Display optionsMobile website

Discussion Forums

What is the real meaning of the word 'OBRONI' ?

All about God and Gods

Moderators: deciiva, Q' lypse

What is the real meaning of the word 'OBRONI' ?

Postby obibini » Mon Jan 01, 2007 8:48 pm

I thought I shd share this info with fellow forummers and also see ur thoughts.
Most twi/akan speakers when asked what the word 'OBRONI' means would say it means whiteman.Close analysis however will reveal that it refers to the whiteman but does not mean whiteman(note the difference).
whiteman in twi will go s'thing like 'BERIMA FITAA' or 'BERIMA KOKOO' .
I spoke to this elderly man who broke down the word for me telling me that most of the names Africans give have meanings and are usually gven based on x'ter,appearance,etc
The original words 'ABRO NI' or 'ABRO FUOR' meaning wicked person/people or someone who harms u have been corrupted to the present 'ABRONI' & 'ABROFO' wch have lost their true meanings.
Interestingly the GAs call the whiteman 'ABLOFONYO' wch originally was 'ABLO FO NYO' or 'ABLO FO TSERME' wch also means wicked person/people.In GA when s'one says 'MA YE BO ABLO' or in Twi 'ME DI WO ABRO' ,it means I will harm u.Whiteman in GA shd go s'thing like 'NU YEN' .
In EWE the whiteman is called 'YEVU' wch is a corruption of 'AYEVU' wch means cunning dog.A dog wch pretends to be ur friend but eventually bites u. White/red man in EWE shd go s'thing like 'NUTSU BIA' .
In hausa,the whiteman is called 'BATURI' wch Im told is not a good word.In another northern language/arab ' NASARA' wch is a corruption of 'ASARA' wch means killer.In swahili 'MUSUNGU' wch means a cunning/deceiptful person.The Nigerian 'OYIBO' I am told is not a good word either.I am sure our forebearers must have given them those names based on the behaviour of the whiteman.Their history of pillaging,murder,theft and destruction make these very deserving names for them!
I would appreciate it if forummers could express their thoughts and make some contributions wch they make have.
obibini
JSS
JSS

Postby Q' lypse » Tue Jan 02, 2007 12:47 am

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

EEhhhhhhheeiiiiii!!!!!!! Asem ni? These things are right before our eyes but we can't see it.

Charley Obibini, thanks a lot. Thanks a lot. I don't think I have much to say at the moment but I will probably come up with something. Damn brother!
Q' lypse
Phd
Phd

Postby Ekelksupa™ » Tue Jan 02, 2007 8:29 am

This ish is crazy :lol:
But Obibini since you are able to xplain the
meaning of Obroni, why don't u do justice
in explaining OBIBINI? :lol:
Ekelksupa™
Otumfuo of the House
Otumfuo of the House

Postby Obroni » Tue Jan 02, 2007 2:24 pm

I suppose I should know as it's my name!

Never heard anything about it being a translation of 'evil person'

I was under the impression that 'Boro' means 'the horizon', therefore A-boro-kyire means land beyond/behind the horizon, and O-boro-ni is someone who is from those lands.

It certainly doesn't mean whiteman literally, but being a white man in Ghana you are, obviously, an obroni. I worked with a black American who everybody referred to as 'Obroni Tuntum'.

Lots of whites I knew in Ghana got pissed off about being called 'Obroni' everywhere they went and said it was racism. I don't believe that- it's just a greeting. It's certainly nothing as bad as the whiteman's use of that terrible word 'Nigger'

If they didn't like it, I always told them to respect the country they're in and learn something in the local language like "Me pa wo kyew, ye nfre obroni, ye fre me......"
Obroni
JSS
JSS

Postby el Padrino » Wed Jan 03, 2007 12:24 pm

Obroni wrote:I suppose I should know as it's my name!

I was under the impression that 'Boro' means 'the horizon', therefore A-boro-kyire means land beyond/behind the horizon, and O-boro-ni is someone who is from those lands.

