Display optionsMobile website

Discussion Forums

As a Christian how do you feel after reading this??

All about God and Gods

Moderators: deciiva, Q' lypse

Postby Guest » Sat Oct 01, 2011 8:59 am

maradona wrote:I understand that a person cannot be forced to believe in god mentally. But that doesn’t stop people from forcing others to do it.( all im saying is there are many people who have been forced to be Christian or they can risked losing their family, friends etc.). if you don’t understand what I have just wrote above, just do your own research or I can even give you an example if you like. ok sorry I said that u are selfish, but do you agree with me that many Christians are very selfish and all they think about is themselves and their family?. I understood what you said about American culture and im also asking you that does it cause any harm to anyone if they promotes other culture as uncivilized.?

If you don't believe and you're just "acting" then it's not "true" Christianity. There are children who go to church because it will make their mom/dad happy. There are children who don't believe but they up a show because it will make their mom/dad happy. Such parents should come to terms with reality and allow their son/daughter to do as they wish. You can only show them the way to God and the choice is theirs. You can't force it on them. So I still stand that no one can be forced to be a Christian. You can act like one though. Well those very selfish Christians don't really understand certain things. And it's those Christians who fall for cheap tricks by pastors. Some people they want to hear preaching where a pastor will tell them "you will prosper and buy cars, houses,". The Bible says godliness isn't a means for financial gain. :idea: Not everyone understands that. Unfortunately. And those are the Christians you speak off. I know what you're talking about. There are many t.v. preachers who build on the confusion of these Christians and sell them books like, "Unleash Wealth Over Your Life Today" :lol: Consider how Ghanaian culture is immitating American culture. Where we are shaking of some of our values and taking up American ones 'cause we want to be like them. Has that change been for the better or worse? I also wrote that because you said Christians tell people their old ways which work for them are wrong. Americans tell people their old ways are uncivilized :-). Why don't you criticize the Americans? Also, if you feel that someone is not up to your standard and your better than them, how will you treat such a person? Consider what American's have been doing in other countries from Roosevelt's time.

“Wars and bombs are fought and thrown in the name of Christians? I can get atheists in here who can tell you how awful that statemet is. So Ghadaffi wasn't a Christian and that's why his people wanted him out? Or maybe because Germans weren't Christians that's why WWII was fought. Come on, brother.” Guess

Example, president bush also used the Christian propaganda when he invaded Iraq.
And "now again", Mr Bush is quoted as telling the two, "I feel God's words coming to me: 'Go get the Palestinians their state and get the Israelis their security, and get peace in the Middle East.' And by God, I'm gonna do it."
http://www.commondreams.org/headlines05/1007-03.htm
also check out the crusades while you are at it.

C'mon, bro. You and I both know that war wasn't fought over/because of Christianity or God. It was over oil :idea: The war wasn't fought over or because of God/Christianity. You and I know it. And also, consider what happened around that time. How many people started going to church when 9/11 occurred? Why run to God when turns aren't looking too good? :lol: Consider also that "tactics" are involved in politics.

I think its wrong for Christians to get beat or get killed because of their believes, obviously some people can’t control their hatred so they will do something like that. Also im guessing those Christians know what they are doing and what they are trying to achieve. All this stuff contribute to my atheism because I think about it all the time why god isn’t doing anything about it.(well im sure you are thinking the explanation is in the bible, I don’t think its good enough for me. Not very logical in my opinion.)
I don’t remember saying Christians are confused people but I think all I do is ask questions, maybe some of my questions are very extreme. I don’t hate Christians at all and also I don’t make fun of them I come here to learn more about different believes and why people have chosen to believe what they do that’s all.( just recently I have learned about eck from kwame that I didn’t even know and I think its interesting.)

Unfortunately, aside from "read the Bible" and "pray to God", I don't really have any answers to give you on some of your questions. I'm not God. I'm just like you, brother. I have questions of my own as-well but God isn't made any smaller or bigger because the things in this world leaves me confused. God's thoughts and man's thoughts are very different, brother. That's all I can tell you. Also "I don't think its good enough for me", sounds like you're asking some of these questions with certain expectations for answers. I can't tell you what you want to hear or what will satisfy your ears, bro. Many people ask some of their questions expecting to hear certain things back as responses and when they don't hear them that's when they assume all kinds of things. But it's human nature I guess. Not very logical? Have you considered how you are looking at things, considering things? One person can read the Bible and become a changed man, the other can read it and it would be just like reading a regular novel. Why do you think that is? What's the difference in approach used by the two people?

The reason I made my comments about your blood boiling over matters of God, Christianity was because of how you replied to one of the posts in one of the threads. You thought the guest poster was a Christian and even went on to insult him/her not knowing it was quophi aletse. :lol: You tone suggests you don't really have a "soft spot" for Christians. I always feel/think you're holding some kind of grudge against God, Christianity whenever I read your posts (true talk). It's good to know you don't hate Christians :lol: I also learned about that ECK stuff here. And met guys like Aletse, and Q'lypse.

In closing, you feel that you have these questions that doesn't make sense when you think about it and God doesn't answer your questions but what about science and some of its loop holes?
- Does it answer ALL questions?

- Does it offer solutions to ALL problems?

- Check out statistics of how life has changed in America since Christianity & prayer were taken out of schools.

- Why is that when some people are in Ghana and things are hard they are super Christians but when they go abroad and life gets a bit easier they turn around to say "there is no God"?

- God doesn't exist but yet why do many turn to this same God who supposedly doesn't exist in times of trouble?

