Display optionsMobile website

Discussion Forums

We should stop calling them akata

Discuss Immigration issues

Moderators: deciiva, kebashorificatious, Q' lypse

We should stop calling them akata

Postby dr.luv » Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:17 pm

As African immigrants, we need to forge partnership with African-Americans in many areas in order to climb the socioeconomic ladder. Rather, we are busy giving and calling them names. I am told the name akata originates from nigeria- meaning some kind of animal. I am yet to verify that but regardless, I think it is wrong to call them akata. what do you guys think?
dr.luv
BSc
BSc

Postby truemamamia » Tue Jun 05, 2012 1:20 am

Wll if u havent verified it...and u dont know for sure if it has a bad connotation...how do u advocate against it?
truemamamia
Phd
Phd

Postby dr.luv » Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:02 am

truemamamia wrote:Wll if u havent verified it...and u dont know for sure if it has a bad connotation...how do u advocate against it?

I have been told by different nigerians that akata means an animal. I just don't know what animal they are referring to.
dr.luv
BSc
BSc

Postby coca-colonisation » Sat Jun 09, 2012 1:23 am

dr.luv wrote:
truemamamia wrote:Wll if u havent verified it...and u dont know for sure if it has a bad connotation...how do u advocate against it?

I have been told by different nigerians that akata means an animal. I just don't know what animal they are referring to.

then find the animal and come back lets talk :lol:
coca-colonisation
BSc
BSc

Re: We should stop calling them akata

Postby footballmaame » Tue Jun 19, 2012 5:54 pm

dr.luv wrote:As African immigrants, we need to forge partnership with African-Americans in many areas in order to climb the socioeconomic ladder. Rather, we are busy giving and calling them names. I am told the name akata originates from nigeria- meaning some kind of animal. I am yet to verify that but regardless, I think it is wrong to call them akata. what do you guys think?

Why? Akata means cat.... at least by my sources.
footballmaame
SSS
SSS

Postby dr.luv » Tue Jun 19, 2012 6:30 pm

footballmaame wrote:
dr.luv wrote:As African immigrants, we need to forge partnership with African-Americans in many areas in order to climb the socioeconomic ladder. Rather, we are busy giving and calling them names. I am told the name akata originates from nigeria- meaning some kind of animal. I am yet to verify that but regardless, I think it is wrong to call them akata. what do you guys think?

We shouldn't complain when Africans are called monkey
dr.luv
BSc
BSc

Postby Q' lypse » Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:42 am

dr.luv wrote:
footballmaame wrote:

We shouldn't complain when Africans are called monkey

No, we shouldn't.
Last edited by Q' lypse on Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Q' lypse
Phd
Phd

Postby Q' lypse » Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:06 am

ive been saying this on these forums for years. Its disgusting!! I always thought it had slave connotations. Black people we are our own worse enemies!

In England, we Ghanaians call our Jamaican, Caribbean brothers and sisters, 'ahyedie3m nii'. Literally meaning, sugarcane people. This is from the slavery days since the British took the slaves to these islands to work on the sugarcane farms. I shook my head whenever i heard a Ghanaian call a Caribbean brother or sister that name. My relative whom i called grand pa, I confronted the man about this issue, he knew I was right, he stopped using that label! It took a young guy like me who had been in England for less than a year to tell an 80 yr old who had been living in Babylon for over 40yrs that what he called his brother was wrong. And he didn't know this all along? Perhaps he knew, or it may be the way I Malcom X'ed that soliloquy that made him think. I guess what people say is right, that I influence people by what I say. Perhaps. We must educate ourselves and think about what we say to each other. We call them akata/ahyedie3m nii and not stop to think for a second why am i say this? why am i calling him/her that name? sigh
Q' lypse
Phd
Phd

Postby Guest » Sat Aug 11, 2012 2:50 pm

akata = cutter of sugarcane on plantation.

Postby Guest » Sun Aug 12, 2012 12:08 am

Q' lypse wrote:
ive been saying this on these forums for years. Its disgusting!! I always thought it had slave connotations. Black people we are our own worse enemies!

In England, we Ghanaians call our Jamaican, Caribbean brothers and sisters, 'ahyedie3m nii'. Literally meaning, sugarcane people. This is from the slavery days since the British took the slaves to these islands to work on the sugarcane farms. I shook my head whenever i heard a Ghanaian call a Caribbean brother or sister that name. My relative whom i called grand pa, I confronted the man about this issue, he knew I was right, he stopped using that label! It took a young guy like me who had been in England for less than a year to tell an 80 yr old who had been living in Babylon for over 40yrs that what he called his brother was wrong. And he didn't know this all along? Perhaps he knew, or it may be the way I Malcom X'ed that soliloquy that made him think. I guess what people say is right, that I influence people by what I say. Perhaps. We must educate ourselves and think about what we say to each other. We call them akata/ahyedie3m nii and not stop to think for a second why am i say this? why am i calling him/her that name? sigh
onua, let's stop the crap. the social context in which the word is used changes the MEANING. clearly akata isn't used to disrespect or insult. it's almost a way of speaking in code among ourselves. an asahawo = prostitue. someone who does it for money, but in today's social context, calling someone an ashawo doesn't mean the person do it for money. could mean she's easy, sleeps w/ everyone etc., the social context changes the meaning.

what about blacks calln other blacks niggaz?

