Display optionsMobile website

Discussion Forums

Eat Ghanaian dishes to prevent Sickness - Health minister

Fufu, Banku, Kenkey and what more

Moderators: deciiva, Q' lypse

Postby *STOMP* » Fri Sep 26, 2008 11:04 pm

Kel$ wrote:

Squeeze koosei and see how much oil comes out of it..
Coco is starch, water and sugar..

By heart talk.Starch is carbohydrates n koosei is protein.sugar is carbohydrates as well.You think it is not healty.And please my mum did the kosei herself so spare me the oil crap
Kel$ wrote:pretty healthy..not a lot of nutrients tho..

Nonsense again.Do u know what u get from the groundnuts n plantain?Are u that anti Ghanaian food????
Kel$ wrote:Jollof is no different from oily special fried rice...basically Rice tomatoes and oil...

Fruit? :roll:
Your point being?
We were talking of a balanced n healty deit.Please provude me with a western style deit n lets compare :roll: :roll:
*STOMP*
BSc
BSc

Postby Janet » Sat Sep 27, 2008 12:20 am

*STOMP* wrote:
Janet wrote:A healthy diet is all about the choices you make, no matter where you live. There are a lot of westerners who make poor choices such as fatty meats and sugary foods. I agree. Don't forget that there are others who eat more healthy choices that are available. I found Ghanaians to make very poor choices in food when I was there. It seemed I was the only one ever eating fresh fruit. The dishes most folks ate were full of meat and oil...palm oil at that. It's one of the most unhealthy cooking oils there is. There is also the heavy, starchy food. What about vegetables? Leaves are not just for the livestock you know. Stomp, you don't know what you are talking about. After all, you're the one who tried to tell me that white people don't like spicy food. :lol: :lol: :lol:

You never visited my village where fresh food is normal.
Accra is no barometer of Ghanaian cuisine
I agree that it depends on the choices you make
So why assume that we do not make healthy choices in Ghaana
We hve no cholesterol palm oil if u know where to buy
starchy food is actually a good source of carbohydrates
Heavy food is synonymous with black people...juxt check soul food.
It is all about choices and that you must agree
:roll: :roll:

No cholesterol palm oil? Then what's in it? :lol:
You say heavy food is synonymous with black people, huh? So is that your rationale for why Ghanaians eat the way they do? Should they eat this way because it's what is expected of them based upon their skin color?? Do you think I eat pork rinds/skins simply because I live in Georgia? I wouldn't touch that sh*t!
Janet
BSc
BSc

Postby *STOMP* » Sat Sep 27, 2008 3:24 am

Janet wrote:
No cholesterol palm oil? Then what's in it? :lol:

http://www.americanpalmoil.com/palmtruth.html

Janet wrote:You say heavy food is synonymous with black people, huh? So is that your rationale for why Ghanaians eat the way they do? Should they eat this way because it's what is expected of them based upon their skin color?? Do you think I eat pork rinds/skins simply because I live in Georgia? I wouldn't touch that sh*t!

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/7644380

*STOMP*
BSc
BSc

Postby footballmaame » Mon Sep 29, 2008 3:10 pm

*STOMP* wrote:The meat in the west is not fatty
The oil in the west has no cholesterol
The west has no pot belly people
Talk of the e11 and other es in their foods
Lack of greens on their menu
Too much sugar etc etc.

You guys are both baloney

Are you serious :shock: :shock: :shock: ...the west has so many morbidly obese folks with potruding/hanging bellies i wonder where you have been. There is nothing wrong with Ghanaian food. You have to eat any kind of food in moderation and couple that with EXERCISE or some phyisical activity that will burn calories. You dont expect to over eat, under exercise and look fab. Tsew ...ma me dwen me ho. :roll: :roll: :roll:
footballmaame
SSS
SSS

Postby *STOMP* » Thu Oct 02, 2008 7:57 pm

footballmaame wrote:
*STOMP* wrote:The meat in the west is not fatty
The oil in the west has no cholesterol
The west has no pot belly people
Talk of the e11 and other es in their foods
Lack of greens on their menu
Too much sugar etc etc.