Certain things just can't be explained but it doesn't mean they don't exist or that they are false. Religious and spiritual matters aren't simple elementary things. they are very complex issues depending on how deep you go

Postby maradona » Sun Oct 02, 2011 4:24 am

Consider how Ghanaian culture is immitating American culture. Where we are shaking of some of our values and taking up American ones 'cause we want to be like them. Has that change been for the better or worse?

I t think it’s the lack of proper education, is the reason why they are so fascinated about America. The country will never make progress with that kind of thinking because in my opinion they are just ignorant about different types of culture. I think its very sad that our people feel that way and also they think everyone who has been to abroad is some kind of god.

Many people ask some of their questions expecting to hear certain things back as responses and when they don't hear them that's when they assume all kinds of things. But it's human nature I guess. Not very logical? Have you considered how you are looking at things, considering things? One person can read the Bible and become a changed man, the other can read it and it would be just like reading a regular novel. Why do you think that is? What's the difference in approach used by the two people?
I think it depends on the person history and how he view things. I really don’t know this one, explain to me the difference in approach.?
In closing, you feel that you have these questions that doesn't make sense when you think about it and God doesn't answer your questions but what about science and some of its loop holes?
to me science is similar to going to a doctor, if a doctor tells you something you won’t tell him he is foolish you will take him seriously because he is qualified to tell you what is wrong with your body. That’s the same way I feel about scientist, I think that they trying to explain the meaning of life(which is not an easy subject at all as many Christians think). I think evolution is a very good theory about life, it might have some loopholes but atleast they are trying and they not saying that they are infallible and we should bow down to them. The problem with the bible is that it is writing/inspire by god who calls himself perfect, so it has to be perfect or else it is phony.
You have called scientist who believe in evolution foolish. Also the bible saids who doesn’t believe in the bible is foolish. Also many Christians call scientist foolish.
Definition of foolish is - resulting from or showing a lack of sense; ill-considered; unwise: a foolish action, a foolish speech.

So my questions is.
Are all of the scientist unwise.? Lets take Richard dawkins for an example – I don’t even want to go through all of his accomplishment in life because it gives me chills just by looking at them… 2 of his awards are - he was listed by Time magazine as one of the 100 most influential people in the world in 2007, and he was ranked 20th in The Daily Telegraph's 2007 list of 100 greatest living geniuses.
So how can this genius be foolish.? Because he spent time doing researches about the meaning of life.? Pls explain to me how he is foolish because your definition of foolish is beyond me.

- Does it answer ALL questions? It doesn’t answer all the questions but they are still working on it, they might never answer all the questions but they also wont make it up to satisfy ignorant people.

- Does it offer solutions to ALL problems? It doesn’t offer solution to all problem but then again what or who offer solution to all problems and what is he waiting for.?

- Check out statistics of how life has changed in America since Christianity & prayer were taken out of schools.
we are wiser, kinder, Schools are better, different people are getting along better than ever. We have advanced a lot in the last 50yrs.

- Why is that when some people are in Ghana and things are hard they are super Christians but when they go abroad and life gets a bit easier they turn around to say "there is no God"?
poor countries are more vulnerable to believe in some type of miracles. Also education in Ghana is not as good as in the states so when people come to America they learn different things that they never thought it existed. In Ghana many people don’t know that there is actually different view of life besides following white jesus. They simply don’t understand the concept that there is actually different believes out there which is just as good or better. Their minds are not open to listen to anything else besides the bible.

- God doesn't exist but yet why do many turn to this same God who supposedly doesn't exist in times of trouble? I think its human nature to look for the easy way out when in trouble, the sooner we learn that we are on our own the better it will be for us.
maradona
BSc
BSc

Postby Q' lypse » Sun Oct 02, 2011 8:02 am

maradona wrote:You have called scientist who believe in evolution foolish. Also the bible saids who doesn’t believe in the bible is foolish. Also many Christians call scientist foolish.
Definition of foolish is - resulting from or showing a lack of sense; ill-considered; unwise: a foolish action, a foolish speech.

Bible-bangers aren't the brightest, study shows.....

The more religious you are, the less likely you are to be intelligent, a new scientific study has found.

According to researchers, Christians - particularly fundamentalists who believe the Bible is God's word - have a lower IQ than those who are less religious.

A possible reason behind the finding was a tendency for more intelligent people to challenge religious claims, said one of the researchers, New Zealand psychologist Professor Tim Bates.

"If you believe in religion, you haven't really questioned things," he said. "Brighter people were less likely to feel that religion plays a dominant role in their life."

To reach the conclusion, researchers from the University of Edinburgh compared the results of responses from 2300 adults with varying levels of religious belief. They rated themselves on a scale of one to five in response to a range of statements about their spirituality, religious identification, practices, support, mindfulness and fundamentalism.

Statements and questions included: "The Bible is the actual word of God"; "I feel God is punishing me for my sins or lack of spirituality"; and "How often do you pray in private?"

To measure intelligence, researchers carried out tests on recall, memory, verbal fluency, processing and reasoning. For example, participants were asked to recall a series of digits backwards and recite a list of words after a delay.

The researchers found higher IQ scores were significantly associated with lower scores on five of the six measures of religiosity - all except spirituality.

The strongest result was in the area of fundamental beliefs.

Intelligence was an "inoculation against fundamentalism", with each 15-point increase in IQ making people about half as likely to have strong fundamentalist views, said Bates.

"People who claim The Bible is the literal word of God are typically less likely to be intelligent," said fellow researcher Gary Lewis.

He and Bates agreed that those with higher IQs were more likely to challenge the claims made by religion.

The finding was a "fairly bold statement" to make, said University of Auckland Professor of theology, Elaine Wainwright.

She agreed fundamentalists were less likely to challenge religious beliefs, but questioned whether this was related to intelligence.

