Discussion Forums

D.K Poison wants his money back

Discuss boxing and other sports

Moderator: deciiva

D.K Poison wants his money back

Postby Ekow » Fri Jun 22, 2012 3:25 pm

Give Me My Money – D.K. Poison Tell Ghana Gov’t
Published on June 22, 2012

Ghana’s first ever world boxing champion David Kotey, popularly called D.K. Poison, has poured out bitter sentiments about the country’s betrayal of his efforts and trust.

D.K. Poison intimated amidst disappointment that he single-handedly lent to Ghana $45,000 of his D.K. Poison vrs Fuku Yama bout purse as requested via telex by then Head of State General Ignatius Kutu Acheampong to buy Mackerel (tinned fish) to help alleviate the terrible hunger that the country was facing in 1976.
“They needed foreign currency in order to buy the fish for Ghana which they did not have. So the president sent me a telex to release the said money for the good people of Ghana. Over thirty years down the line, this money has not been paid by any government no matter how many petitions I wrote,” the ex-World champion told Blakk Rasta on the “Taxi Driver” show.

As a Young Pioneer, D.K. Poison said he never hesitated to release the money as demanded of him by the Kwame Nkrumah standards of “Ghana first”. After this gesture, the one-time world boxing featherweight champion said all the governments that came after General I.K. Acheampong had all neglected his contribution towards fighting the economic crisis in Ghana in 1976.

D.K. Poison said he was so embittered that he had vowed never to encourage any of his children to get involved in the sport of boxing.

He said he was grateful for the gift of an estate at Teshie-Nungua which he was given by the head of state at the time in the wake of winning the world title, but was quick to add that the money borrowed from him should have been promptly paid as agreed.

“I am just waiting patiently to die as there is nothing more to live for, considering the neglect and disrespect we as pioneer sports people get from authorities who should know better,” D.K. Poison added.

He made these remarks as he was being celebrated in the BLACK SENSE segment of Blakk Rasta’s award-winning TAXI DRIVER show on Hitz FM.

Ekow
Guru
Guru

Postby papalove » Fri Jun 22, 2012 3:34 pm

Any document to prove his case signed by both parties to the said amount at the time of transaction?
any witness?
Last edited by papalove on Fri Jun 22, 2012 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
papalove
MSc
MSc

Postby Abena Kwabena » Fri Jun 22, 2012 3:36 pm

Pay the man plus interest!

Wayome, CP, DK, ME....

When will it stop
Abena Kwabena
BSc
BSc

Postby Paddyreus » Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:52 pm

Hmmm, if it is true, pay the man.
Paddyreus
Phd
Phd

Postby papalove » Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:56 pm

Paddyreus wrote:Hmmm, if it is true, pay the man.

of course if he can prove it
he may be imagining things as well :lol:
papalove
MSc
MSc

Postby Datusman » Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:04 pm

Pay the man , this was a well known case. I remember as an eight year old DK came to Kumasi Sports stadium and we were all rushing to meet him.
Datusman
BSc
BSc

Postby Ekow » Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:06 pm

Datusman wrote:Pay the man , this was a well known case. I remember as an eight year old DK came to Kumasi Sports stadium and we were all rushing to meet him.

were you singing?

DK
DK
DK
Last edited by Ekow on Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ekow
Guru
Guru

Postby Ekow » Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:07 pm

Datusman wrote:Pay the man , this was a well known case. I remember as an eight year old DK came to Kumasi Sports stadium and we were all rushing to meet him.

atleast he got the estate house though unlike Black Stars 1978 players who are yet to get their promised houses.
Ekow
Guru
Guru

Postby kghanaba » Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:31 pm

papalove wrote:Any document to prove his case signed by both parties to the said amount at the time of transaction?
any witness?

At least there is more hearsay evidence on this than the judgement debt they are paying. This man did something tangible for Ghana's image and he should not be left to die a bitter man. I was a child then but I remember the song by either Nana Ampadu or Snr. Eddie Donkor "DK Poison akogye abaoo mo ma yen mbo ngye no so e.......Poison, Poison"
kghanaba
Taking A-level
Taking A-level

Postby Ekow » Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:46 pm

kghanaba wrote:
papalove wrote:Any document to prove his case signed by both parties to the said amount at the time of transaction?
any witness?

