Display optionsMobile website

Discussion Forums

Who was Philip Gyau?

Talk about the latest matches, your club, etc

Moderators: deciiva, kebashorificatious

Who was Philip Gyau?

Postby kofi188 » Sat Oct 27, 2007 1:21 am

This guy apparently was a good footballer and almost made the US team to the 1990 world cup. Does any forumer know about him? He has a 15 yrs old kid, Joseph- Claude Gyau who is in the US under 17 program and will soon hit the headlines because some big teams in Germany are after him. Do people here know about this kid?
kofi188
BSc
BSc

Postby Succinct » Sat Oct 27, 2007 1:26 am

if he's sold out to the US, then he's of no relevance to Ghana. let him go...
Succinct
MSc
MSc

Re: Who was Philip Gyau?

Postby deciiva » Sat Oct 27, 2007 1:40 am

kofi188 wrote:This guy apparently was a good footballer and almost made the US team to the 1990 world cup. Does any forumer know about him? He has a 15 yrs old kid, Joseph- Claude Gyau who is in the US under 17 program and will soon hit the headlines because some big teams in Germany are after him. Do people here know about this kid?

Son of former 1960's Ghanaian International Joseph Agyemang Gyau
deciiva

Postby Succinct » Sat Oct 27, 2007 1:42 am

deciiva wrote:
kofi188 wrote:This guy apparently was a good footballer and almost made the US team to the 1990 world cup. Does any forumer know about him? He has a 15 yrs old kid, Joseph- Claude Gyau who is in the US under 17 program and will soon hit the headlines because some big teams in Germany are after him. Do people here know about this kid?

do you mean jean-claude is the grandson of agyeman gyau?
Succinct
MSc
MSc

Postby deciiva » Sat Oct 27, 2007 1:45 am

Succinct wrote:
deciiva wrote:

do you mean jean-claude is the grandson of agyeman gyau?

of course
deciiva

Postby malata » Sat Oct 27, 2007 1:45 am

Yes, Philip Gyau is the son of the famous Agyeman Gyau who used to play for BA United and the BlackStars a long time ago. Philip is quite well known for his exploits at Howard University's soccer team in the mid 80's. I think he has a stint with one of the US Indoor soccer clubs until Tatu broke his leg.
So soccer runs in thier genes so it's no surprise Joseph Claude is being sought by big teams in Germany.
malata
JSS
JSS

Postby Hassim » Sat Oct 27, 2007 1:51 am

If the kid plays half as good as his grandpa, he'll go places.
Hassim
BSc
BSc

Postby kofi188 » Sat Oct 27, 2007 2:05 am

Wow, you guys are right on the money. Tx for your info. Below is some information I have on him for those who did not know much about this guy like me:

USA 2 - North Korea 1
Oct 19th, 1991
Washington DC

Meola, Michallik (Savage), Armstrong, Balboa, Clavijo, Murray, Kinnear (Eck), Quinn, Henderson (Gyau), Perez, Wynalda

This would be the last of Philip Gyau’s six caps for the United States. The Maryland youth soccer and Howard University product spent most of his professional career in the DC area, playing for the American Professional Soccer League’s Washington Diplomats and Maryland Bays, as well as the Continental Indoor Soccer League's Washington Warthogs. He was also captain and then coach of the US National Beach Soccer Team until 2002.

Gyau recently coached DC United’s Under-13 squad, and his son Joseph-Claude, 15, is in the US Under-17 residency program at Bradenton, and has attracted serious interest from German clubs VfB Stuttgart and Bayern Munich. His father Joseph played for Ghana, and in the North American Soccer League, and had the distinction of playing three seasons for the Washington team in all of its three NASL incarnations -- when they were the Whips (1968), the Darts (1970), and the Diplomats (1974).

Interview with Philip Gyau (October, 2007)

USSoccerPlayers: What are your memories of the US-North Korea game?

Gyau: That’s a long time ago. I thought we could have won that game, but soccer’s unpredictable. I just enjoyed playing with those guys. For me personally, at that point in time, I was maybe an outsider, because I kind of came on the team from nowhere. It was difficult to break in because most of those guys had been there with the regional teams and been playing in that system for a long time. I wasn’t really an American, you know? Now if you’re a good player you get a solid chance.

