Obielord wrote:

No, I agree with them partially. In todays world the FA is competing with other things (as you rightfully mentioned). They therefore have to go out of their way to entice people to come to the stadium. They have failed woefully in marketing. In marketing you lie, you hype it up, you profile players and turn them into gods. It is what you do to get people to the stadiums. So i think they have a point.

Obielord wrote:I don't know what went on in the 70s but I can bet my last dollar that organization today is better than that of the 70s.

The FA's in the 70's make the current FA look like a fortune 5 company.
But there weren't many competing things in the FA. TV was scare back then, many people could not read. There was only 1 TV station and I radio station (well if you want to count GBC1 then there were 2). People did not have many options back then, so for a lot of people following soccer was the default.

Thank you!
CMSgt.
SSS
SSS

Previous

Return to Football