Postby Guest » Sun Aug 12, 2012 1:25 am

Anonymous wrote:
Q' lypse wrote:

onua, let's stop the crap. the social context in which the word is used changes the MEANING. clearly akata isn't used to disrespect or insult. it's almost a way of speaking in code among ourselves. an asahawo = prostitue. someone who does it for money, but in today's social context, calling someone an ashawo doesn't mean the person do it for money. could mean she's easy, sleeps w/ everyone etc., the social context changes the meaning.

I agree, that's y we shouldn't be upset when whites call Africans monkey and throw bananas at us because the social context has changed the meaning of banana throwing at blacks. It could mean blacks are sexy, intelligent and cool.

Postby Guest » Sun Aug 12, 2012 5:17 am

Anonymous wrote:
Anonymous wrote:
Q' lypse wrote:

I agree, that's y we shouldn't be upset when whites call Africans monkey and throw bananas at us because the social context has changed the meaning of banana throwing at blacks. It could mean blacks are sexy, intelligent and cool.
one is being done w/ the intention of insulting or disrespecting. one isn't.

two scenarios:
i fockd some akata girl yesterday
and
you fukn akata!!!

same word, used differently. in the first case, akata isn't being used to disrespect / insult. in your example of monkeys n bananas, it clearly is. blacks calling other blacks that. a white or someone from another race doing it changes the picture. you fight with your relatives n calls each other all names. the moment an outsider does it, you'll rip at them

Postby Guest » Sun Aug 12, 2012 9:52 am

Anonymous wrote:
Anonymous wrote:
Anonymous wrote:
Q' lypse wrote:

one is being done w/ the intention of insulting or disrespecting. one isn't.

two scenarios:
i fockd some akata girl yesterday
and
you fukn akata!!!

same word, used differently. in the first case, akata isn't being used to disrespect / insult. in your example of monkeys n bananas, it clearly is. blacks calling other blacks that. a white or someone from another race doing it changes the picture. you fight with your relatives n calls each other all names. the moment an outsider does it, you'll rip at them

Keep spewing nonsense! Iwhy don't you find African-Americans who know the meaning if akata and tell it to their face?
I think You should be called a monkey everyday because you look like one. Bananas should be thrown at you everyday because you're an African and look like a monkey . It's that simple!

Postby Q' lypse » Thu Aug 16, 2012 5:01 pm

2 guests going at each other?

its hard to debate with a guest username. show ur face (i mean ur name) :D :lol: 8)
Q' lypse
Phd
Phd

Postby Guest » Sat Aug 18, 2012 4:00 pm

Q' lypse wrote:2 guests going at each other?

its hard to debate with a guest username. show ur face (i mean ur name) :D :lol: 8)

One of them is me (dr.luv), I keep forgetting that one doesn't need to sign in before posting on immigration forum. :lol:

Postby BiGxGh.Com™ » Sat Aug 25, 2012 12:17 pm

Q' lypse wrote:

I have never lived in Babylon so i dont know about the ahyedie3n nii..i must say thats very very bad but there's nothing derogatory about the word 'AKATA'...its just a case of some too known Africans who got exposed to the ills of the west and they quickly associate that word to 'NIGGER' so to speak.

Akata simple put is a Yoruba term meaning a non domestic cat... a cat who doesnt live at home..they also have a name for a domestic cat...so its easy to understand why our African-American brothers will be subjected to such a name because they were taking away from THEIR HOME!!!

The usage of the word is a whole other ball game as someone said earlier... we should educated ourselves ... even the word ' BLACK PEOPLE' can be used offensively but that doesn't mean 'BLACK PEOPLE' is a derogatory term is it?

Saying we refer to them as animal too doesnt hold water when even African-Americans themselves refer to their buddies as 'cat'... 'yo this cat is mad cool'... 'i dont f&%k with this cat man' etc...
BiGxGh.Com™
BSc
BSc

Postby dr.luv » Sat Aug 25, 2012 3:24 pm

Keep on rationalizing it all you want but don't complain when they call u monkey and throw banana at you. It's very simple.
dr.luv
BSc
BSc

Postby BiGxGh.Com™ » Sat Aug 25, 2012 5:52 pm

dr.luv wrote:Keep on rationalizing it all you want but don't complain when they call u monkey and throw banana at you. It's very simple.
very very ignorant i must say smh... comparing apples to oranges... if you think 'akata' is in the same boat as 'monkey' then hey thats your cup of tea but its to up to us to educate people about the truth..instead of running around with misinformation and trying to spin that off as the truth :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
BiGxGh.Com™
BSc
BSc

Postby dr.luv » Wed Aug 29, 2012 4:09 am

BiGxGh.Com™ wrote:
dr.luv wrote:Keep on rationalizing it all you want but don't complain when they call u monkey and throw banana at you. It's very simple.
very very ignorant i must say smh... comparing apples to oranges... if you think 'akata' is in the same boat as 'monkey' then hey thats your cup of tea but its to up to us to educate people about the truth..instead of running around with misinformation and trying to spin that off as the truth :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

we africans look like monkeys and should be addressed as such. bananas must always be thrown at us. it's that simple!
dr.luv
BSc
BSc

Postby BiGxGh.Com™ » Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:16 pm

dr.luv wrote:
BiGxGh.Com™ wrote:

we africans look like monkeys and should be addressed as such. bananas must always be thrown at us. it's that simple!
see this kejetia logic atweaa aaa smh....
BiGxGh.Com™
BSc
BSc

Next

Return to Immigration