USSoccerPlayers: What do you remember about your teammates that day?

Gyau: When I was first on the National Team, Eric [Wynalda] was just a young kid. I was in St. Louis doing some kind of fitness test, and Bruce Murray was telling me, ‘This new kid is coming in, he’s supposed to be the real deal.’ This was before they started getting ready for the [1990] World Cup. In 1989 or 1990 I was MVP in the American Professional Soccer League. That gave me an extra chance to play on the National Team, so when I wasn’t selected to go to the World Cup I was disappointed.

But a coach has his own ideas, and who he thinks will fit, so you can understand that. But he [Bob Gansler] took all these other kids who’d never even played in a league. They came back from Italy and they were doing some kind of tour, and Gansler said, ‘I’ll give you a second chance to be on the team,’ but then he never really did. Then Bora [Milutinovic] came in and he had his own ideas.

I thought Eric was good, but they gave him a really good chance to succeed. That’s what you need as a young player, you need that support. When Eric first came in, they decided -- here’s someone we really want in the program, and we’ll do whatever we can to help him succeed. And that’s what they did.

USSoccerPlayers: How difficult was it for you in the APSL to get noticed by the National Team, compared with the players who were coming up through the college system?

Gyau: Eric was a good player, so that’s okay. But then you have some guys they were giving chances to that weren’t very good. I don’t want to say any names, but there were guys they were giving chances to that didn’t mean it. That was disheartening.

Now that I look back I don’t have any hard feelings. Some of the college coaches had direct contact with the National Team, but if you were in the APSL, the only way in was if you were an All-Star or MVP or something like that. [former Howard University coach] Lincoln Phillips called Gansler and said ‘You should take a look at this guy.’

The first time, I played against Benfica [a 2-1 win at Giants Stadium, June 1989, Gyau scoring the game winner] and did well, and I even moved to Belgium on the strength of that. I guess I got a direct line through Lincoln Phillips too.

Back then we were playing all these club games, but they didn’t count as caps. It gave you good experience. Now the exposure to soccer now is so much. When we were playing we could hardly get one or two games on television.

USSoccerPlayers: After the North Korea game, did you get called into any more camps?

Gyau: After that game, we played against Costa Rica in Dallas. We went to the training camp in Dallas and I was doing very well, scoring goals left and right. Then the guy never even selected me for the game. And I was thinking, ‘What happened?’ because what happens at practice is how you select the players. But that was the end of it.

My father didn’t want me to play for the US, because he didn’t think I’d get a chance. He wanted me to play for Ghana.
Urban Opinion
By Bill Urban
kofi188
BSc
BSc

Postby KD » Sat Oct 27, 2007 12:18 pm

kofi188 wrote:My father didn’t want me to play for the US, because he didn’t think I’d get a chance. He wanted me to play for Ghana.
Urban Opinion
By Bill Urban

Bullock sht...he thought of Ghana as second choice? :roll:
KD
Phd
Phd

Postby kofi188 » Fri Dec 07, 2007 12:46 am

Saw Joseph Gyau play for the US under 17 against Russia today on FSC. The guy should keep playing like he is doing now and he will be a gem. Has a lot of confidence on the ball. Was plaing in the midfield as an attacker. Dribbles well and likes to take on opponents.
BTW, US won by two goals to zip. They will play Brazil on Saturday. Not sure if FSC will transmit that match.
kofi188
BSc
BSc

Postby african star » Sat Dec 08, 2007 12:57 pm

Kwabena Dankwa wrote:
kofi188 wrote:My father didn’t want me to play for the US, because he didn’t think I’d get a chance. He wanted me to play for Ghana.
Urban Opinion
By Bill Urban

Bullock sht...he thought of Ghana as second choice? :roll:

Don't talk about things you don't know.
african star
SSS
SSS

Postby african star » Sat Dec 08, 2007 1:05 pm

kofi188 wrote:Saw Joseph Gyau play for the US under 17 against Russia today on FSC. The guy should keep playing like he is doing now and he will be a gem. Has a lot of confidence on the ball. Was plaing in the midfield as an attacker. Dribbles well and likes to take on opponents.
BTW, US won by two goals to zip. They will play Brazil on Saturday. Not sure if FSC will transmit that match.

