Display optionsMobile website

Discussion Forums

PACMAN VS MAYWEATHER MAY 5TH!!!

Discuss boxing and other sports

Moderator: deciiva

PACMAN VS MAYWEATHER MAY 5TH!!!

Postby Arrestedinho » Sat Jan 14, 2012 8:58 am

"Manny Pacquiao has accepted Floyd Mayweather's challenge for a showdown in May, but barriers remain in the way of a possible super-fight.

On Wednesday, Mayweather demanded Pacquiao to “give the world what they want to see” and agree to a bout on 5 May.

And while Pacquiao said he wanted the fight, he said he favours a date in late May and suggested Mayweather could not guarantee his side of the purse.

“This is the fight the world wants,” said Philippine superstar Pacquiao.

“[But] Mayweather wants a guaranteed purse so what he has to do is get a promoter who can give him the guarantee.

“I don't have problems getting a guarantee because I have a promoter who will give me my guaranteed purse.

“If he gets a guarantee, then we are going to share the revenue on a 50-50 basis.”

Pacquiao's promoter Bob Arum added: “There is no problem on our part – the problem is on Mayweather's.

“Mayweather needs somebody on his side that's going to guarantee his purse. Mayweather has nobody on his side and GBP (Oscar de la Hoya's Golden Boy Promotions) is not going to guarantee his purse.”

Arum and Pacquiao's financial advisor, Michael Koncz, wants a bout in late May to coincide with the completion of a 45,000-seater arena in Las Vegas.

The MGM Grand, where Mayweather is booked to fight on 5 May, has a capacity of only 17,000 and Koncz claims an additional $30m (£13m) could be raised if the bout took place in the new venue.

“Why would I tell Manny to fight on 5 May and throw away a percentage of $30m? That's crazy,” said Koncz.

Last week, five-weight world champion Mayweather had a 90-day jail term deferred so that he could fulfil a pre-arranged date at the MGM Grand. He will now begin his sentence on 1 June.

The WBC welterweight champion subsequently used his Twitter account https://twitter.com/#%21/FloydMayweather to challenge Pacquiao.

“Step up Punk,” said the undefeated American. “Manny Pacquiao I'm calling you out let's fight May 5 and give the world what they want to see (sic).”

A year ago, talks failed http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/boxing/8427743.stm when Pacquiao, 33, pulled out after Mayweather demanded random drugs tests before the bout.

At the time Arum called Mayweather “a psychological coward who doesn't want to fight anybody who has a chance of beating him”, and predicted the bout would never take place.

But if the purse on offer matches the £25m-per-fighter deal that was rumoured to be on offer last year, the biggest payday in boxing history may prove persuasive."

:roll: :roll: :roll: :o
Arrestedinho
BSc
BSc

Postby kuro be so Hene » Sat Jan 14, 2012 9:37 am

The money mAn will down him. He better think twice before entering the ring
kuro be so Hene
BSc
BSc

Postby Hassim » Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:54 am

Those 2 will fight some day....there is too much money involved for them not to fight....but May 5th is an unlikely date. Arum has said repeatedly that because of the severity of Pacquiao's cut in the Marquez fight it would be too soon for Pacquiao to face Floyd in a fight of that magnitude.

Moreover Pacquiao's financial adviser, Michael Koncz has said that Pacquiao stands to lose too much money if the fight is held before completion of this new Vegas stadium. On the part of Mayweather, a fight in late May might deny him the opportunity to savour the win (a foregone conclusion?) before he starts his jail term in early June. In fact rumour has it that Jose Sulaiman is poised to sanction a fight at 150lbs. between Mayweather and Canelo Alvarez, for May 5th.

Yeah May 5th for Pacquiao/Mayweather would be nice, but I see too many obstacles.
Hassim
BSc
BSc

Postby modinsane » Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:59 am

Mayweather is serving JAIL sentence in Vegas so what is he talking about.
modinsane
BSc
BSc

Postby Hassim » Sat Jan 14, 2012 11:20 am

modinsane wrote:Mayweather is serving JAIL sentence in Vegas so what is he talking about.