Intelligent people helped to progress religion in new directions, she said.

The study also found that women were more religious than men and those who rated high in openness were less fundamental but more spiritual.

http://msn.nzherald.co.nz/religion-and- ... d=10750898
Q' lypse
Phd
Phd

Postby Guest » Sun Oct 02, 2011 7:15 pm

Q' lypse wrote:
maradona wrote:You have called scientist who believe in evolution foolish. Also the bible saids who doesn’t believe in the bible is foolish. Also many Christians call scientist foolish.

Bible-bangers aren't the brightest, study shows.....

The more religious you are, the less likely you are to be intelligent, a new scientific study has found.

According to researchers, Christians - particularly fundamentalists who believe the Bible is God's word - have a lower IQ than those who are less religious.

A possible reason behind the finding was a tendency for more intelligent people to challenge religious claims, said one of the researchers, New Zealand psychologist Professor Tim Bates.

"If you believe in religion, you haven't really questioned things," he said. "Brighter people were less likely to feel that religion plays a dominant role in their life."

To reach the conclusion, researchers from the University of Edinburgh compared the results of responses from 2300 adults with varying levels of religious belief. They rated themselves on a scale of one to five in response to a range of statements about their spirituality, religious identification, practices, support, mindfulness and fundamentalism.

Statements and questions included: "The Bible is the actual word of God"; "I feel God is punishing me for my sins or lack of spirituality"; and "How often do you pray in private?"

To measure intelligence, researchers carried out tests on recall, memory, verbal fluency, processing and reasoning. For example, participants were asked to recall a series of digits backwards and recite a list of words after a delay.

The researchers found higher IQ scores were significantly associated with lower scores on five of the six measures of religiosity - all except spirituality.

The strongest result was in the area of fundamental beliefs.

Intelligence was an "inoculation against fundamentalism", with each 15-point increase in IQ making people about half as likely to have strong fundamentalist views, said Bates.

"People who claim The Bible is the literal word of God are typically less likely to be intelligent," said fellow researcher Gary Lewis.

He and Bates agreed that those with higher IQs were more likely to challenge the claims made by religion.

The finding was a "fairly bold statement" to make, said University of Auckland Professor of theology, Elaine Wainwright.

She agreed fundamentalists were less likely to challenge religious beliefs, but questioned whether this was related to intelligence.

Intelligent people helped to progress religion in new directions, she said.

The study also found that women were more religious than men and those who rated high in openness were less fundamental but more spiritual.

http://msn.nzherald.co.nz/religion-and- ... d=10750898

Cool :roll:

Postby Guest » Sun Oct 02, 2011 8:05 pm

maradona wrote: I t think it’s the lack of proper education, is the reason why they are so fascinated about America. The country will never make progress with that kind of thinking because in my opinion they are just ignorant about different types of culture. I think its very sad that our people feel that way and also they think everyone who has been to abroad is some kind of god.

Are you sure it's a lack of proper education? Consider what happened when Obama went to visit for a week-end. Even Ghanaians in the states consider how they were reacting :shock: Sad part is no bothered to question WHY. No no one asked themselves, Bush went, Clinton went, and now why is Obama also going. It's really sad

I think it depends on the person history and how he view things. I really don’t know this one, explain to me the difference in approach.?

The difference in approach like you said is how the two people view things. It's all perspective. :idea: Because you're not looking at it the same way through the same eyes, it wouldn't make any sense to you the way it will to someone else.

to me science is similar to going to a doctor, if a doctor tells you something you won’t tell him he is foolish you will take him seriously because he is qualified to tell you what is wrong with your body. That’s the same way I feel about scientist, I think that they trying to explain the meaning of life(which is not an easy subject at all as many Christians think). I think evolution is a very good theory about life, it might have some loopholes but atleast they are trying and they not saying that they are infallible and we should bow down to them. The problem with the bible is that it is writing/inspire by god who calls himself perfect, so it has to be perfect or else it is phony. You have called scientist who believe in evolution foolish. Also the bible saids who doesn’t believe in the bible is foolish. Also many Christians call scientist foolish. Definition of foolish is - resulting from or showing a lack of sense; ill-considered; unwise: a foolish action, a foolish speech.

Going by your doctor analogy, no one should question science and scientists because they are more qualified, right? C'mon, man. Science is risky. You don't have to be a science student to know that. Consider how many things have been held to be true only for it to be disproved later on? Do you know what a theory means? Theory isn't set in stone. Meaning someone can come by later and say, it's all bogus. :idea: Evolution is simply an observation that was made. But where did it all began? Things didn't just appear and start evolving. In order to evolve, you have to go from one thing to another. That one thing didn't just show up did it? What came first, the chicken or the egg? If the egg came first, shouldn't there have been a chicken to lay it? If the chicken came first shouldn't it have come out of an egg? Where / what began it all? Think about that. Like I said about perspective because you're looking at it the wrong way, that's why you're making the comments you are making about the Bible and God. I'm not arguing with you there because you're not looking at it in a way that will permit you to see as a believer sees it. It's a useless argument so I'm not going there with you. Christians calling scientist foolish, scientists calling Christians foolish, in the end who wins? Who gains who loses? The sad part is, do you think God is against using science to treat diseases? :oops:? Think about that wai. :)

So my questions is.
Are all of the scientist unwise.? Lets take Richard dawkins for an example – I don’t even want to go through all of his accomplishment in life because it gives me chills just by looking at them… 2 of his awards are - he was listed by Time magazine as one of the 100 most influential people in the world in 2007, and he was ranked 20th in The Daily Telegraph's 2007 list of 100 greatest living geniuses. So how can this genius be foolish.? Because he spent time doing researches about the meaning of life.? Pls explain to me how he is foolish because your definition of foolish is beyond me.

