Display optionsMobile website

Discussion Forums

Is he Africa's Greatest.....???

Discuss boxing and other sports

Moderator: deciiva

Is he Africa's Greatest.....???

Postby Stagger » Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:32 am

Accra, Ghana (CNN) -- In his fighting days during the 1980s and 1990s, Ghanaian boxing legend Azumah Nelson's thudding jabs and powerful overhands earned him the moniker "The Professor," named for the lessons he'd teach opponents inside the ring.

A former three-time world champion, Nelson is often described as the best boxer to come out of the African continent.
His daring feats inside the four corners of the ring made him a national hero in the West African country, while in 2004 "The Professor" became the first African to be inducted into the International Boxing Hall of Fame.
Today, Nelson's nickname has taken on new meaning as the former champion now spends his time teaching the secrets of boxing to a new generation of athletes.

Punching out of poverty
"The Professor" has established the Azumah Nelson Foundation, a not-for-profit organization working to help Ghana's deprived youth realize their potential through education and sport.

Preserving Ghana's boxing legacy
"We opened the foundation to help the needy children," says Nelson. "We look at you, see your talent and put you there -- the school is there the most important [thing]."

Born in 1958, Nelson made his professional debut in 1979. He quickly became a household name in Ghana and went on to win the British Commonwealth's Featherweight title.

Can boxing 'professor' train next champ?
But despite his early success, Nelson was still unknown outside his country -- that changed, however, in June 1982 when he was given the chance to fight world Featherweight champion Salvador Sanchez at New York's Madison Square Garden. Although Nelson lost the fight in the 15th round, his impressive performance against a formidable opponent such as Sanchez established him as a top talent in the international boxing scene.
He made history in 1984 when he beat Wilfredo Gomez to be crowned the World Boxing Council Featherweight champion. Four years later he cemented his reputation as boxing royalty when he won the world Super Featherweight/Junior Lightweight title.

Nelson's illustrious career went on for years until he decided to hang up his gloves with a record of 39 wins, 5 losses and 2 draws, with 28 knockout victories.
Nowadays, Nelson is trying to preserve the legacy of boxing in Ghana, working with young talent to help create the country's next crop of champions. He says the sport can help children escape poverty and hardship.
"I'm a servant -- God brought me to serve the people, especially the needy children," he says. "I want to see everybody smile."

Do you agree that Nelson is the greatest African boxer? Who is the ultimate African boxing champ?

http://edition.cnn.com/2012/08/07/sport ... index.html
Last edited by Stagger on Wed Aug 08, 2012 3:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Stagger
SSS
SSS
 
Posts: 576
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2005 7:37 pm
Location: USA

Postby Empire of Victory » Wed Aug 08, 2012 3:18 am

YES!!!
User avatar
Empire of Victory
Phd
Phd
 
Posts: 31074
Joined: Tue Mar 27, 2007 6:47 pm
Location: Winners Club: It's about winning!! I will not respond to trolls anymore....

Postby Nana Adjei » Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:09 am

No doubt about it. He is a legend
User avatar
Nana Adjei
BSc
BSc
 
Posts: 2153
Joined: Sun Jul 16, 2006 12:32 pm

Postby dr.luv » Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:28 am

Great boxer,
Great person
Humble individual
Respectful
Respected
Loved
All time Africa's best
dr.luv
BSc
BSc
 
Posts: 8870
Joined: Fri Mar 05, 2010 3:47 am

Postby keen observer » Wed Aug 08, 2012 12:05 pm

dr.luv wrote:Great boxer,
Great person
Humble individual
Respectful
Respected
Loved
All time Africa's best


Primitive old tribalist!!
keen observer
Professor
Professor
 
Posts: 53798
Joined: Tue Mar 19, 2002 6:46 pm

Postby The Ugandan... » Wed Aug 08, 2012 12:35 pm

Africa is not Ghana. :twisted:

John "The Beast" Mugabi was a bigger boxer. There is also Kassim Ouma “The Dream." A south paw and an ardent student of the sweet science. :lol:
And then there is Sharif Bogere. :lol: :lol:
User avatar
The Ugandan...
BSc
BSc
 
Posts: 1447
Joined: Sat Aug 25, 2007 7:20 pm

Postby dr.luv » Wed Aug 08, 2012 12:42 pm

keen observer wrote:
dr.luv wrote:Great boxer,
Great person
Humble individual
Respectful
Respected
Loved
All time Africa's best


Primitive old tribalist!!


