Display optionsMobile website

Discussion Forums

Dr. Shaq

Basketball, Golf, Volleyball etc

Moderator: deciiva

Dr. Shaq

Postby dr.luv » Sun May 06, 2012 11:32 pm

Shaq earns education doctorate

MIAMI -- Former NBA star Shaquille O'Neal is a doctor now.

Shaq
O'Neal

O'Neal received his doctoral degree in education from Barry University alongside 1,100 other students during commencement ceremonies on Saturday.

The Miami Herald reports O'Neal got on one knee so the chair of Barry's organizational learning and leadership program could drape a light blue hood around O'Neal's more-than-7-foot frame.

O'Neal then high-fived other graduates as he made his way back to his seat along with his manager, Cynthia Atterberry, who also received a doctorate in education.

The former All-Star and MVP earned a cumulative grade-point average of 3.813 while completing 54 credit hours at Barry, mostly through online courses and video conferencing over the past four years. O'Neal's doctoral capstone project explored how CEOs and business leaders use humor in the workplace.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/78956 ... -education
dr.luv
BSc
BSc

Postby Kofi Jolof » Sun May 06, 2012 11:49 pm

Congrats to Shaq, but a doctorate through online courses and video conferences? I take it Barry University is one of those for-profit schools like University of Phoenix etc.

The TNT crew of Shaq, Ernie, Kenny and Barkely are the absolute best!!!
Kofi Jolof
MSc
MSc

Postby Turbo Turbulance » Sun May 06, 2012 11:53 pm

Even Jerry Rawlings the pikinabolo bastard is a Dr. too. :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow:
Turbo Turbulance
Phd
Phd

Postby dr.luv » Mon May 07, 2012 12:02 am

Kofi Jolof wrote:Congrats to Shaq, but a doctorate through online courses and video conferences? I take it Barry University is one of those for-profit schools like University of Phoenix etc.

there will always be a debate on getting a higher degree online but the reality is, traditional classroom education isn't always perfect either. many students cheat their way thru and in some cases, if a student attends classes regularly, he or she will pass a class. either way, education (in the US especially) is 100% business.
Last edited by dr.luv on Mon May 07, 2012 1:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
dr.luv
BSc
BSc

Postby Lion_O_Judah » Mon May 07, 2012 12:11 am

Turbo Turbulance wrote:Even Jerry Rawlings the pikinabolo bastard is a Dr. too. :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow:

You need to show some focking respect ok! You focking impotent donkey son of a whore. ... :roll: :twisted: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow:
Lion_O_Judah
MSc
MSc

Postby Kofi Jolof » Mon May 07, 2012 12:23 am

Lion_O_Judah wrote:
Turbo Turbulance wrote:Even Jerry Rawlings the pikinabolo bastard is a Dr. too. :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow:

You need to show some focking respect ok! You focking impotent donkey son of a whore. ... :roll: :twisted: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow:

You blowing off some steam before Game 4. Nuggets go even out the series tonight?
Kofi Jolof
MSc
MSc

Postby Lion_O_Judah » Mon May 07, 2012 1:24 am

Kofi Jolof wrote:
Lion_O_Judah wrote:

You blowing off some steam before Game 4. Nuggets go even out the series tonight?

Yesssssssssssirrrrrr! Nuggets got this. :D
Lion_O_Judah
MSc
MSc

Postby Kofi Jolof » Mon May 07, 2012 1:37 am

Lion_O_Judah wrote:
Kofi Jolof wrote:
Lion_O_Judah wrote:

Yesssssssssssirrrrrr! Nuggets got this. :D

I laugh everytime I see Javale McGhee...bobo is awkward, but not half bad :lol: :lol: :lol:
Kofi Jolof
MSc
MSc

Postby truemamamia » Mon May 07, 2012 1:57 am

Kofi Jolof wrote:Congrats to Shaq, but a doctorate through online courses and video conferences? I take it Barry University is one of those for-profit schools like University of Phoenix etc.

I was wondering same thing as I cant see how somebody can get a PHD online. However the way the article is written...i presume that a doctorate in Education aint same thing as a PHD. I wonder if there is a difference?(am lazy to look it up)
truemamamia
Phd
Phd

Postby Akokora Gyeene » Mon May 07, 2012 2:17 am

truemamamia wrote:

I was wondering same thing as I cant see how somebody can get a PHD online. However the way the article is written...i presume that a doctorate in Education aint same thing as a PHD. I wonder if there is a difference?(am lazy to look it up)

You are right, its a different doctorate. A PHD requires a minimum of 3 years, this online thing was only 54 credits :lol: :lol: :lol: These days there is a doctorate of everything in America, there is a doctorate in nursing, very confusing.
Last edited by Akokora Gyeene on Mon May 07, 2012 2:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Akokora Gyeene
Phd
Phd