Now you are going into a new argument in my opinion. First of, wisdom and being wise has nothing to do with solving math problems, complex equations, science theories. That's why you can have a wise man who never set foot in school. Wisdom =/= book smart, brother :idea: Who cares about his accomplishments and awards? It's like someone going to an Ivy league school. Cool story, bro. We are all human beings. No one is more human than anyone else. You respect people, you congratulate them, but don't think you're any less of a person because of someone's achievements. That's just sad. Listen to yourself, "it gives me chills just by looking at them". That sounds like the kind of thinking our Ghanaians brothers and sisters probably have about American culture and American thing. :lol: I bet you'll probably call me a hater now, right? :lol:. I want you to tell me what it means to be well educated but first define education. Not from the dictionary but from your words. :lol:

It doesn’t answer all the questions but they are still working on it, they might never answer all the questions but they also wont make it up to satisfy ignorant people.

:oops: How is this different from your views of God and the Bible not having answers to all questions? :? So God and the Bible doesn't have all the answers so they aren't real. Science doesn't have all the answers either but screw God and praise science, right?

It doesn’t offer solution to all problem but then again what or who offer solution to all problems and what is he waiting for.?

So God doesn't offer solutions to problems and neither does science but once again, screw God and praise science. Cool.

we are wiser, kinder, Schools are better, different people are getting along better than ever. We have advanced a lot in the last 50yrs.

We are wiser, yet morals today have been on a decline. Better schools yet, Obama's fearing that America will fall behind in the "race" versus children in other countries. Different people are getting along better than ever yet children are committing suicide because they are teased for being gay. :-) Black vs. white is still a racial issue going on. Yet people are getting along better. Don't lie to yourself. When I said stats I was hoping you would provide number, man. Go look at the increase in childhood pregnancies since prayers were taken out of schools. Don't be deceive man. We may have advanced technologically but consider some of the things that we have left behind.

poor countries are more vulnerable to believe in some type of miracles. Also education in Ghana is not as good as in the states so when people come to America they learn different things that they never thought it existed. In Ghana many people don’t know that there is actually different view of life besides following white jesus. They simply don’t understand the concept that there is actually different believes out there which is just as good or better. Their minds are not open to listen to anything else besides the bible.

I brought up specifically Ghana and specifically people who know very well that they swept churches, went to all nights, fasted for weeks to get their visas, papers and when they get to states they turn around to say God doesn't exist. Don't say poor countries. I said Ghana! It's like a girl who helps you in life when you're at your lowest. No one else pays you any mind. Through this girls help you get to the top and you turn around to say you're above that girls class and it was a mistake all those years. It wasn't a mistake and God existed when times were hard in Ghana, right? How quick people forget things. "Education in Ghana is not as good as in the states" :shock: Dude? Are you sure? Do you know how many children come here from Ghana and tear up the school systems here? :shock: In Ghana we suffer from a lack of resources don't say our education isn't better. Do you know how my teachers complimented me as a student when I came from Ghana at just 8 years old? Don't be deceived, brother. Ghana's education system is VERY good we just suffer from a lack of resources. :idea: You are trained and taught beyond just the books. :ideas: A person's beliefs are a person's beliefs. I hate it when people say someone's belief's suck. My issue all along since I started posting here isn't that people don't believe in God but people like you hold misconceptions and bash God, Christianity and the Bible. It's just not right, fair. Although there's nothing I can do about it. Don't bash a person for their beliefs, man. There are "better beliefs" out there? Really? So someone is superior to another because of what they believe? C'mon, bro. That's just low even from you. Comments like "White Jesus" is very ignorant. I would really appreciate it if you would stop. Thanks. Don't disrespect because you don't believe or don't understand. :idea:

I think its human nature to look for the easy way out when in trouble, the sooner we learn that we are on our own the better it will be for us.

Based on your writing it seems that science would be the easy way out, though. Doesn't that provide you with answers and solutions? Even if it doesn't it gives you more than Christianity? Isn't that what you were saying? So then why would people by nature seek the easy way out and go to God and not science? Some matters go beyond what we see, hear and can touch and their called spiritual matters. Science doesn't have a thing on that. By the way, what do you think about ghosts? :lol: believe in them or not? :lol:

Postby maradona » Tue Oct 04, 2011 3:49 am

Going by your doctor analogy, no one should question science and scientists because they are more qualified, right?

I never said we shouldn’t question doctors or science. Im saying we should take them serious. Taking someone serious also involve asking questions and challenging it not just sitting there and taking it if you have a problem. I will get back to science and evolution.

in the end who wins? Who gains who loses? The sad part is, do you think God is against using science to treat diseases? ? Think about that wai.
who? well first of all I don’t think Yahweh exist.

The Richard dawkins example I gave you was to show you that he has wisdom that’s all.. I didn’t say it anywhere that he is more human that anyone else, all im saying is he has achieved a lot in life and he has helped humanity in a lot of ways. I don’t think he is more human than anyone, I just think he is very good at what he does. Just like essien is very good at soccer with a lot of accomplishment under his name. The whole point I mentioned his name was for you to tell me whether he is foolish or not.?
To me someone who is educated is someone who is being through school, and uses evidence and logic to make his/her everyday decisions and also knows that he is accountable to his own action, not depending or blaming people/demons/satans/gods for his failure.