Stop using my words and be original :lol: :lol:
dr.luv
BSc
BSc
 
Posts: 8870
Joined: Fri Mar 05, 2010 3:47 am

Postby Buffalo Soljah » Wed Aug 08, 2012 12:42 pm

The Ugandan... wrote:Africa is not Ghana. :twisted:

John "The Beast" Mugabi was a bigger boxer. There is also Kassim Ouma “The Dream." A south paw and an ardent student of the sweet science. :lol:
And then there is Sharif Bogere. :lol: :lol:


Then maybe send your objections to CNN?

http://edition.cnn.com/2012/08/07/sport ... index.html
Buffalo Soljah
BSc
BSc
 
Posts: 4301
Joined: Fri Sep 09, 2005 7:09 pm
Location: Planet football

Postby dr.luv » Wed Aug 08, 2012 12:43 pm

The Ugandan... wrote:Africa is not Ghana. :twisted:

John "The Beast" Mugabi was a bigger boxer. There is also Kassim Ouma “The Dream." A south paw and an ardent student of the sweet science. :lol:
And then there is Sharif Bogere. :lol: :lol:


How come CNN doesn't know them? :lol:
dr.luv
BSc
BSc
 
Posts: 8870
Joined: Fri Mar 05, 2010 3:47 am

Postby The Ugandan... » Wed Aug 08, 2012 12:59 pm

dr.luv wrote:
The Ugandan... wrote:Africa is not Ghana. :twisted:

John "The Beast" Mugabi was a bigger boxer. There is also Kassim Ouma “The Dream." A south paw and an ardent student of the sweet science. :lol:
And then there is Sharif Bogere. :lol: :lol:


How come CNN doesn't know them? :lol:
In case you didn't know, CNN is not an all knowing organization. They also have agendas to push too.

The question is do you know them? Any casual follower of the sweet science knows these guys.
User avatar
The Ugandan...
BSc
BSc
 
Posts: 1447
Joined: Sat Aug 25, 2007 7:20 pm

Postby dr.luv » Wed Aug 08, 2012 1:16 pm

The Ugandan... wrote:
dr.luv wrote:
The Ugandan... wrote:Africa is not Ghana. :twisted:

John "The Beast" Mugabi was a bigger boxer. There is also Kassim Ouma “The Dream." A south paw and an ardent student of the sweet science. :lol:
And then there is Sharif Bogere. :lol: :lol:


How come CNN doesn't know them? :lol:
In case you didn't know, CNN is not an all knowing organization. They also have agendas to push too.

The question is do you know them? Any casual follower of the sweet science knows these guys.


I don't know them and not sure if CNN has an agenda to push nelson...
dr.luv
BSc
BSc
 
Posts: 8870
Joined: Fri Mar 05, 2010 3:47 am

Postby The Ugandan... » Wed Aug 08, 2012 1:23 pm

dr.luv wrote:
The Ugandan... wrote:
dr.luv wrote:
The Ugandan... wrote:Africa is not Ghana. :twisted:

John "The Beast" Mugabi was a bigger boxer. There is also Kassim Ouma “The Dream." A south paw and an ardent student of the sweet science. :lol:
And then there is Sharif Bogere. :lol: :lol:


How come CNN doesn't know them? :lol:
In case you didn't know, CNN is not an all knowing organization. They also have agendas to push too.

The question is do you know them? Any casual follower of the sweet science knows these guys.


I don't know them and not sure if CNN has an agenda to push nelson...


You've got to be kidding! Marvin Haggler vs John "The Beast" Mugabi was a classic.

Kassim Ouma's story alone will win you over, but when you see him at his best, you will be floored.

Sharif Bogere is a legend in the making.

CNN has several agendas. This is their feel good story. However, if you want a more touching story look up Kassim Ouma "The Dream."


Nelson should be applauded for what he has done and continues to do for the sport and Ghana. That alone makes him bigger than the rest.
User avatar
The Ugandan...
BSc
BSc
 
Posts: 1447
Joined: Sat Aug 25, 2007 7:20 pm

Postby Hassim » Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:24 pm

The Ugandan... wrote:
dr.luv wrote:
The Ugandan... wrote:
dr.luv wrote:
The Ugandan... wrote:Africa is not Ghana. :twisted:

John "The Beast" Mugabi was a bigger boxer. There is also Kassim Ouma “The Dream." A south paw and an ardent student of the sweet science. :lol:
And then there is Sharif Bogere. :lol: :lol:


How come CNN doesn't know them? :lol:
In case you didn't know, CNN is not an all knowing organization. They also have agendas to push too.

The question is do you know them? Any casual follower of the sweet science knows these guys.


I don't know them and not sure if CNN has an agenda to push nelson...


You've got to be kidding! Marvin Haggler vs John "The Beast" Mugabi was a classic.