It certainly doesn't mean whiteman literally, but being a white man in Ghana you are, obviously, an obroni. I worked with a black American who everybody referred to as 'Obroni Tuntum'.

Lots of whites I knew in Ghana got pissed off about being called 'Obroni' everywhere they went and said it was racism. I don't believe that- it's just a greeting. It's certainly nothing as bad as the whiteman's use of that terrible word 'Nigger'

If they didn't like it, I always told them to respect the country they're in and learn something in the local language like "Me pa wo kyew, ye nfre obroni, ye fre me......"

Yeh this makes more sense. Why we always gotta be fighting white people anyways? Then we complain when a black person is a victim of racism?

btw some one wanna answer Apus' question?
el Padrino
Phd
Phd

Postby Kel$ » Wed Jan 03, 2007 6:01 pm

wow...Our forefathers were trying to warn us about something...I wonder what???
Kel$
Phd
Phd

Postby KD » Wed Oct 31, 2007 4:14 pm

Kel$ wrote:wow...Our forefathers were trying to warn us about something...I wonder what???

You dey wonder?

:cry: :cry: They saw it, but some people sold us out.
KD
Phd
Phd

Postby Succinct » Wed Oct 31, 2007 5:35 pm

Obroni wrote:I suppose I should know as it's my name!

yes, you are right in the sense that "oburoni" does not come with as much of the historical baggage as something like "nigger"...but apparently, it reflects certain attitudes among locals towards "white" people...and these attitudes are informed by a history of relations...i guess you could look at the other names that other ethnic groups use to refer to "whites" and discover a similar pattern....i actually opened a thread to that effect earlier today, and there were a lot of interesting revelations...in addition to some of what obibini has said above...
Succinct
MSc
MSc

Postby Fremacious* » Wed Oct 31, 2007 11:54 pm

Kwabena al Khebab wrote:
Kel$ wrote:wow...Our forefathers were trying to warn us about something...I wonder what???

You dey wonder?

:cry: :cry: They saw it, but some people sold us out.

Ibi so :cry: :cry:
Hmmm..... 3 y3 asem ooo :cry:
Fremacious*
Phd
Phd

Postby the BALCK » Thu Nov 01, 2007 3:49 pm

:evil: :evil: :evil: Those Western Devils :evil: :evil: :evil:
the BALCK
SSS
SSS

Postby KD » Thu Nov 01, 2007 4:21 pm

I was asking about the whole Kwasida thing...if it's etymology is in fuul, then why are people called Kwesi/Kwasi? was it to simply extend the use of the day name thing or what?

@ Obroni, people calling African Americans obroni is simply an act of ignorance; they dont know how pisst they get when they are associated with the same people who have screwed them for centuries...it's all ignorance, just klike some Ghanaians born and bred abroad are called obroni when they return, or even half castes are called 'disappointed whites' :lol: :shock: :shock:

And for those whites who think obroni is on the same level with the n word, they are simply dumb.
KD
Phd
Phd

Postby Dos Equis » Sun Dec 02, 2007 2:20 am

something to do with corn?
Dos Equis
MSc
MSc

Postby Q' lypse » Sat Nov 12, 2011 8:17 am

:D
Q' lypse

Postby thebalck1 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 6:13 am

Q' lypse wrote::D

YOU CAN SAY THAT AGAIN WHITE DEVILS :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
thebalck1
SSS
SSS

Postby Q' lypse » Tue Nov 22, 2011 7:58 am

thebalck1 wrote:
Q' lypse wrote::D

YOU CAN SAY THAT AGAIN WHITE DEVILS :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Im not thinking the same way you are thinking? :?
Q' lypse
Phd
Phd

Postby Mantash » Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:31 am

I met this Asanti dude who told me the meaning is beautiful, it is his daughter's name, Broni.
Mantash
BSc
BSc

Postby Coach Prekese » Wed Feb 22, 2012 3:11 pm

interesting. 8) 8) 8) 8)
Coach Prekese
BSc
BSc

Return to Osofo Joint (religion)