We are wiser, yet morals today have been on a decline. Better schools yet, Obama's fearing that America will fall behind in the "race" versus children in other countries. Different people are getting along better than ever yet children are committing suicide because they are teased for being gay. Black vs. white is still a racial issue going on. Yet people are getting along better. Don't lie to yourself. When I said stats I was hoping you would provide number, man. Go look at the increase in childhood pregnancies since prayers were taken out of schools. Don't be deceive man. We may have advanced technologically but consider some of the things that we have left behind.
I know pregnance and such have went up…but pls understand that if black vs white is still racial issue, it doesn’t mean the issue hasn’t improved, common man( I really don’t want to go into more details on this topic cuz it too basic).
Dude? Are you sure? Do you know how many children come here from Ghana and tear up the school systems here? In Ghana we suffer from a lack of resources don't say our education isn't better. Do you know how my teachers complimented me as a student when I came from Ghana at just 8 years old? Don't be deceived, brother. Ghana's education system is VERY good we just suffer from a lack of resources.

just because the education isn’t as good as the state doesn’t mean we don’t have smart and intelligent people in our country. Common man. I was in Ghana in the 90s and I went to a government school that was the biggest waste of time for me cuz the school was so poorly organized. But I remember vividly that we still had some geniuses in our class but about 85% of us were learning nothing. A lot of foreigners include Ghanaians do better in America because I think America get mostly the best people that we have and the rest stay behind.( I could be wrong)
When I started posting on this website I was making unnecessary comment but I quickly realize that we should respect other believes..ask kwame.

So someone is superior to another because of what they believe? C'mon, bro. That's just low even from you. Comments like "White Jesus" is very ignorant. I would really appreciate it if you would stop. Thanks. Don't disrespect because you don't believe or don't understand.
Again im not saying some people are superior because of their believes all im saying is that Ghanians are not aware that theres other believes out there besides christianity. They also don’t even know how jewish people are tied with christianity, my point they know so little about what their believes. I honestly don’t understand with whats wrong with saying white jesus bro.wasn’t he white.?
We are brought up to believe that god answer all question and that ideology has being programmed into our heads wether we like it or not it is in out heads.
I have had a very bad experience with ghost ever since childhood. I think when I was a kid the idea of ghost was programmed into me and up to this day I cant get it over my head cuz everytime someone I know dies I find it hard to sleep. At one time someone close to me died and the next day I was taking a shower and someone turned off the light I have no idea what it was, it was freaky. In conclusion I have no idea wether ghost exist or not I don’t go with believes.
Bro im not an athiest, I am an agnostic because I have no idea how the world started and I think the koran and the bible was made up to control primitive people. I understand that science has some holes but they have also found some bones/dinasours to support their theory, they might not all be right but atleast we know that the world is older than a 100 thousands yrs through science not the bible.
what church or organization do you belong to.?
maradona
BSc
BSc

Postby Q' lypse » Tue Oct 04, 2011 7:12 am

maradona wrote: poor countries are more vulnerable to believe in some type of miracles. Also education in Ghana is not as good as in the states so when people come to America they learn different things that they never thought it existed. In Ghana many people don’t know that there is actually different view of life besides following white jesus. They simply don’t understand the concept that there is actually different believes out there which is just as good or better. Their minds are not open to listen to anything else besides the bible.

Good point. Last year when I was in Ghana, I visited the old family house at Asafo, Kumasi, where we all lived (cousins, aunts, uncles etc). My of my cousins who has become so deep in Christianity couldn't believe it when I told him I'm not religious. He was in total shock! Like the shock of the decade to his system. Its as if, it cannot be done, its impossible, how can something like this happen! But i laughed :lol: :lol: :lol: .

All he knows is the bible. He blamed abrokyere life (life abroad in a western country). I was trying to explain that life is not about how religious you are, or in his view, how Christian you are. But he wouldn't listen. Meanwhile, 15yrs ago, no, before that, when I used to go to church, i don't recall him entering a church. Ive graduated.
Q' lypse
Phd
Phd

Postby maradona » Tue Oct 04, 2011 1:09 pm

Q' lypse wrote:
maradona wrote: poor countries are more vulnerable to believe in some type of miracles. Also education in Ghana is not as good as in the states so when people come to America they learn different things that they never thought it existed. In Ghana many people don’t know that there is actually different view of life besides following white jesus. They simply don’t understand the concept that there is actually different believes out there which is just as good or better. Their minds are not open to listen to anything else besides the bible.

Good point. Last year when I was in Ghana, I visited the old family house at Asafo, Kumasi, where we all lived (cousins, aunts, uncles etc). My of my cousins who has become so deep in Christianity couldn't believe it when I told him I'm not religious. He was in total shock! Like the shock of the decade to his system. Its as if, it cannot be done, its impossible, how can something like this happen! But i laughed :lol: :lol: :lol: .

All he knows is the bible. He blamed abrokyere life (life abroad in a western country). I was trying to explain that life is not about how religious you are, or in his view, how Christian you are. But he wouldn't listen. Meanwhile, 15yrs ago, no, before that, when I used to go to church, i don't recall him entering a church. Ive graduated.

:lol: :lol: i have an uncle who is the same as your cousin, i never saw him go to church but when i told him christianity wasn't my believes he immediately told me if i want to stop church and hang out with bad people i should go ahead. he can't comprehend that someone can be good without going to church.

i dont even tell my ghanian folks about my believes, when they tell me we should pray and god will do, i just respond he sure will. i never heard anyone talked bad about Christianity until i moved out of Ghana and i couldnt believe how much decent people care little about it.
maradona
BSc
BSc

Postby Q' lypse » Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:47 pm

maradona wrote:i dont even tell my ghanian folks about my believes, when they tell me we should pray and god will do, i just respond he sure will .

usually i don't entertain those kind of sentences and thoughts. I don't bother saying anything. awuarade b3y3, y3da awaurade ase etc etc
Q' lypse
Phd
Phd

Postby Q' lypse » Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:08 pm

And Maradona, you made some good points there. There are intelligent people in Ghana but the educational level sucks, period! I don't know about the varsity level.