The game will be on FSC at 2:30pm. Joseph has always been a dribbler and he can take on a whole defense. He is quick and explosive off the dribble and can shoot with both feet. And most of all, playing for Ghana if he can make the grade is a strong possibility.

african star
SSS
SSS

Postby Dovifat » Sat Dec 08, 2007 2:03 pm

african star wrote:And most of all, playing for Ghana if he can make the grade is a strong possibility.

Possible like in he theoretically could but won't even consider, or possible like in it actually might happen ?
Dovifat
BSc
BSc

Postby african star » Sat Dec 08, 2007 3:39 pm

Dovifat wrote:
african star wrote:And most of all, playing for Ghana if he can make the grade is a strong possibility.

Possible like in he theoretically could but won't even consider, or possible like in it actually might happen ?

I talk to his father often and Joe goes to Ghana often to visit. He was even considering taking Joe to Ghana for trials for the U-17 team but when interest started coming from Europe from teams like Chelsea, Bayern, Stuggart etc, that was put in the back burner. Remember his grandfather was a pioneer of Ghanaian soccer and wanted his son and now his grandson toplay for his homeland. In addition Phillip was not treated right by the US national team, the guy was the MVP and highest goalscorer of the league in 89/90 and he was passed up for a white college kid.
african star
SSS
SSS

Postby el Padrino » Sat Dec 08, 2007 3:54 pm

african star wrote:
Dovifat wrote:

I talk to his father often and Joe goes to Ghana often to visit. He was even considering taking Joe to Ghana for trials for the U-17 team but when interest started coming from Europe from teams like Chelsea, Bayern, Stuggart etc, that was put in the back burner. Remember his grandfather was a pioneer of Ghanaian soccer and wanted his son and now his grandson toplay for his homeland. In addition Phillip was not treated right by the US national team, the guy was the MVP and highest goalscorer of the league in 89/90 and he was passed up for a white college kid.
Look at all these gems that are going unnoticed. How can a previous international's son play for another country? These are things that wouldnt occur if we treated our ex-internationals well. Perhaps a Black Stars Alumni?
el Padrino
Phd
Phd

Postby B DIDDY » Sat Dec 08, 2007 7:32 pm

el Padrino wrote:
african star wrote:
Dovifat wrote:

Look at all these gems that are going unnoticed. How can a previous international's son play for another country? These are things that wouldnt occur if we treated our ex-internationals well. Perhaps a Black Stars Alumni?

spot on :idea:
B DIDDY
Phd
Phd

Postby Yaw Opare Kumcha » Sat Dec 08, 2007 7:34 pm

Imam Stillro al Fatwa wrote:
T'DonKilla wrote:THIS USELESS POT BELLY MINIM MINIM GUY....HES BEEN EXPOSED AGAIN :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Its your Mama, the drug dealing village prostitute, who has the pot belly.
Wo ho fi potooo se Asawaase borlar so.
Asanteni aboa:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Ok so this guy is sensitive after all. This is so uncalled for....no one is talking about ethnicity here...this emotional prick has crossed the line....HE MUST RESIGN HIS POST or else!!!!

This is not the only time he has shown that he is unprofessional....
He is changing peoples post to suite his interest....Akua is witness
Yaw Opare Kumcha
MSc
MSc

Postby kofi188 » Sat Dec 08, 2007 7:38 pm

Joseph Gyau is on FSC now playing for the US U-17 against Brazil
kofi188
BSc
BSc

Postby B DIDDY » Sat Dec 08, 2007 7:40 pm

kofi188 wrote:Joseph Gyau is on FSC now playing for the US U-17 against Brazil

hows the boy performing so far
B DIDDY
Phd
Phd

Postby deciiva » Sat Dec 08, 2007 7:41 pm

Gyau is starting in midfield vrs Brazil now

USA is playing 4-3-1-2 (Gyau on Right Mid)

Brazil in usual 4-2-2-2
deciiva

Next

Return to Football