He hasn't started yet.
Hassim
BSc
BSc

Postby NaMrecco$ » Sat Jan 14, 2012 12:22 pm

modinsane wrote:Mayweather is serving JAIL sentence in Vegas so what is he talking about.
was postponed till June ..
NaMrecco$
Professor
Professor

Postby joekofi12 [Numo Tohba] » Sat Jan 14, 2012 12:49 pm

We are in January and they can speed up construction in order to finish the new stadium for a May 5 bout!!! :idea: :idea: :idea:
joekofi12 [Numo Tohba]
MSc
MSc

Postby Charles H.I.C Sackey » Sat Jan 14, 2012 1:10 pm

I wouldn't give him a fight if i were Pacman. Mayweather is an opportunist who wouldn't fight any top boxer in their prime.
After ducking like a coward he now has the nerves to demand the fight after he realized Pacman may be losing his mojo.
Charles H.I.C Sackey
BSc
BSc

Postby Charles H.I.C Sackey » Sat Jan 14, 2012 1:22 pm

Wasted chances wrote:
Charles H.I.C Sackey wrote:I wouldn't give him a fight if i were Pacman. Mayweather is an opportunist who wouldn't fight any top boxer in their prime.
After ducking like a coward he now has the nerves to demand the fight after he realized Pacman may be losing his mojo.

They are the same age... :roll:

I'm not talking about age. Pacman has a lot of mileage on his little body because of the kinds of fights he has been in and that is starting to show big time. He has also been involved in other ventures so there's a distraction factor involved.
Never mind that Mayweather retired sometime back when Pacman hit his prime.
Clearly there's a reason Pretty boy is now demanding the fight after years of ducking.
And by the way the word "prime" doesn't mean age.
Charles H.I.C Sackey
BSc
BSc

Postby B DIDDY » Sat Jan 14, 2012 2:33 pm

Charles H.I.C Sackey wrote:
Wasted chances wrote:
Charles H.I.C Sackey wrote:I wouldn't give him a fight if i were Pacman. Mayweather is an opportunist who wouldn't fight any top boxer in their prime.

I'm not talking about age. Pacman has a lot of mileage on his little body because of the kinds of fights he has been in and that is starting to show big time. He has also been involved in other ventures so there's a distraction factor involved.
Clearly there's a reason Pretty boy is now demanding the fight after years of ducking.

nonsense....... how about the fact that the same 'prime' fighters were ducking him.......for example sugar Shane would not fight him for how many years but when he need a pay day and fought may, everyone all of a sudden started to talk about him not fighting ppl in their prime......... name one fight he has said no to?
B DIDDY
Phd
Phd

Postby kofi kyei » Sat Jan 14, 2012 2:37 pm

joekofi12 [Numo Tohba] wrote:We are in January and they can speed up construction in order to finish the new stadium for a May 5 bout!!! :idea: :idea: :idea:
cowboys stadium can easily host em but it dont matter, boxing is about to be a relic
kofi kyei
MSc
MSc

Postby deciiva » Sat Jan 14, 2012 3:28 pm

triggs wrote:
joekofi12 [Numo Tohba] wrote:We are in January and they can speed up construction in order to finish the new stadium for a May 5 bout!!! :idea: :idea: :idea:
cowboys stadium can easily host em but it dont matter, boxing is about to be a relic

Cowboys Stadium. was thinking same when i read the report
deciiva

Postby Djata » Sat Jan 14, 2012 3:42 pm

B DIDDY wrote:
Charles H.I.C Sackey wrote:
Wasted chances wrote:

nonsense....... how about the fact that the same 'prime' fighters were ducking him.......for example sugar Shane would not fight him for how many years but when he need a pay day and fought may, everyone all of a sudden started to talk about him not fighting ppl in their prime......... name one fight he has said no to?

That's a blatant lie!!!! It's the other way round in terms of ducking fighters. Mayweather won't fight the Trinidads, the Vargas', the Mayorgas of the world when they were in their prime. He fought a washed up Oscar (a fight I still think De La Hoya won) and even struggled. Now he wants to fight Pacman on his date, his terms because he thinks Pacman struggled against Marquezs. I hope this fight comes on. You'll see what Pacman will do to his little arrogant scared arse.
Djata
BSc
BSc

Return to Boxing