I left Ghana in SS2. Chalay, the first blow to hit me was the level of the English language we did in Ghana compared to South Africas'.:shock: What!? Film study, Poems-alliteration, rhyme schemes (a, a, b, a, c, a-how a poem rhymes), is this the lack of resources 'guest' is talking about in Ghana:lol:. Our people never heard of this sh*t! My love for the english language and resilience made me stick to 1st language English and did it higher grade. That is, in SA there was 1st language english, 2nd and 3rd. But even on the 1st language, subjects were divided into levels of difficulty, higher, standard and lower grades. I never went down. I stuck with English higher grade but in Maths and a few subjects, I was doing standard grade. In my secondary sch Amass, I was a biology student, I was average when I wasn't pulling my socks but a genius when I took it by the horn, I exhaled in Maths, General Science and in English, I was one of the best in the whole SS2. There was a study program that was introduced in Amass, all the students on every 2nd friday wrote a test, on science, maths and english (these were general subjects). In English I used to be in the top 10 sometimes in the whole form 2 of about 200 students. I wasn't far of in general science and Maths.

Our teachers sucked! When I came SA, kai, it was harder but the teaching made it so simple! The level of education sucks, yes it lacks resources but the level......oh oh
Q' lypse
Phd
Phd

Postby Kwame Nyame 64 » Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:29 pm

maradona wrote:
Q' lypse wrote:

:lol: :lol: i have an uncle who is the same as your cousin, i never saw him go to church but when i told him christianity wasn't my believes he immediately told me if i want to stop church and hang out with bad people i should go ahead. he can't comprehend that someone can be good without going to church.

i dont even tell my ghanian folks about my believes, when they tell me we should pray and god will do, i just respond he sure will. i never heard anyone talked bad about Christianity until i moved out of Ghana and i couldnt believe how much decent people care little about it.

l was in Ghana a few weeks ago and lm beginning to see more and more Christians embracing non christians.People l met were more accepting than l experienced in the past.Some Christians join Eckankar at the African Seminar held at East Legon.Our neighbours,the Roman Catholic Church allowed us to use part of their facility to serve the attendees.
Not very long ago,Pastor Mensah Otabil's ministry as a gesture of love and good neighbourliness help paint the central mosque at abbosey okai in accra.
The Holy Spirit is love and gradually more and more people will come to the realization that Divine love works outside their belief.Other people love God too.
The good samaritan was not a Christian.Was he?But he form the central theme of Christ's message to the world.LOVE YOUR NEIGHBOUR AS THY SELF.
So someone came foward and asked Christ,who is my neighbour.He answered with the story of the good samaritan.See?
Yes,there are of course many preconceived notions we all carry.
A good example is when l had food poisoning during my short stay back home.l struggled to the nearest clinic near Golf City,Tema.The nurse who was filling my form asked if l attended church.l said yes so she put down Christian.l corrected her and you could see her eyes pop out.lt was like shes seen an alien.
She learned that day that some non Christians attend church too.
l have learned to take the softly softly approach in this matters.Brandishing our faith invites antagonism.
There are Spiritual adepts who walk amongst us all the time.They appear in the attire of the locals and sometimes adopt mannerism and language so as to blend in smoothly.
Why cause a stare?There is no need whatsoever in my humble opinion.
We are all God's children.This is not so simple to understand and its understandable.
A family member has an affair and started another family.Things got to a head and he decided to come clean.lt wasn't easy at first but the two families came together eventually.
lt took a while for the children to understand what was going on.On one ocassion a child of wife A was asking why wife B child is calling his father dad."He is my father and not your father.Don't call him Dad" he cried.
The father laughed.He put his arms around him lovely before explaining matters.
He will grow to understand.But age is not necessarily an eye opener as the parable of the prodigan son showed.He sons who stayed with pop were not happy the way he showed love on the returnee son.
lts not all nice nice with me though when someone encroaches and try to for example pray for me or force his religion on me.l put up my defence straight away and sometimes tell them where to go.
People like that don't understand the meaning of giving others space and allowing them to be.
A guy from my village died a very painful and unnecessary death.He was a painter and a diehard born again Christian.One day he got a job and he found out his client belong to a traditional african religion.ln the absence of his client,he took down all the amulets and medicine bags and burned them to ashes.
He woke up the next day with boils all over him and a swollen stomach.He died suddenly.
He violated the psychic space of his client and paid with his life.ln his next incarnation,he may allow others to be and not encroach on others or their property.l say may because it sometimes takes several knocks for the lesson to sink in.
A good Christian and for that matter a good.."anybody" will allow others to be.Frankly it is not asking too much.
Oh! Freestyling.....mistakes and any crap here are mine. :lol:
Kwame Nyame 64
BSc
BSc

Postby Q' lypse » Wed Oct 05, 2011 6:50 am

Kwame Nyame 64 wrote:l was in Ghana a few weeks ago and lm beginning to see more and more Christians embracing non christians.People l met were more accepting than l experienced in the past.Some Christians join Eckankar at the African Seminar held at East Legon.Our neighbours,the Roman Catholic Church allowed us to use part of their facility to serve the attendees.
Not very long ago,Pastor Mensah Otabil's ministry as a gesture of love and good neighbourliness help paint the central mosque at abbosey okai in accra.