At least there is more hearsay evidence on this than the judgement debt they are paying. This man did something tangible for Ghana's image and he should not be left to die a bitter man. I was a child then but I remember the song by either Nana Ampadu or Snr. Eddie Donkor "DK Poison akogye abaoo mo ma yen mbo ngye no so e.......Poison, Poison"

:) :) :)
Ekow
Guru
Guru

Postby owarean » Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:00 pm

$45k almost 40 years ago should be worth at least $900,000 in today's dollars, and adding interests on top of that should give poison a cool two million plus dollars. any good lawyer (including even the numerous fake ones in ghana who never went to law school but earned right to practise through uncompleted apprenticeships in london) should be able to win this case for poison, and force the ghana govt to pay up.
owarean
BSc
BSc

Postby el Padrino » Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:04 pm

owarean wrote:$45k almost 40 years ago should be worth at least $900,000 in today's dollars, and adding interests on top of that should give poison a cool two million plus dollars. any good lawyer (including even the numerous fake ones in ghana who never went to law school but earned right to practise through uncompleted apprenticeships in london) should be able to win this case for poison, and force the ghana govt to pay up.
why dont u go win the case for him then? Since u most likely didnt go to law school anyway but are so sure of victory without having seen one iota of evidence.

The dumb aisle is over there :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :roll:
el Padrino
Phd
Phd

Postby paabo » Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:15 pm

Ekow wrote:
kghanaba wrote:
any witness?

:) :) :)

:D :D :D :D
paabo
Professor
Professor

Postby keen observer » Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:26 pm

Ekow wrote:

atleast he got the estate house though unlike Black Stars 1978 players who are yet to get their promised houses.

The man was fully funded by the government, so i think he would find it very difficult to prove it.
keen observer
Professor
Professor

Postby Datusman » Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:27 pm

Ekow wrote:

were you singing?

DK
DK
DK

Ekow u know we were singing his name, he came in one of those Golf cars that Acheampong was giving the women for their Azz.
Datusman
BSc
BSc

Postby Ken'To » Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:29 pm

Ekow wrote:

were you singing?

DK
DK
DK

:roll:

Opanyin to to... !!! Tweaaa!!!

See :lol: ?
Ken'To
MSc
MSc

Postby ChocIce? » Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:33 pm

If i am correct, this is about the 3rd time am hearing this story. The first was about 8 years ago.

BTW, i don't believe there're any docs backing those claims... any other folk would have tremble during 'em times to be in the good books of 'em head of states.

Things are different now. Just pay the man and let him enjoy the cash b4 he goes 6ft under... haba! :P
ChocIce?
BSc
BSc

Postby keen observer » Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:36 pm

Chillman! wrote:If i am correct, this is about the 3rd time am hearing this story. The first was about 8 years ago.

BTW, i don't believe there're any docs backing those claims... any other folk would have tremble during 'em times to be in the good books of 'em head of states.

Things are different now. Just pay the man and let him enjoy the cash b4 he goes 6ft under... haba! :P

They should pay him for what? The man was literally a state property!! The government fully funded all his activities. He was given a house and the NSC pays his retirement package.
keen observer
Professor
Professor

Postby Ekow » Fri Jun 22, 2012 7:58 pm

Datusman wrote:
Ekow wrote:

were you singing?

DK
DK
DK

Ekow u know we were singing his name, he came in one of those Golf cars that Acheampong was giving the women for their Azz.

eii he got Golf car and Estate House
good for him
Ekow
Guru
Guru

Postby ChocIce? » Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:53 pm

keen observer wrote:
Chillman! wrote:If i am correct, this is about the 3rd time am hearing this story. The first was about 8 years ago.

They should pay him for what? The man was literally a state property!! The government fully funded all his activities. He was given a house and the NSC pays his retirement package.
Massa, what u mean by state property? State property for whia? Even if the state funded all his activities dat doesn't mean the state 4 squeeze am for e $$.... $$ dat was promised to be refunded!

Was the house and the package given him a form of compensation for d cash he parted wif?
ChocIce?
BSc
BSc

Next

Return to Boxing