Postby dr.luv » Mon May 07, 2012 2:17 am

truemamamia wrote:

PHD is PHD and it doesnt matter whether it's in the liberal arts, humanities, education... As long as the school that offers it is accredited, no questions should be asked.
dr.luv
BSc
BSc

Postby dr.luv » Mon May 07, 2012 2:19 am

Akokora Gyeene wrote:
truemamamia wrote:

You are right, its a different doctorate. A PHD requires a minimum of 3 years, this online thing was only 54 credits :lol: :lol: :lol: These days the a doctorate of everything in America, there is a doctorate in nursing, very confusing.

times have changed maan! :lol:
many people in the liberal arts are even doing their phds right after undergrad studies.
dr.luv
BSc
BSc

Postby KDA » Mon May 07, 2012 2:24 am

truemamamia wrote:

You might be wondering b'cos of your "PhD" you earned in this forum. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Doctor of Philosophy in any field is completely different from other Doctorate degrees like MD (Doctor of Medicine), Pharm D (Doctor of Pharmacy), etc. I am a Pharm D but not a PhD. To get a PhD in Pharmacy, I would need to do more research to earn it.
KDA
BSc
BSc

Postby Akokora Gyeene » Mon May 07, 2012 2:24 am

dr.luv wrote:
Akokora Gyeene wrote:
truemamamia wrote:

You are right, its a different doctorate. A PHD requires a minimum of 3 years, this online thing was only 54 credits :lol: :lol: :lol: These days the a doctorate of everything in America, there is a doctorate in nursing, very confusing.

times have changed maan! :lol:
many people in the liberal arts are even doing their phds right after undergrad studies.

I hear there is a 6 year program from undergrad to phd 6 years, PHD :shock: :shock: I don waste my life paaaa, how man suffer before oh
Akokora Gyeene
Phd
Phd

Postby dr.luv » Mon May 07, 2012 2:36 am

Akokora Gyeene wrote:
truemamamia wrote:

You are right, its a different doctorate. A PHD requires a minimum of 3 years, this online thing was only 54 credits :lol: :lol: :lol: These days there is a doctorate of everything in America, there is a doctorate in nursing, very confusing.

guess they like specialization. I think phd in nursing has to do with clinical portion (including research) related specifically to the nursing field.
dr.luv
BSc
BSc

Postby truemamamia » Mon May 07, 2012 2:36 am

dr.luv wrote:
truemamamia wrote:

PHD is PHD and it doesnt matter whether it's in the liberal arts, humanities, education... As long as the school that offers it is accredited, no questions should be asked.

A doctorate in Education isnt the same as PHD. Check KDA's explanation. And I found this link...go the section that has the title "Comparisons of the Ed.D to the Ph.D. in education"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doctor_of_ ... _education

Either way congrats to Shaquille!!!!
truemamamia
Phd
Phd

Postby truemamamia » Mon May 07, 2012 2:42 am

KDA wrote:
truemamamia wrote:

You might be wondering b'cos of your "PhD" you earned in this forum. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Doctor of Philosophy in any field is completely different from other Doctorate degrees like MD (Doctor of Medicine), Pharm D (Doctor of Pharmacy), etc. I am a Pharm D but not a PhD. To get a PhD in Pharmacy, I would need to do more research to earn it.

The american terms are very weird. IMO the biggest bullsshit is the MD title. Outside the USA...to be called an MD...one needs to do a PHD in medicine. It is confusing sometimes...
truemamamia
Phd
Phd

Postby dr.luv » Mon May 07, 2012 2:46 am

truemamamia wrote:
dr.luv wrote:
truemamamia wrote:

A doctorate in Education isnt the same as PHD. Check KDA's explanation. And I found this link...go the section that has the title "Comparisons of the Ed.D to the Ph.D. in education"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doctor_of_ ... _education

Either way congrats to Shaquille!!!!

I think this (just like wiki mentioned) only exists in the US. I have a friend who has completed his doctorate degree in psychology but his title says PsyD. It's kinda confusing... :lol: Regardless, they are all called DOCTORS.
dr.luv
BSc
BSc

Postby el Padrino » Mon May 07, 2012 2:54 am

Shaq is visible. He's a goof but broadcasting isn't his forte.
el Padrino
Phd
Phd

Postby dr.luv » Mon May 07, 2012 3:21 am

el Padrino wrote:

Shaq is visible. He's a goof but broadcasting isn't his forte.

Do you thinks he has.poor grammar, lacks diction or what?
dr.luv
BSc
BSc

Next

Return to Other Sports