So far as I know I don't remember any discrimination from Christians against other religions or faiths, until these mofos Charismatic churches started popping up from nowhere with their ruthless poltical stance in their Christian religion. Totally changing changing Jesus' messages to hate, money making and causing great separation.
My cousin whom I mentioned before is part of one of these classroom churches. You see. I could bet maradona's uncle is not from an orthodox church. :D

Ghanaians have always tolerated other people and beliefs, although they may complain some times. :lol:. You know our people, they complain a lot. :lol:

Kwame Nyame 64 wrote:The nurse who was filling my form asked if l attended church.l said yes so she put down Christian.l corrected her and you could see her eyes pop out.lt was like shes seen an alien.
She learned that day that some non Christians attend church too.

Nonsense. She asked, that meant she was open for different answers, not what she thinks is the answer that would suit her thinking. Crazy people.

Kwame Nyame 64 wrote:
A guy from my village died a very painful and unnecessary death.He was a painter and a diehard born again Christian.One day he got a job and he found out his client belong to a traditional african religion.ln the absence of his client,he took down all the amulets and medicine bags and burned them to ashes.
He woke up the next day with boils all over him and a swollen stomach.He died suddenly.
He violated the psychic space of his client and paid with his life.ln his next incarnation,he may allow others to be and not encroach on others or their property.l say may because it sometimes takes several knocks for the lesson to sink in.

Another option would be, he may come back being somebody being discriminated against to know what it feels like, therefore to be tolerant of others beliefs next time. Its all up to the soul.
Q' lypse
Phd
Phd

Postby Guest » Wed Oct 05, 2011 3:27 pm

maradona wrote:
Q' lypse wrote:

that's called being a fake :idea: What kind of man doesn't stand up for what he believes in? :?

Postby Guest » Wed Oct 05, 2011 3:40 pm

maradona wrote:Going by your doctor analogy, no one should question science and scientists because they are more qualified, right?

I never said we shouldn’t question doctors or science. Im saying we should take them serious. Taking someone serious also involve asking questions and challenging it not just sitting there and taking it if you have a problem. I will get back to science and evolution.

in the end who wins? Who gains who loses? The sad part is, do you think God is against using science to treat diseases? ? Think about that wai.
who? well first of all I don’t think Yahweh exist.

The Richard dawkins example I gave you was to show you that he has wisdom that’s all.. I didn’t say it anywhere that he is more human that anyone else, all im saying is he has achieved a lot in life and he has helped humanity in a lot of ways. I don’t think he is more human than anyone, I just think he is very good at what he does. Just like essien is very good at soccer with a lot of accomplishment under his name. The whole point I mentioned his name was for you to tell me whether he is foolish or not.?
To me someone who is educated is someone who is being through school, and uses evidence and logic to make his/her everyday decisions and also knows that he is accountable to his own action, not depending or blaming people/demons/satans/gods for his failure.

We are wiser, yet morals today have been on a decline. Better schools yet, Obama's fearing that America will fall behind in the "race" versus children in other countries. Different people are getting along better than ever yet children are committing suicide because they are teased for being gay. Black vs. white is still a racial issue going on. Yet people are getting along better. Don't lie to yourself. When I said stats I was hoping you would provide number, man. Go look at the increase in childhood pregnancies since prayers were taken out of schools. Don't be deceive man. We may have advanced technologically but consider some of the things that we have left behind.
I know pregnance and such have went up…but pls understand that if black vs white is still racial issue, it doesn’t mean the issue hasn’t improved, common man( I really don’t want to go into more details on this topic cuz it too basic).
Dude? Are you sure? Do you know how many children come here from Ghana and tear up the school systems here? In Ghana we suffer from a lack of resources don't say our education isn't better. Do you know how my teachers complimented me as a student when I came from Ghana at just 8 years old? Don't be deceived, brother. Ghana's education system is VERY good we just suffer from a lack of resources.

just because the education isn’t as good as the state doesn’t mean we don’t have smart and intelligent people in our country. Common man. I was in Ghana in the 90s and I went to a government school that was the biggest waste of time for me cuz the school was so poorly organized. But I remember vividly that we still had some geniuses in our class but about 85% of us were learning nothing. A lot of foreigners include Ghanaians do better in America because I think America get mostly the best people that we have and the rest stay behind.( I could be wrong)
When I started posting on this website I was making unnecessary comment but I quickly realize that we should respect other believes..ask kwame.

So someone is superior to another because of what they believe? C'mon, bro. That's just low even from you. Comments like "White Jesus" is very ignorant. I would really appreciate it if you would stop. Thanks. Don't disrespect because you don't believe or don't understand.
Again im not saying some people are superior because of their believes all im saying is that Ghanians are not aware that theres other believes out there besides christianity. They also don’t even know how jewish people are tied with christianity, my point they know so little about what their believes. I honestly don’t understand with whats wrong with saying white jesus bro.wasn’t he white.?
We are brought up to believe that god answer all question and that ideology has being programmed into our heads wether we like it or not it is in out heads.
I have had a very bad experience with ghost ever since childhood. I think when I was a kid the idea of ghost was programmed into me and up to this day I cant get it over my head cuz everytime someone I know dies I find it hard to sleep. At one time someone close to me died and the next day I was taking a shower and someone turned off the light I have no idea what it was, it was freaky. In conclusion I have no idea wether ghost exist or not I don’t go with believes.
Bro im not an athiest, I am an agnostic because I have no idea how the world started and I think the koran and the bible was made up to control primitive people. I understand that science has some holes but they have also found some bones/dinasours to support their theory, they might not all be right but atleast we know that the world is older than a 100 thousands yrs through science not the bible.
what church or organization do you belong to.?