Kassim Ouma's story alone will win you over, but when you see him at his best, you will be floored.

Sharif Bogere is a legend in the making.

CNN has several agendas. This is their feel good story. However, if you want a more touching story look up Kassim Ouma "The Dream."
Nelson should be applauded for what he has done and continues to do for the sport and Ghana. That alone makes him bigger than the rest.


You are obviously confusing the objective of this story. It is about selecting THE GREATEST AFRICAN BOXER, not the most moving sob story. Yes we are all aware that Kassim Ouma was an abducted child soldier who eventually escaped to win a world title (?154 lbs.). Yes that's a very touching feel-good story but it does not necessarily put him in the running for greatest African boxer.

Now here's a question for you: Would you in all honesty vote John Mugabi, Kassim Ouma, or the other "John Schmo" into the International Boxing Hall of Fame?.......I didn't think so.

When we talk about the Greatest African Boxer, the only boxer who comes close to giving Azumah any meaningful challenge is Di*ck Tiger of Nigeria. Now go and wash your mouth with soap for daring to suggest that those 3 yahoos deserve any consideration for that lofty title. :oops:
Hassim
BSc
BSc
 
Posts: 7627
Joined: Thu May 19, 2005 2:14 am
Location: Ontario, Canada

Postby The Ugandan... » Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:29 pm

Hassim wrote:
The Ugandan... wrote:
dr.luv wrote:
The Ugandan... wrote:
dr.luv wrote:
The Ugandan... wrote:Africa is not Ghana. :twisted:

John "The Beast" Mugabi was a bigger boxer. There is also Kassim Ouma “The Dream." A south paw and an ardent student of the sweet science. :lol:
And then there is Sharif Bogere. :lol: :lol:


How come CNN doesn't know them? :lol:
In case you didn't know, CNN is not an all knowing organization. They also have agendas to push too.

The question is do you know them? Any casual follower of the sweet science knows these guys.


I don't know them and not sure if CNN has an agenda to push nelson...


You've got to be kidding! Marvin Haggler vs John "The Beast" Mugabi was a classic.

Kassim Ouma's story alone will win you over, but when you see him at his best, you will be floored.

Sharif Bogere is a legend in the making.

CNN has several agendas. This is their feel good story. However, if you want a more touching story look up Kassim Ouma "The Dream."
Nelson should be applauded for what he has done and continues to do for the sport and Ghana. That alone makes him bigger than the rest.


You are obviously confusing the objective of this story. It is about selecting THE GREATEST AFRICAN BOXER, not the most moving sob story. Yes we are all aware that Kassim Ouma was an abducted child soldier who eventually escaped to win a world title (?154 lbs.). Yes that's a very touching feel-good story but it does not necessarily put him in the running for greatest African boxer.

Now here's a question for you: Would you in all honesty vote John Mugabi, Kassim Ouma, or the other "John Schmo" into the International Boxing Hall of Fame?.......I didn't think so.

When we talk about the Greatest African Boxer, the only boxer who comes close to giving Azumah any meaningful challenge is Di*ck Tiger of Nigeria. Now go and wash your mouth with soap for daring to suggest that those 3 yahoos deserve any consideration for that lofty title. :oops:
You don't know what you're talking about. "The Beast" was a better boxer ( and a hall of famer) than your idol.
User avatar
The Ugandan...
BSc
BSc
 
Posts: 1447
Joined: Sat Aug 25, 2007 7:20 pm

Postby Hassim » Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:47 pm

The Ugandan... wrote:
Hassim wrote:
The Ugandan... wrote:
dr.luv wrote:
The Ugandan... wrote:
dr.luv wrote:
The Ugandan... wrote:Africa is not Ghana. :twisted:

John "The Beast" Mugabi was a bigger boxer. There is also Kassim Ouma “The Dream." A south paw and an ardent student of the sweet science. :lol:
And then there is Sharif Bogere. :lol: :lol:


How come CNN doesn't know them? :lol:
In case you didn't know, CNN is not an all knowing organization. They also have agendas to push too.

The question is do you know them? Any casual follower of the sweet science knows these guys.


I don't know them and not sure if CNN has an agenda to push nelson...


You've got to be kidding! Marvin Haggler vs John "The Beast" Mugabi was a classic.

Kassim Ouma's story alone will win you over, but when you see him at his best, you will be floored.

Sharif Bogere is a legend in the making.

CNN has several agendas. This is their feel good story. However, if you want a more touching story look up Kassim Ouma "The Dream."
Nelson should be applauded for what he has done and continues to do for the sport and Ghana. That alone makes him bigger than the rest.