You guys are both baloney

Are you serious :shock: :shock: :shock: ...the west has so many morbidly obese folks with potruding/hanging bellies i wonder where you have been. There is nothing wrong with Ghanaian food. You have to eat any kind of food in moderation and couple that with EXERCISE or some phyisical activity that will burn calories. You dont expect to over eat, under exercise and look fab. Tsew ...ma me dwen me ho. :roll: :roll: :roll:

:shock: :shock: What the hell is wrong with u
Take your dictionary n look up for the word sarcasm....tcheeew

This akertesia self koraa weti make i do am :twisted:
Ami miri ka achr3r wo d3r ma mi ny3 free ahhba :roll: :roll: :roll:
*STOMP*
BSc
BSc

Postby *STOMP* » Tue Oct 21, 2008 3:55 pm

Swapping fried and salty foods for salads could cut the global incidence of heart attacks by a third, a study of eating habits suggests.

Researchers analysed the diet of 16,000 people in 52 countries and identified three global eating patterns, Circulation journal reports.

The typical Western diet, high in fat, salt and meat, accounted for about 30% of heart attack risk in any population.

A "prudent" diet high in fruit and veg lowered heart risk by a third.

An Oriental diet, high in tofu, soy and other sauces, made no difference to heart attack risk. The researchers created a dietary risk score questionnaire based on 19 food groups and then asked 5,561 heart attack patients and 10,646 people with known heart disease to fill out their survey.

People who ate a Western diet had a 35% greater risk of having a heart attack than those who ate little or no fried foods and meat.

The typical Western diet has been widely linked to heart disease. High salt in the diet can raise blood pressure and the wrong type of fat can clog blood vessels.

Investigating overall eating patterns is more true to life than looking at intake of individual foods or nutrients.

Global trend

The researchers said their work suggested that the same relationships between food and heart disease that are observed in Western countries exist in other regions of the world.

Lead author Romania Iqbal, of McMaster University in Canada, said: "30% of the risk of heart disease in a population could be related to poor diet."

The researchers said that while components of the Oriental diet might be bad for the heart - such as the salt in soy sauce - these elements were likely cancelled out by protective components.

Ellen Mason, a cardiac nurse for the British Heart Foundation, said: "This study shows that it doesn’t matter whether you live in Bolton or Bombay, or whether you like to eat British, African Caribbean or Asian foods.

"The vital thing is to reduce your intake of salty, fried, fatty food to a minimum but increase the amount of fruit and vegetables you eat."

Source: BBC
*STOMP*
BSc
BSc

Postby Mapepe » Sun Oct 26, 2008 9:59 pm

look, the longevity rate in ghana is very low!!! the food does not give any longevity! we need to be looking at why our lifespan is so short :idea:

you dare praise those kenkeys and less protein? :shock:

starch only dey inside!
Mapepe
MSc
MSc

Postby 419ner » Sun Dec 06, 2009 3:37 pm

Kel$ wrote:Ghanaian diet is not balanced at all 4 real... :oops:
Nigerians and Cameroonians have a more balanced diet..
Lots of leaves..

Well, I can say a few things here. I am not sure what you meant by Nigerians have a more balanced diet.I am not sure you'd be right in making such a sweeping observations.If your idea of a balanced diet is predicated on vegetable-based meals, then I'll say that applies to folks in Calabar,Akwa Ibom and to a limited extent Igbos.The rest of Nigerians don't fare better than Ghanaians in terms of balanced diet.

Rather, I think we can look up to Liberia and I think Sierra Leone for a better example of people who eat well.Liberians eat vegetables more than any people I have come across on earth. They eat cassava,potato leaves etc. with rice a lot.
419ner
SSS
SSS

Previous

Return to Food