:oops: :lol: I don't belong to any church or organization. I am a believer and a Christian (follower, believer of Jesus Christ). However, I attend church because I feel being around the presence of other believers can help with one's spiritual growth. You love football so you're on a football forum discussing footbal with other football lovers and not staying home by yourself arguing with yourself or drawing up first 11 line ups for yourself. Church isn't something that's mandatory but it helps especially if it's a good church. I attend a Methodist church. I love hymns, singing, music. but I'm not denominational crazy. If I moved somewhere and there was no methodist church I would go to whatever was available so long as their teachings and practices doesn't contradict the scriptures.

---------------

I'm ending this little "argument" by not replying to any of the stuff you wrote. Why? because we are simply going around in circles here. :idea:

Postby Guest » Wed Oct 05, 2011 3:48 pm

Q' lypse wrote:And Maradona, you made some good points there. There are intelligent people in Ghana but the educational level sucks, period! I don't know about the varsity level.

I left Ghana in SS2. Chalay, the first blow to hit me was the level of the English language we did in Ghana compared to South Africas'.:shock: What!? Film study, Poems-alliteration, rhyme schemes (a, a, b, a, c, a-how a poem rhymes), is this the lack of resources 'guest' is talking about in Ghana:lol:. Our people never heard of this sh*t! My love for the english language and resilience made me stick to 1st language English and did it higher grade. That is, in SA there was 1st language english, 2nd and 3rd. But even on the 1st language, subjects were divided into levels of difficulty, higher, standard and lower grades. I never went down. I stuck with English higher grade but in Maths and a few subjects, I was doing standard grade. In my secondary sch Amass, I was a biology student, I was average when I wasn't pulling my socks but a genius when I took it by the horn, I exhaled in Maths, General Science and in English, I was one of the best in the whole SS2. There was a study program that was introduced in Amass, all the students on every 2nd friday wrote a test, on science, maths and english (these were general subjects). In English I used to be in the top 10 sometimes in the whole form 2 of about 200 students. I wasn't far of in general science and Maths.

Our teachers sucked! When I came SA, kai, it was harder but the teaching made it so simple! The level of education sucks, yes it lacks resources but the level......oh oh

there's an exception to every rule. honor roll here in the states, are dominated by foreign names. America's education system isn't superior to those of poor countries. They may have resources here in the states but doesn't mean their education system is necessarily better.

Postby O-prime » Wed Oct 05, 2011 6:55 pm

maradona wrote:
Q' lypse wrote:

Right there with you...although fam and friends know that I don't go to church as much as I used to, as far as their concerned I'm just 'backsliden" and thats fine with me! If they knew how I really felt, my life would be miserable...so I continue to talk the talk (well some of it anyway) and occasionally challenge things that can be disputed biblically :lol: I'm lucky enough to have 2 partners in my GH circle who've also shaken of Christianity/religion...THANK GOD FOR THAT! :lol:
O-prime
SSS
SSS

Postby maradona » Thu Oct 06, 2011 4:22 am

O-prime wrote:
maradona wrote:
Q' lypse wrote:

Right there with you...although fam and friends know that I don't go to church as much as I used to, as far as their concerned I'm just 'backsliden" and thats fine with me! If they knew how I really felt, my life would be miserable...so I continue to talk the talk (well some of it anyway) and occasionally challenge things that can be disputed biblically :lol: I'm lucky enough to have 2 partners in my GH circle who've also shaken of Christianity/religion...THANK GOD FOR THAT! :lol:

:lol: i know exactly how u feel bro, nowadays it seems like the only way to trick Ghanaian is to say you believe in jesus with your whole heart.
maradona
BSc
BSc

Postby Q' lypse » Thu Oct 06, 2011 6:41 am

maradona wrote:nowadays it seems like the only way to trick Ghanaian is to say you believe in jesus with your whole heart.

u guys need to grow some titanium balls and stand on ur fockin ground just as them niggas is standin on their ground campaigning their religious beliefs.

I don't give any mofo the pleasure. Not in this time and age! Hell nah! I will chew u apart psychologically and philosophically if you come at me with your rigid religious beliefs. This is why my family keep their distance when it comes to such things. Q' lypse don't take any prisoners! I've suffered enough on the hands of closed minded religious fanatics and fundamentalists!
Q' lypse
Phd
Phd

Postby O-prime » Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:46 pm

maradona wrote:
O-prime wrote:
maradona wrote:
Q' lypse wrote:

:lol: i know exactly how u feel bro, nowadays it seems like the only way to trick Ghanaian is to say you believe in jesus with your whole heart.

Yup, they'd give u their own children if you REALLY love him and asked nicely :lol:
O-prime
SSS
SSS

Postby O-prime » Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:51 pm

Q' lypse wrote:
maradona wrote:nowadays it seems like the only way to trick Ghanaian is to say you believe in jesus with your whole heart.

u guys need to grow some titanium balls and stand on ur fockin ground just as them niggas is standin on their ground campaigning their religious beliefs.

I don't give any mofo the pleasure. Not in this time and age! Hell nah! I will chew u apart psychologically and philosophically if you come at me with your rigid religious beliefs. This is why my family keep their distance when it comes to such things. Q' lypse don't take any prisoners! I've suffered enough on the hands of closed minded religious fanatics and fundamentalists!

:lol: I hear you Q, but it aint that simple. How be, btw? Anyway, you have to understand that telling them something like this is really a big deal..Your basically saying: Hey, i'm going to burn in hell forever and theres nothing you can say to change my mind :lol: . If I wanted to shorten my mothers life, I would tell her how I really feel....ya dig?
O-prime
SSS
SSS

PreviousNext

Return to Osofo Joint (religion)