You are obviously confusing the objective of this story. It is about selecting THE GREATEST AFRICAN BOXER, not the most moving sob story. Yes we are all aware that Kassim Ouma was an abducted child soldier who eventually escaped to win a world title (?154 lbs.). Yes that's a very touching feel-good story but it does not necessarily put him in the running for greatest African boxer.

Now here's a question for you: Would you in all honesty vote John Mugabi, Kassim Ouma, or the other "John Schmo" into the International Boxing Hall of Fame?.......I didn't think so.

When we talk about the Greatest African Boxer, the only boxer who comes close to giving Azumah any meaningful challenge is Di*ck Tiger of Nigeria. Now go and wash your mouth with soap for daring to suggest that those 3 yahoos deserve any consideration for that lofty title. :oops:
You don't know what you're talking about. "The Beast" was a better boxer ( and a hall of famer) than your idol.


Wait a minute: Are we talking about the same John Mugabi who was nearly decapitated by "Terrible" Terry Norris, losing his jr. middleweight title BY FIRST ROUND KNOCK-OUT? :shock: .....The same John Mugabi who was destroyed by Gerald "The G-Man" Mcllelan, again BY FIRST ROUND KNOCK-OUT? Do you, sir, have no sense of shame mentioning this loser's name, in the same breath, as The Professor's?

I rest my case.
Hassim
BSc
BSc
 
Posts: 7627
Joined: Thu May 19, 2005 2:14 am
Location: Ontario, Canada

Postby dr.luv » Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:57 pm

This Uganda dude is upset for nothing. Please take your yeye names elsewhere, we are talking about international boxers here ok? :lol: just ask everyone from the Americas to Australia who the prof is and you will have your answer. None knows about the names you're trying to force on us. Just so you know, we have plenty of boxers in Ghana who're on the same level as the names you mentioned :lol: ,it's the prof we are talking about here,not a feel good article 8)
dr.luv
BSc
BSc
 
Posts: 8870
Joined: Fri Mar 05, 2010 3:47 am

Postby niidawg3 » Wed Aug 08, 2012 3:04 pm

ade carpet. bobo say Mugabi!!!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
User avatar
niidawg3
MSc
MSc
 
Posts: 11052
Joined: Fri May 12, 2006 4:11 pm

Postby Hassim » Wed Aug 08, 2012 3:15 pm

dr.luv wrote:This Uganda dude is upset for nothing. Please take your yeye names elsewhere, we are talking about international boxers here ok? :lol: just ask everyone from the Americas to Australia who the prof is and you will have your answer. None knows about the names you're trying to force on us. Just so you know, we have plenty of boxers in Ghana who're on the same level as the names you mentioned :lol: ,it's the prof we are talking about here,not a feel good article 8)


I'll tell u what, the dude is not upset. He is just trying to get Ghanaians all riled up, by playing the role of sh*t disturber. Could be a distant relative of Ayo Akinfe.
Hassim
BSc
BSc
 
Posts: 7627
Joined: Thu May 19, 2005 2:14 am
Location: Ontario, Canada

Postby AsylumDowner » Wed Aug 08, 2012 3:21 pm

Hassim wrote:
dr.luv wrote:This Uganda dude is upset for nothing. Please take your yeye names elsewhere, we are talking about international boxers here ok? :lol: just ask everyone from the Americas to Australia who the prof is and you will have your answer. None knows about the names you're trying to force on us. Just so you know, we have plenty of boxers in Ghana who're on the same level as the names you mentioned :lol: ,it's the prof we are talking about here,not a feel good article 8)


I'll tell u what, the dude is not upset. He is just trying to get Ghanaians all riled up, by playing the role of sh*t disturber. Could be a distant relative of Ayo Akinfe.

With all due respect that honorary role of sh+t disturber is played beautifully by our august fella - Alahaji No - AKA Doctor No... This Ugandan is just trying hard to be like our Kwame moma
:lol: :lol:
User avatar
AsylumDowner
BSc
BSc
 
Posts: 5589
Joined: Mon Nov 27, 2006 5:32 pm
Location: Asylum Down

Postby Empire of Victory » Wed Aug 08, 2012 3:29 pm

We are talking about world class boxing you UGANDAN PIG! NOT garbage and trash!! No one has achieved what the professor did!!


:lol: :lol: :lol:

Get out of my face or I will come at you like the professor use to!!! :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:
User avatar
Empire of Victory
Phd
Phd
 
Posts: 31074
Joined: Tue Mar 27, 2007 6:47 pm
Location: Winners Club: It's about winning!! I will not respond to trolls anymore....

Next

Return to Boxing



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest